Ryder Cup Story

753 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by GIF Reactor
Wildcat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Ryder Cup thread reminds me of a cool story bro.

Spring of 2010 my buddy calls and says he has us inside the ropes spotting for TV at the Ryder Cup in Wales, but we gotta commit that day with his contact at NBC sports. I throw caution to the wind and say yes. I picture myself walking along Tiger and Phil reporting club selections and yardages...and getting paid by NBC to do it.

We make the arrangements, fly over, and drive down to Cardiff. We arrive at the media compound and it is pissing rain. Pissing rain like I have never seen.

It was then that they informed us that carts would not be allowed on the course, they couldn't find any young guys to carry the tripods and batteries for the camera crews, but found some old coots that could spot. We were reassigned.

So they hand us these 40+ pound tripods and a back-pack full of lithium ion batteries and we head to the course. I have rain gear, but it is of no consequence. I am soaked in the first 10 min. We spend 3+ days trudging those damn things around. I saw little golf as I was dodging the crowd and running ahead to get the tripod to the green or behind the tee.

The mud in that tidal basin smelled like raw sewage and it was on everything I owned. I saved one set of clean, dry clothes and put everything else in the hotel waste bin before flying home on Monday. If you recall, they had to finish that event on Monday. The weather finally broke and it was pretty, but I was on a plane back to the states. At least I didn't have to watch Hunter flipping Mahan flub a chip to lose the cup.

I know, cool story bro
GIF Reactor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, it is a cool story bro.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.