Scramble tournament - Long Drive ?

7,716 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by proudaggie02
the dude10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I played in a scramble yesterday morning. It was a small local fundraiser tournament with about 50 players. On our team we are all 9-10 handicappers and we won the thing with -13. Also two -12's were turned in. There was most likely not much cheating involved here but this seems to be the exception.
dbtexasag05
I can vouch for proud.

I hit the ball a long way...he out drives me by a consistent 20-30 yards. He also hits it straight.

And if you assume he can't hit a wedge you are going to be wrong there as well.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
The cheating is past cheating it's so blatant it's freaking just comical. Has a team turn in a 48... 48! Not sure where to even start.
was it a string scramble? I've seen teams post 18 hole scores in the 20's because they bought enough string to cover every green and then some (that practice was later banned in the tournament for that reason)
Thisguy1
Did you play for A&M? Because 370-380 and straight is well above average.

Edit: By the way, I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just saying you hit the ball extremely well, according to another poster you have a good short game, and have an Ag tag.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Did you play for A&M? Because 370-380 and straight is well above average.

Edit: By the way, I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just saying you hit the ball extremely well, according to another poster you have a good short game, and have an Ag tag.
he competed in long drive for a while, not sure if he actually played for A&M though.
dbtexasag05
Proud is the golf version of Bill Brasky
Westicles
AG
The difference between the Legend of Bill Brasky and proudaggie is that proudaggie is sure not to miss an opportunity to let everyone know of his abilities on any thread possible.
dbtexasag05
Do you know proudaggie personally?
Chipotlemonger
AG
48? That's ridiculous. I don't get people.
aggiedent
AG
A few years back I played in the Klein Oak Strutter's scramble (no string, you could buy 5 mulligans) on a very wet Gleannloch Farm's course with fairly high wind.

49 won it.

Even John Montag, the director of golf, who announced the winners, was shaking his head at the score.

Isn't it weird accepting your trophy when EVERYONE knows you cheated???
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
The difference between the Legend of Bill Brasky and proudaggie is that proudaggie is sure not to miss an opportunity to let everyone know of his abilities on any thread possible.

I knew your handle sounded familiar:

http://texags.com/forums/38/topics/1359713/3#discussion

I thought poorly of you after the way you handled yourself on that thread. Bad bull to accuse Aggies of cheating & then act like you did when presented with justification.

I'm the type that would call out a cheater if I had reasonable suspicion... and by that, I mean that I'd at least try to check their GHIN numbers first & see if they had a stacked team.

dbtexasag05
DannyDuberstein
AG
That is quite a callback. Now this is going someplace.
antman8504
AG
Get your popcorn out folks! Or actually get your measuring tape out, this thread is about to get lively.
proudaggie02
AG
^
I was a bit long-winded, but the internet was a little more "serious bidness" to me back then. I'm on the other side of 30 now & being surrounded by 3 women (my wife & 2 little ladies) has softened me.

I posted that link as an interesting footnote on scrambles and the issue of cheating (whether actual or accusations), as it tied in well to this thread. I've got nothing against Westicles, but I was pretty damn mad when that went down. A cheater is one of the worst things a man can be called in my opinion... honesty, justice, and fairness are a big deal to me. But we're both Aggies & I wish him well. I'll defer to the people that know me on here to weigh in on my integrity.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Popcorn!
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
I'm fairly long off the tee; longer than anyone I play with, anyway. I've been in two, legitimate, Aggie tournaments. Won long drive in both. I've played in several other tournaments and never been within 50 yards of the long drive.

And, yes, there are always a pretty shocking number of scores in the 40s.
hot dog
AG
That was a fun thread to read. Kept me entertained during class
Westicles
AG
That was 6 years ago and I really don't feel like reading that thread again, but if memory serves you guys were 9 or 10 under through 9 or 10 holes before they called the tournament, right? Also if memory serves, it was easily around mid-40 degrees and raining it's ass off. As in: the-course-shouldn't-even-be-open type weather. I remember rotating gloves, trying to keep towels dry and still a guy from our team losing grip of a club because it was so wet and his hands being so cold.

I have no doubt 4 guys with a 5 or better handicap on a scramble team could be -9 through 9 and get to -18 (or better) through 18. I just still find it hard to believe in that weather but kuddos for playing great in those conditions. With all that said, I shouldn't have called you out like that... so on behalf of my formerly 25 year old and eager to pick an internet fight self, I apologize.

Now that that is all behind us after 6 years, we can all go back to enjoying the following bits of dialog from you:
A) How good you are at golf
B) How much you still get to play golf, even with having kids now.
C) How much better Denver is than anywhere in Texas.
dbtexasag05
Westicles....

You almost were a nice guy...then you showed your true colors. Don't be an *******.
DannyDuberstein
LeFraud
Why do you care so much about what another poster (a stranger no less) posts on this forum?

I'd love to play with proudaggie02, and watch him bomb drives over me, all while listening to him talk about his daughters, in Denver no less.
aggiedent
AG
Three things I'm sure about:

1. I still like Westicles
2. A lot of people cheat in scrambles.
3. A lot of people like to brag on internet forums.
jonj101
A side note from the drama - proud do you have any swing vids on youtube or any other place?

Not doubting, just would like to see your swing.
tamu2009
AG
I love that people think that no one can hit it further than the tour players on average. They are out there trying to make a living by keeping it in the fairway and not hitting it as far as possible. They also have more restrictions on shaft length than the long drive guys I think. I'm sure proud can correct me if I'm wrong.
Aggie1391
quote:
A side note from the drama - proud do you have any swing vids on youtube or any other place?

+1 on a video.

I've only played with someone who carries it 300+ once or twice, but it was awesome to watch. I got caught up in watching their drives rather than focusing on my game.
proudaggie02
AG
quote:

Nope. And if I did, I'd hate to see the comments on the golf board. Haha.

My swing is homemade/no lessons... baseball player swing. If you want to see a tour-like swing, ask dbtexasaggie to post a video. He has an amazing swing.

Maybe db and I will take swing vids the next time we play.
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
I love that people think that no one can hit it further than the tour players on average. They are out there trying to make a living by keeping it in the fairway and not hitting it as far as possible. They also have more restrictions on shaft length than the long drive guys I think. I'm sure proud can correct me if I'm wrong.
Good point. There's different ways to get it done in LD, but I'd say the average LD'er was 6'2"+, 230, and strong as hell.... one guy was massive (Believe his name is Mike Dobbyns, like 6"7", 280, and not much body fat). There's a reason why they hit the ball so far compared to tour players. Occasionally, there will be a smaller guy who does well based on amazing speed, mechanics, and launch numbers.

Unless something has changed in the 5 years I've been out of long drive, they are subject to USGA guidelines. If I remember correctly, I played a 46.5" or 46.75" for the most part in LD competitions.
proudaggie02
AG
Thanks LeFraud. The Colorado craft beer is always flowing too.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.