buying first set of clubs

5,267 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by WHOOP!'91
CRC2006
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TIA,

Where are you located?

I might have some good suggestions for you on getting started.
WHOOP!'91
AG
Find a local course that has a "player development" program. Mine lets me hit all the range balls I want and play the course just ahead of twilight for $9.

You don't want to go out Saturday morning and spend $80+ when you're just starting out.
MarylandAG
If the "where are you located" is meant for me, I'm in Cypress, TX not far from Barker Cypress and 290 area. I had no idea they had "player development programs" at some golf course, that seems like a great idea, if anyone knows of courses that have those programs in the Cypress area, I sure would like to know. Before any of this I need clubs though there is something a bit uncomfortable about playing with borrowed clubs. Any thoughts on the set I linked?
West Texan
AG
Revisiting this thread. I still haven't purchased any clubs yet because I haven't had time to go play anyway, but I've been trying to do some research. From looking at a number of different fitting charts, at 6'5" with a 38" wrist to floor measurement, the consensus is that I need to add 1". I've seen plenty of debate over how correct that is or isn't, but it at least seems like a pretty good starting point. I've been having a hard time finding used complete sets that are extended, but I can find used single clubs and iron sets that are longer. With that said, I think my first purchase will be some Ping i3 irons. They seem to have a good reputation, even for clubs that aren't super new, and I can find them for less than $200.

Any other suggestions beyond that? What kind of drivers, woods, putters, etc. would y'all suggest as pretty good bang for my buck? I'm well aware that I know next to nothing about golf, so if I'm doing something stupid, let me know, I won't be offended.
Scimitar
AG
Beginner here, too, but I found this chart from Ping useful...shows a matrix of height and wrist to floor distance to gauge the lie angle.

Ping color code chart

My pro fit me with marking tape on the sole and face of the club and had me hit balls off an impact board. My lie angle was about 2.5* flat which he fitted into a set of Ping G25s orange dot. I'm 5'10" with long arms, but since I was hitting the face squarely pretty consistently, he decided not to adjust the length of the shafts..

Played them for the first time yesterday and love them. I still have a lot of work to do, but could definitely see the difference from my old sheety clubs.

My advice, get fitted by someone that knows what they are doing. It'll save you years of heartache.
'03ag
Lengthening a club is easy. Find the clubs you want and have them lengthened if needed.
West Texan
AG
quote:
Lengthening a club is easy. Find the clubs you want and have them lengthened if needed.

What would it cost to have the clubs lengthened?
'03ag
you know I say that forgetting that not everyone DIY's as much as I do. I tend to buy girps on clearance just to have spares. I actually just bought a new set that need grips and extension. it's probably going to cost me $6/club all in.

My guess is it will cost you $5-6 PLUS the cost of a new grip to have Golfsmith do it. That could be as much as $15/club or $120 for 3-PW. so not cheap, BUT most clubs you're going to find are standard length. So . . . you'll have weigh the pros and cons.
West Texan
AG
quote:
you know I say that forgetting that not everyone DIY's as much as I do. I tend to buy girps on clearance just to have spares. I actually just bought a new set that need grips and extension. it's probably going to cost me $6/club all in.

My guess is it will cost you $5-6 PLUS the cost of a new grip to have Golfsmith do it. That could be as much as $15/club or $120 for 3-PW. so not cheap, BUT most clubs you're going to find are standard length. So . . . you'll have weigh the pros and cons.

Thanks for the info. I guess it just depends on what I can find that's already longer vs what kind of deal I could get on standard length clubs that would need to be extended.
superbowlringd
Howdy: I just listed a few sets on Craigslist Houston, my wife has been after me to sell some of my golf stuff..
I live in Fairfield, next to outlet mall. Any one of these sets would fit your needs for now, under $100 too.
WHOOP!'91
AG
How about a link?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.