Golf Ball dilemma

13,662 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AV8ORAG84
tamu2009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sure we've hashed this out before but it being a new year with new golf balls on the market I thought I might bring it back up.

I've been playing the Bridgestone e5 for at least the last year and have been pretty happy with them, however I ran out of them yesterday and had a lone ProV in the bag. I noticed that I seem to hit it further than than the e5 and I've always been a fan of the ProVs feel around the green but I hate their price tag. So that got me thinking if I was actualy playing the right ball.

I don't know my stats, but im sure I'm right around the 95-100 driver speed and my miss is usually a fade/slice. I hit the ball high already, and I'm wondering if the e5 is promoting too high a ball flight and possibly costing me some distance (the website says its deisgned to help get a higher flight).

I'm open to any suggestions, but not too keen on forking over the money to play the ProVs, so I'm looking for suggestions in 30ish a dozen range like the e5s. Anyone got any thoughts?
ORAggieFan
You could try the e6 for more distance and straightness.

I switched from the e6 to Callaway Super Soft. $20/dozen and love the feel. Have thought about trying the new Chrome Soft though just to see what it's like...but about double the price.
bagger05
AG
Lots of the premium balls are good. If you look for a premium ball from any of the major manufacturers (Callaway, Bridgestone, Srixon) that's one generation old, they can usually be had for around that price range if you're willing to check the internet and sometimes you can get lucky at Dick's, Sports Authority, etc.

Another option is lostgolfballs.com. I've been pretty happy with them in the past getting the AAAA or AAAAA quality. Just stick to current generation or one generation old. If you're looking for something that hasn't been manufactured in a few years you can find them listed as one of the higher qualities on the site, but it seems that their grading gets a little more lenient. If you stick to new stuff the quality has been really good.
LeFraud
Srixon z stars, they'll periodically go on sale for $25/$30
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
Srixon Z Star XV for $29
tamu2009
AG
I played the Srixons before I switched to the e5s and when I got my new g25 irons, they just chewed the cover off of them and wouldn't last more than 2 or 3 solid iron strikes with them. So I think the zstars are out for me although I did like them.
LeFraud
Interesting, I've never had that issue...well only if I hit trees and/or cart paths of course.

Maybe the club isn't/wasn't hitting square on the ball?
tamu2009
AG
That might be it, but I felt like I was making solid consistent contact and wasn't noticing any strange flight patterns that would make me think they weren't square contact.

Was thinking about trying the NXT Tours or maybe just breaking down and getting the 50 pack of ProVs from lost golf balls.
boy09
AG
quote:
Another option is lostgolfballs.com. I've been pretty happy with them in the past getting the AAAA or AAAAA quality. Just stick to current generation or one generation old.
This X 1,000,000. I just loaded up on AAAAA 2014 ProV1x's. Most of them you can't tell they're not brand new, the others look like they've been played one, maybe two holes. $25/doz. for AAAAA quality. Even cheaper for the AAAA which are still usually in pretty good shape.
klockness
AG
I second the Nxt Tour as a great alternative to the ProV. I've found overruns/x-outs for about $1 a piece at Golfsmith but they are normally about $30/dozen.

I found a TM Project (a) once and really like it. I might try some next time I need golf balls but I kind of stocked up on the nxt over runs.
JYDog90
AG
quote:

I found a TM Project (a) once and really like it. I might try some next time I need golf balls but I kind of stocked up on the nxt over runs.

I clicked on this thread to ask about the Project (a) ball. Anybody got any more info on it? What ball would you compare it to? An NXT?
hot dog
AG
klockness
AG
I have very limited experience obviously. The project a had a softer feel than the nxt. I think the TM has a lower compression which many companies are doing. The ball compresses on longer clubs like the driver and spins less but spins more with shorter clubs and slower swing speeds. I didn't compare them side by side but want to. I'd say they are both targeted at mid to low handicap players with the nxt being for the SLIGHTLY more advanced.
Aggie369
AG
My opinion was always that if u don't shoot in the 70s consistently then ur swing and ball contact aren't consistent enough to really make a consistent noticeable difference in which ball u play. I try to stay away from cheap golf balls and I only play what I find. I'm a 5 handicap
nickel
Ball fitting. Costs 25 bucks. Real data answers questions and/or confirms doubts.
Macarthur
Thanks for the tip on lostgolfballs.com

Great site.
bmcghee03
AG
If you love playing Pro V1's but hate the price tag, do yourself a favor and follow this link. Buy them and don't look back. I've blacked out the logo's before and my buddies don't know the difference...

http://www.mggolf.com/balls.asp?ru=1#C4

Also, their Cabretta Leather gloves are great. Buy one get one free at $13 for a tour quality glove.
bagger05
AG
Thanks for the tip.

Here's a WRX thread with plenty of reviews. Everyone seems to speak very highly of them.

xaggie95
AG
My only word of advice is to stick with a particular ball if you can. Just like clubs, you don't switch them every round, try to keep things consistent.
JarAG2007
AG
I have used taylormade (a) and I really like them. It is hard to find good used quality balls for them until recently since they are a newer ball. During the time of them being priced so high I started using Callaway Hex Chrome and Black series.

The Callaway Chrome and Tour (a) are very much alike in my opinion. To me the taylormade case doesn't get scuffed as easily but spin and distance are very close. I am going to use up the last of the rockbottomgolf ammo box I have of callaways and then probably go back to the tour (a).
ORAggieFan
Amazon has the Callaway Super Soft white for $17/dozen. What an insane price for a really good ball. I want to try the new Chrome Soft, but at twice the price not going to now. Just ordered a few dozen and free Prime shipping.
Born N Bred Ag
AG
Ive played a few rounds with the Super Soft and here are my thoughts. If you're a mid handicapper looking for a ball that will be long and have some bite then this is the ball for you, however, if you want a ball that will really bite around the greens then I would go with a higher quality ball. Im currently playing last years Z Stars and have been pretty happy with them. You can get them on amazon for about $24 a dozen.
stick93
AG
A buddy stopped by lostgolfballs today. He picked up a dozen of the best project (a)'s for $11. He said they had plenty. That is a good ball for the price.
agsalaska
AG
quote:
I second the Nxt Tour as a great alternative to the ProV. I've found overruns/x-outs for about $1 a piece at Golfsmith but they are normally about $30/dozen.

Just for fun, the NEXT is not an alternative to the ProV. They are in two completely different classes. the Srixon Zstar would be an alternative to the ProV.
boy09
AG
quote:
Amazon has the Callaway Super Soft white for $17/dozen. What an insane price for a really good ball. I want to try the new Chrome Soft, but at twice the price not going to now. Just ordered a few dozen and free Prime shipping.
I bought some Super Softs a while back when I was in a pinch. The only place to buy golf balls within a 25 mile radius of here is Walmart, and Walmart's options are pretty slim. I was pleasantly surprised, especially for something <$20/doz.
bagger05
AG
Was at Dick's last night and did some shopping.

Bounced a few different models on a wedge and hit a few putts. Really, really love the feel of the Callaway Supersoft.
klockness
AG
quote:
quote:

Just for fun, the NEXT is not an alternative to the ProV. They are in two completely different classes. the Srixon Zstar would be an alternative to the ProV.
The OP is looking for $30 a dozen golf balls that have comparable performance to the ProV1. I think it's obvious the NXT isn't the same class otherwise Titleist wouldn't sell both. I think they line up fairly well for the $10+ price difference. Here's a test GolfWRX did a while back to show how the two match up:

http://www.golfwrx.com/206527/review-nxt-tour-and-nxt-tour-s-golf-balls/

I didn't know you could buy Zstars for $30 but generally they are $45. Just for comparison there is a similar review on the Zstars. It will depend on your swing and game to decide which is best for you.

http://www.golfwrx.com/238731/review-srixon-z-star-and-z-star-xv-golf-balls/

After reading this post I might have to try some of the MG Tour C4 instead of the Project a. I'll see where my game is at next time I need to buy golf balls.
LeFraud
quote:
If you love playing Pro V1's but hate the price tag, do yourself a favor and follow this link. Buy them and don't look back. I've blacked out the logo's before and my buddies don't know the difference...

http://www.mggolf.com/balls.asp?ru=1#C4

Also, their Cabretta Leather gloves are great. Buy one get one free at $13 for a tour quality glove.

I got the glove, and while it feels great, the velcro wasn't the greatest and only lasted a handful of rounds before it wore off.
LeFraud
Dp
ORAggieFan
I've had two gloves from them and they've been great. No velcro issues at all.
tamu2009
AG
I broke down and ordered 2 gloves and a dozen balls from MG. Going to see what they are all about.

I played a few holes yesterday in Dallas after the rain in the morning so the greens were quite soft. I could leave a crater of a ball mark but couldn't get an e5 to stop within 10 feet of it. And while I guess that's ok from a consistency stand point (if I know it's always going to release 10 feet on full 9iron) I don't feel like I'm getting the most from my ball. Do I want it to sping back 10-15 feet? No, I'm not that golfer that judges the quality of the shot based on the coolness of spinning it back, but I would like to be able stop it realativly quickly and consistently. I would expect to spin a few of them back in the soft conditions I was playing in yesterday.

I might buy a dozen NXTs and see if I can find some cheap Zstars and maybe switch back to those if they are more durable than the last ones I played.
khaos288
AG
ProV1x represent
AustinCountyAg
Whatevers on sale at Walmart represent!
Quinn
AG
I had been eye'ing the Super Softs and will give them a go based on this thread.
The D
AG
you can buy 50 proVs at lostgolfballs for $100. Thats what I do. And thats their good quality ones.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.