Hit next to "That Guy" on the range yesterday

4,683 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Hoyt Ag
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All you golfers out there I beg you please don't be like the tool I was hitting next to last night. Or should I say, hitting next to his 4 and 3 year olds (complete guess). It was so bad it actually threw off some of my focus. I don't think that my sub-par session performance and his **** were coincidental.

I know there are other threads on here about this, but I've never seen it that ridiculously bad, and not for that young of a child. The girl was older and left more to her own devices it seemed when I got there. The boy was the young'un. His dad's whiny/disappointment style of coaching pissed me off. "No you're in the wrong spot," "get to the finish," "stay balanced," "What are you doing," and worst of all, "Stop wasting my time." The boy even complained about his thirst and the dad kept brushing it off.

I would've chosen another bay, but the range was packed. The best part of my session was when the whiny dad went inside for more balls. I was more relaxed and actually having a good time. But I swear that dude was walking back, still 70 feet away when I started hearing him again...not so much yelling, but was more a very loud talk, to his son and daughter. Shortly after returning he went off to another section of the range with his daughter (seriously 100 feet behind me) to hit drives on grass. Every now and then his whine would pierce the air, asking his son who was still just in front of me, "Stop! What are you doing?" ......All the boy was doing was hitting a golf ball and then kicking one. Both balls went down the range. Sorry dad that he wasn't balanced or hitting with good tempo.

I was at the range for a large bucket's worth, and took ample breaks. When I left they were still hitting, and when I was leaving the putting green thereafter he was drilling short game with his son at the short game green.

Probably the worst I've ever felt for a kid being pushed by their parent. At 3ish years old, there is NOT a fine line between too much pushing and not enough. Maybe you were the one wasting the kids' time, *****.

On the other hand, I got a wry grin on my face when he turned and I saw that his orange/white Titelist cap was a sip one. ******bag. Never not going to the range without backup earphones from now on.
agsalaska
AG
Nothing I love more than taking my 3 year old boy to the indoor range at Galaxy in Southlake. He hits, knocks, pushes, and occasionally kicks all the balls down the range looking up at the monitor to see the 19 yard shot tracked on the screen. Then he will take a bucket, pick them all up, and do it again. He's playing golf And he loves it. He can actually knock the crap out of the ball when he puts his mind to it. But he doesn't have to.

It's funny. He will go upstairs and put a proper golf shirt on before we go.
Whoop04
What you describe isn't "that guy" in my mind. You are describing a giant asshat and overall terrible person. To me, "That guy" is Rickie fowler wannabe hitting over 100
BigHitterDaLama
I live in South Orange County, CA......(many large Asian communities nearby). Some of the things these parents have these kids, more girls than boys from what I see mind you, is beyond ridiculous.

Chipotlemonger
AG
I didn't even mention ethnicity in this particular case, but he was asian ironically.
Baby Billy
AG
That guys kid is gonna be a winner
bagger05
AG
Funniest thing about this type of scenario is that generally speaking one of the worst things you can do for your swing is take advice from an unqualified observer. Even if the kid was old enough to understand what his dad was saying, the dad probably doesn't know s##t about the golf swing. Once the kid is old enough to listen to and implement the advice, he will almost certainly just be grooving bad habits anyway.
CapCity12thMan
AG
AggieT
AG
He is teaching his kids to hate golf. When I take my five year old to the range with me, I only emphasize etiquette- don't disturb other golfers and don't screw around (too much). If he wants pointers he can ask me... and I'll probably just sign him up for lessons. He loves to wear the attire, drive the cart, get a hot dog in the clubhouse afterwards, etc. He has plenty of time to learn the finer points of the game, I just want to make sure he learns to enjoy playing with his dad. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but we have a good time together and he always asks to go with me.
CapCity12thMan
AG
only thing I have told my kid is to stay on his mat, or between ropes so he doesnt get hit. When he starts to get frustrated with bad shots or complete whiffs, I'll step in.

The biggest issue for my kids - keeping their feet still, so I tell them to stop moving around/spinning. once they do this it is a bit harder for them to get the club up over their head, which is where it helps if they use their shoulders and hips.

so for me, - I just remind them to keep their feet still and use big muscles. I could care less where the ball goes.

EDIT - and the funnest part for them is getting a snack in the shop and getting their own range balls from the machine.
AgPrognosticator
AG
My 3 (almost 4) year old has a blast at the range. She especially loves top golf. I take her at 9am on Saturdays right when they open. She can seriously hit nonstop for 1hr+. I have basically beg to hit a couple shots in the bay before she kicks me out. It's all good though -- I just order a bloody and watch her have a ball.
TexAgs Legend
Parents that demand excellence from their children instead of handing out love like it's a participation trophy
agsalaska
AG
quote:
Parents that demand excellence from their children instead of handing out love like it's a participation trophy
allow me to be the ONLY one that responds. Go away troll. Take it to another board. That's not what this is about and you know it. Take your troll to another board.
GeorgeBailey
AG
I hit next to Jordan Speith at the range over Thanksgiving 2013 holiday. Now you know--the rest of the story (imagine Paul Harvey voice).
AgPrognosticator
AG
quote:
I hit next to Jordan Speith at the range over Thanksgiving 2013 holiday. Now you know--the rest of the story (imagine Paul Harvey voice).
Did you give him a swing tip? Is that why he won the 2015 Masters!? What do you charge? I want a lesson!
Bunk Moreland
quote:

Told him I liked his swing, but it just wasn't my tempo.

GeorgeBailey
AG
I showed him the perfect example of how NOT to swing the club. He seemed to catch on pretty well.

He was quiet, no one approached him...probably didn't realize who he even was at the time.
BigHitterDaLama
quote:
paging Todd Marinovich's father.....
proudaggie02
AG
Nice trip to the range last night with my daughters. Jogged to the course with my girls in the double-jog stroller. My little one stayed in the stroller while I hit 50 balls working on 60-100 yard shots. The older one collected strawberries & blueberries (aka golf balls) in the bucket. After that, I chipped for 10 minutes w/ my older one retrieving balls.... while pretending to be a dog.
LeFraud
quote:
Nice trip to the range last night with my daughters. Jogged to the course with my girls in the double-jog stroller. My little one stayed in the stroller while I hit 50 balls working on 60-100 yard shots. The older one collected strawberries & blueberries (aka golf balls) in the bucket. After that, I chipped for 10 minutes w/ my older one retrieving balls.... while pretending to be a dog.

This sounds awesome. Can't wait until mine is able to get out there with me.
proudaggie02
AG
^
I started taking my oldest one to the range when she was about 6 weeks old if I remember correctly. She loved sitting in her carrier, drinking a bottle, and watching me hit balls.
CapCity12thMan
AG
quote:
I loved her sitting in her carrier, drinking a bottle, and watching me hit balls.

FIFY
proudaggie02
AG
^
Very true.

But I'm pretty sure her smiles, noises, and kisses weren't all a cover up.
TexAgs Legend
quote:
quote:
paging Todd Marinovich's father.....

Yes, that's kind of what I was getting at. Don't let agsalaska know that you responded to me though. He takes the internet very seriously and would be devastated to know that you corresponded with me on TexAgs.
93MarineHorn
Worse than that guy is the hacker that has a little hissy fit after every bad shot (which is pretty much every shot), muttering to himself and forcefully grounding the club (thunk thunk). I guess I'm kind of sensitive but that sh/t drives me crazy.
Chipotlemonger
AG
What about us hacks that ground our club just occasionally once in a while?

I put the driver up on hole 14ish the other day, with nice mud makeup on it. Thing is in timeout.
93MarineHorn
I have no problem with that out on the course. Hearing it every 20 seconds from the guy next to me on the range, however, is a totally different matter.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I witnessed this yesterday at Memorial. I ended up moving because he was getting a little too loud for my liking, and also was dropping f bombs with little kids around.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.