So my employer is going to have me fitted and purchase new clubs....

3,648 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by mt3950
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have any opinions on brands and stuff....I know there's tons of opinions and all the major manufactureres make good clubs. Just would like to have some idea when I walk in of a couple directions.
hoya-ag
AG
Where are you located? I have heard rave reviews about coolclubs.com. They will fit you and suggest which clubs you should get given your swing and measurements.
AgDotCom
My opinions:

- All manufacturers are excellent when it comes to their top of the line gear. Their lower tier / beginner or over the top super game improvement stuff may be a different story. I usually prefer Mizuno irons because I think they may be a *tad* better in fit and finish due to being a more tightly held company, but the difference is basically nil....all are very good.

- Select the clubs that look best to you at address, instill the most confidence, and promote the best takeaway and the chain of events that follow. Doesn't matter if it's a blade, player cavity, game improvement club or 300cc / 460cc driver. Once you narrow it down to those that fit your eye the best, it may be a good idea to choose the most forgiving of the bunch.

- I don't have as much experience with fitting as some others hear do. Listen to them, they seem to give great advice.

All the above are just my opinions, of course.
dcrewint
Your boss looking for any new employees?
Macarthur
quote:
Where are you located? I have heard rave reviews about coolclubs.com. They will fit you and suggest which clubs you should get given your swing and measurements.

San Antonio. Since my boss is footing the bill, I'll go get fitted where he says...
Macarthur
quote:
My opinions:

- All manufacturers are excellent when it comes to their top of the line gear. Their lower tier / beginner or over the top super game improvement stuff may be a different story. I usually prefer Mizuno irons because I think they may be a *tad* better in fit and finish due to being a more tightly held company, but the difference is basically nil....all are very good.

- Select the clubs that look best to you at address, instill the most confidence, and promote the best takeaway and the chain of events that follow. Doesn't matter if it's a blade, player cavity, game improvement club or 300cc / 460cc driver. Once you narrow it down to those that fit your eye the best, it may be a good idea to choose the most forgiving of the bunch.

- I don't have as much experience with fitting as some others hear do. Listen to them, they seem to give great advice.

All the above are just my opinions, of course.

That's a good point about address.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
quote:

San Antonio. Since my boss is footing the bill, I'll go get fitted where he says...
I'm in San Antonio. Where do you work and do you have any openings?
Boo Weekley
Mizunos

Switching from bulky game improvement irons to muscleback (Mp-59's and now MP-64's) actually IMPROVED my game.
bagger05
AG
What is the backstory on this?
Born N Bred Ag
AG
Curious about this as well cause im thinking about getting some new irons for graduation. Never been fitted before and i've been playing standard Ping G5's for the last 5 years. I'm 6ft 4 and I know I need longer then standard clubs. Does getting actually fitted mess with your game for a while? Im worried the longer clubs might make it more difficult at first
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Anyone have any opinions on brands and stuff....I know there's tons of opinions and all the major manufactureres make good clubs. Just would like to have some idea when I walk in of a couple directions.

Can I work there?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I'm in San Antonio and will supply my own clubs.
DadAG10
quote:
I'm 6ft 4 and I know I need longer then standard clubs. Does getting actually fitted mess with your game for a while? Im worried the longer clubs might make it more difficult at first
6'4" as well. Played 15 years with clubs 1.5 inches too short.

Got fitted, able to have a more natural upright position rather than squatting down. Less lower back pain and lower scores after a short adjustment period.

I would recommend getting fitted. The upfront cost and adjustment period won't even be remembered 5-10 years from now.
LeFraud
Being tall doesnt automatically mean you need longer clubs.
Chipotlemonger
AG
This. I got gorilla arms, so I use regular length clubs.

If next time I get fitted to longer clubs, so be it.
Aggie369
AG
In my opinion, the only way to purchase clubs is going through the fitting process at a "true fitting" place like CoolClubs. My first experience in this process was in Scottsdale at a place called HOTSTIX. Hotstix was owned by Mark Tims who created this place. Mark finally sold Hotstix and had a 5 year non-compete clause and after the 5 years....Mark opened Coolclubs. The fitting process at Coolclubs is actually conducted by people who have years of experience in the industry either playing golf on different tours or months of training with the fitting equipment and process. The entire process is conducted on Trakman. There is no guessing. Trakman records about 12-14 different analysis points on your swing and provides the fitter feedback on the club head and shaft the best fitted for your swing. Obviously the better and more reproducible your swing the more they can help you. As you know there are hundreds of shafts and through the computer software they are best able to narrow your selection. The first part of this is completed inside and once the shaft and head selection has been narrowed, then you head to the range and you can see the shape of the shot....all while still being recorded by Trakman. Coolclubs does not have a dog in the fight. They sell all clubs and their only goal is to match the club head and shaft to your particular swing to maximize your potential. Coolclubs fits drivers, irons, wedges and putters. Don't forget the putter. Why anyone would purchase "off the shelf" clubs is foreign to me.....Go to COOLCLUBS and get fit on Trakman.

jmh3209
AG
Sounds like my type of employer...Enjoy!
Mr.Bond
AG
Titleist AP2s and don't ever look back
ORAggieFan
That's the route I'm going next set, completely custom built. One of best fitters in country is near me. They spend a ton of time measuring everything and building the club to your exact swing. Can't wait.
DadAG10
quote:

Exactly, which is why I recommended him getting fitted.

ORAggieFan
If you want to know more than you ever thought possible about club fittings:

http://www.golfwrx.com/255475/what-constitutes-a-truly-professional-club-fitting-analysis/

http://www.golfwrx.com/261555/part-2-what-constitutes-a-truly-professional-club-fitting-analysis/
Macarthur
Thanks for all the feedback.

And, no, we're not hiring!
bagger05
AG
Macarthur did you ever explain why your boss is buying you clubs?
Whoop04
Have you played much golf before? Getting fitted before any kind of lessons can be a waste of money. In short, get a couple lessons first.
AgDotCom
quote:
Have you played much golf before? Getting fitted before any kind of lessons can be a waste of money. In short, get a couple lessons first.
I tend to agree.

How do you fit a pronounced over the top move, for example? How does that swing look on an impact board?

I would think fitting length would be a static measurement and independent of a bad swing or good swing, though. And an important one.
Whoop04
If a person has too much or too little hip or knee bend, will that not throw off the shaft length measurements?
Macarthur
quote:
Macarthur did you ever explain why your boss is buying you clubs

It's a bonus of sorts.
Macarthur
quote:
Yes, I've been playing for 20+ years.
1208HawkTree
AG
quote:
quote:

+1

I'm 6'4" and my clubs are standard length and 1* flat.
Whoop04
Do you have a handicap? If not, what would you expect your score to be on a course of average difficulty?
That's going to determine what people are going to recommend for clubs. An idea of how far you hit your driver and 7i are helpful as well.
Nom de Plume
AG
quote:

Holy hunchback!

Or monkey arms.
Trick
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1

Same height and standard as well.
Macarthur
Did fitting today. Got the Calloway xr irons. Ping g30 woods.
mt3950
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.