Dallas Morning News 2016 Golf Course Rankings

14,838 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 1208HawkTree
Zjones920
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
I've only played Wolfdancer that one time but overall I'd say it was in very good shape. It seemed to me like they recently verticutted and top dressed the greens (maybe early last week).

The greens were a little bit slow, but I'm not sure the course would be playable if they had their greens really fast. The greens, especially on the front 9, are set on hills and have HUGE undulations in them. So if they were running really fast there would be putts that would be literally impossible.

Fun course, but I'd never pay the full $150 rate. Just my opinion.
I played there a few years back. I don't really remember the course. I do know I shot -3 on the back both days to shoot 79. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that this time.
cheeky
AG
30 for me. 7 of top 20.

Don't understand the love for WP. Good, yes, but not top 15.
garym2001
AG
You and I have very different opinions of golf courses. I've played 40 of the top 100 from that list (not Dallas National) and Whispering Pines is clearly the best of the bunch that I've played. The final 6 holes are unbelievable.
skippytimmy
AG
quote:
You and I have very different opinions of golf courses. I've played 40 of the top 100 from that list (not Dallas National) and Whispering Pines is clearly the best of the bunch that I've played. The final 6 holes are unbelievable.
yeah, I have never heard of anyone that wasn't impressed with WP
JR Ewingford
I just do not like Texas Star anymore. Played it 3 times since new greens have been put in and quite frankly they suck.
t - cam
AG
quote:
I just do not like Texas Star anymore. Played it 3 times since new greens have been put in and quite frankly they suck.

I love Texas star mainly because I have played it well in the past. Shot 1 over ther once when I hadn't broken 80 in a long time. Great memories.
MarkPro
Just looked the list over again, and was surprised that The Falls wasn't on the top 50 public list. Played it a couple months ago and it was as good as I had remembered it. Well conditioned, fun to play, and relatively inexpensive.
jja79
AG
Another thread here says it's closing down next week.
Old Town Ag
AG
Well I am playing these three courses in 2 weeks:

Whispering Pines
Miramont CC
Traditions Golf Club at Texas A&M

And I have already played these:

Barton Creek - Fazio Foothills
Dallas Athletic Club - Blue Course
Crown Colony CC
Wolfdancer Golf Club
Barton Creek - Canyons Course
Walden on Lake Conroe
Texas Star Golf Course
Dallas Athletic Club - Gold Course
Squaw Valley GC, Comanche Lakes
Resort Course at La Cantera
Cypresswood Golf Club, Tradition Course
Squaw Valley GC, Apache Links
The Quarry Golf Club
Barton Creek Resort, Palmer Lakeside
Cowboys Golf Club
Lantana Golf Club

Which will bring my total to 19!
t - cam
AG
Surprised cedar crest isn't on the value list. That is a great course. It's in the hood but it's great.
cheeky
AG
quote:
Maybe, but a great course considers all 18 holes and collectively it just doesn't make top 10 for me. Just my opinion no disrespect to anyone
skippytimmy
AG
Certainly not disrespectful. Cedar crest in the top 100 seems disrespectful....... CEDAR CREST????
DannyDuberstein
AG
Maybe if the ranking was done a few decades ago.
t - cam
AG
quote:
Certainly not disrespectful. Cedar crest in the top 100 seems disrespectful....... CEDAR CREST????

I'm only talking about the top 25 value courses list. Freaking sherrill park course 2 is on there. Cedar has a great layout and for only about 40 bucks it's a good low dollar course.
TheWoodsAg
AG
quote:
Ive played more of the top 100 in the world than the top 100 in Texas
Que the bragging montage.....

(of course Chad and I are right there with you)
Mr.Bond
AG
I just got back from playing Myrtle Beach all weekend..... I've found my retirement spot, good God
Zjones920
quote:
I've only played Wolfdancer that one time but overall I'd say it was in very good shape. It seemed to me like they recently verticutted and top dressed the greens (maybe early last week).

The greens were a little bit slow, but I'm not sure the course would be playable if they had their greens really fast. The greens, especially on the front 9, are set on hills and have HUGE undulations in them. So if they were running really fast there would be putts that would be literally impossible.

Fun course, but I'd never pay the full $150 rate. Just my opinion.
Well we played 36 holes on Friday, just as you said. Greens were slowww. Front 9 of the first round was best ball. I shot 38. back 9 of the first round was Alternate shot so I don't know what we shot. Second round front 9 I shot 41 and the back 9 I shot 35. The match was over around hole 13, the poor guy I was playing couldn't catch a break all afternoon.
Poot
quote:
the poor guy I was playing couldn't catch a break all afternoon.

Don't you just hate it when that happens?
Mr. Nussbaum
AG
quote:

Are the greens at Traditions better than they were several years ago? Not that they were bad, just that they weren't as top notch as you'd expect and pretty slow.

I don't think anyone has had an argument with greens over the last 2 years since they redid them. They are phenomenal.
garym2001
AG
Played Traditions on Sat and the greens are the best they have ever been.
t - cam
AG
quote:
quote:

Are the greens at Traditions better than they were several years ago? Not that they were bad, just that they weren't as top notch as you'd expect and pretty slow.

I don't think anyone has had an argument with greens over the last 2 years since they redid them. They are phenomenal.

I think traditions and skycreek ranch are the two best public golf experiences in the metroplex. Definitely deliver a premium club experience. Great club houses, solid cart girls, course in tip top shape.
07fta07
AG
I think everyone is referring to Traditions in Bryan, which is private.
t - cam
AG
quote:
I think everyone is referring to Traditions in Bryan, which is private.

You know what? I was thinking of the tribute.

Anyway, carry on.
bagger05
AG
I really like Tribute.
beachfront71
AG

Nobody here has played Cordillera Ranch?
Ide like to figure out how DMN dropped it 2 spots..
turfaggie24
AG
I have...Think it's somewhere in between IMO
1208HawkTree
AG
Played 19. How Sweetwater is on there and Palmer La Cantera isn't, stumps me.

7. Cordillera Ranch
21/30. Royal Oaks - doesn't specify which is Houston or Dallas. I've played Houston.
22. Barton Creek Fazio Foothills
29. Oak Hills
39. Traditions
43. Woodlands Tournament
45. Lakeside
53. GC of Houston Tournament
54. Palmilla Beach
55. Gentle Creek
59. Barton Creek Fazio Canyons
60. Woodforest
72. Black Hawk
76. La Cantera Resort
80. BraeBurn
85. Cypresswood Tradition
89. Sweetwater
95. Cowboys
98. Eagle Pointe

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.