Golf Ball dilemma

13,664 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AV8ORAG84
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A low ball spin would be like 2100-2200 with a driver...to expect a ball to change that by more than 20% would be a lot

If ur ball spin is like 2800 off a driver than u need a different shaft and/or club
ORAggieFan
Ha! In my driver fitting I was happy anything below 3000. Pretty sure I'm decent amount below that now with lessons, but I was spinnin all of them a lot.
Aggie369
AG
2800 is prob fine...3000 is a better cut off
jj9000
AG
Differences in ProV1 vs. ProV1x?
  • Feel - ProV1 feels much softer with all clubs than a ProV1x
  • Driver - ProV1 spins more off the Driver than the ProV1x
  • Long/Mid Irons - ProV1 spins more than the ProV1x
  • Greenside spin - ProV1x spins more than the ProV1 (yes, I typed that correctly)
  • Distance with all clubs - Negligible
Essentially it boils down to feel.
jj9000
AG
AgPrognosticator
AG
quote:
  • Greenside spin - ProV1x spins more than the ProV1 (yes, I typed that correctly)

That's actually not currently true according to the Titliest website. Something else that ought to be taken into account is that different generations of each ball have had slightly different characteristics.

jj9000
AG
quote:
quote:

That's actually not currently true according to the Titliest website. Something else that ought to be taken into account is that different generations of each ball have had slightly different characteristics.
Titleist agrees that the 2015 ProV1x has more greenside spin than ProV1:

http://www.titleist.com/golf-ball-fitting/

There are several TrackMan head-to-head tests that support this as well.

The difference is a few hundred RPM...but ProV1x has more greenside spin.

Also, prior generations of ProV1x spun more around the green as well:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/hot-list/2010-06/hotlist2010_golfballs_spinchart
AgPrognosticator
AG
Interesting -- the bar graph I was reading showed the prov1 with the highest rpm. I will try to link it later today.
Aggie369
AG
I talked to my buddy who plays on some smaller tours and he said that most guys on tour actually play all the older prov1s and prov1xs....the 2013 x and like the 2009-2010 prov1

Newer isn't always better I guess
AgPrognosticator
AG
Interesting. It would must be nice to have a swing that is consistent enough to have that fine of a taste.
Texas Ag 15
AG
Does anyone actually use lost golf balls for the balls they normally play with? If so are they pretty close to brand new?
ORAggieFan
I've used them for Pro V1s in the past. They were pretty good. Usually looked like a ball would after one hole but with various sharpie markings or logos.
bagger05
AG
quote:
Does anyone actually use lost golf balls for the balls they normally play with? If so are they pretty close to brand new?

If you stick with current model year then the quality is top notch. If you were to look for a ball that hasn't been made in a couple years they will sell some marked as AAAAA that are not that great.
Texas Ag 15
AG
So if you were to get the 2014 version of the Pro V1x with the highest quality would it be like new?
jj9000
AG
Texas Ag 15
AG
Pm sent
bagger05
AG
quote:
So if you were to get the 2014 version of the Pro V1x with the highest quality would it be like new?

Pretty much. Probably has a mark or logo on it but you won't see any scuffs or cuts.
AgPrognosticator
AG
Texas Ag, their slogan is actually spot on. Something like "every ball is used after one swing". I would bet that their AAAAA balls have been hit no more than 3-5 times Max before being lost. Even if I'm playing with a brand new sleeve of prov's I will continue to use a "new ball" with pretty significant cuts that probably put it in the AAA range or worse.

One full swing gap wedge will pretty much put a prov1 in the AAA category.
Teslag
AG
Glad I stumbled upon this thread. Dad told me he wanted to try some new golf balls so I ordered him a variety (6 dozen) from lost golf balls for $108. Much better than the 2-3 dozen I can get for that price retail. Thanks!
STL_aTm
AG
I've been using MG gloves for about the past year and like the product. I ordered 2 more this morning and decided to pull the trigger on some golf balls. I have a 3 game weekend coming up and am hoping theyre here in time. After reading through this thread it seemed a few people had bought some and never reported back... any updates on the MG golf balls? or any insight from people that have used them?
bagger05
AG
Interested to know this as well... I was actually thinking about this thread the other day.
jackie childs
quote:
I've been using MG gloves for about the past year and like the product. I ordered 2 more this morning and decided to pull the trigger on some golf balls. I have a 3 game weekend coming up and am hoping theyre here in time. After reading through this thread it seemed a few people had bought some and never reported back... any updates on the MG golf balls? or any insight from people that have used them?
I ordered a dozen last fall and gave six of them to a buddy to try. I'm not a good enough golfer to make a detailed comparison. I thought the Chrome+ was a bit longer, but other than that, I thought it was great.

My buddy is a pretty good golfer though and he was playing two balls that day, the MG and a ProV1. He said that he personally still preferred the "feel" of the ProV, but that the MG was otherwise very similar in performance.

For the price, I'd say it's definitely worth trying them out.

jon gruden is intelligent
I'm a fan of top flite gamers. They really are a bargain for what you get.
agsalaska
AG
The prior generation Taylor Made Tour Preferred balls are going on sale right now. They are on Ebay for $29 shipped. I haven't hit them as I have been back on the ProV1x bandwaggon, but I may buy a dozen just to check them out.
raidernarizona
quote:
My opinion was always that if u don't shoot in the 70s consistently then ur swing and ball contact aren't consistent enough to really make a consistent noticeable difference in which ball u play. I try to stay away from cheap golf balls and I only play what I find.

I was coming on here to ask this very question. Is this the general consensus? Can a high 80's, low 90's shooter benefit from playing the same ball every round?
jj9000
AG
quote:
quote:
Can a high 80's, low 90's shooter benefit from playing the same ball every round?

Yes, absolutely.

If for nothing else, you may see better results on the putting green as a result of consistent ball compression (the ball compression number).

For example, a ProV1x will come off the putter face very differently than a Callaway SuperSoft or a Wilson Duo. Two opposite ends of the ball compression spectrum. Alternating holes with a ProV1x and a Wilson Duo might have your speed all over the place.
agsalaska
AG
That is exactly what I was going to say. The biggest difference will be on the greens. You may not be consistent enough with your irons and woods to gain much advantage by playing the same ball. But around the greens the spin at impact with you chipping wedge and the bounce off of your putter face will be different depending on the ball.

On a side note, I would generally avoid the cheapest of the cheap golf balls. They are for beginners and are essentially range balls.
Squatch
AG
I've been wanting to try the MG for a while. just ordered 2 dozen.
bagger05
AG
Please report back with the results.
1208HawkTree
AG
quote:
I got the glove, and while it feels great, the velcro wasn't the greatest and only lasted a handful of rounds before it wore off.

...from a company called Master Grip.
AV8ORAG84
AG
If you are playing for $$ , pro v1/pro v1 x. Otherwise who cares......

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.