got my tee time confirmation for The Old Course

7,864 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Old School Brother
oldflyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
A golf buddy and I played in Scotland last May. Instead of going to one of the hotels, we rented a short-term flat that was only a couple of blocks from the Old Course. We stayed the whole time in St. Andrews and drove anywhere we needed to go. Since I lived in Edinburgh for six years, having a little local knowledge helped.

We played:
1. Carnoustie
2. The Castle Course, St Andrews
3. The Old Course, St. Andrews
4. Bruntsfield, Edinburgh
5. Gleneagles Kings Course
6. Turnberry
7. The New Course, St. Andrews
8. Muirfield
9. Kingsbarns

Total cost for the trip was about $4,800 all inclusive....again, helps to have local knowledge. I rented a mid-sized station wagon to haul the golf clubs and luggage. Someone at the Hertz counter remembered me from three years ago (rented a car from them for six years!) and upgraded us to a Volvo XC.

Jack and Sheena do a good job with bar food at the Dunvegan. If you want something a little more upscale, try Little Italy on Logie Lane. You'll have to book that one ahead of time.

As for haggis, I like the stuff. My golf buddy tried it and didn't care for it. He is a gastroenterologist and telling him that its cooked in a sheep's stomach kind a prejudiced him a little.
Hit most of the same courses you did when I went in 2012. Kingsbarns might have been my overall favorite. I was sick as a dog that morning for an 8 am tee time because we stayed up all night at a bar in Edinburgh watching the final round of the US Open at Olympia Club. Good times......
I think KB is the best golf course of the bunch. Carnoustie is a tough booger. I can't imagine playing it with the rough up.
Old School Brother
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Still disappointed that I didn't get to play KB while I was there. I was only there for two days on a side trip from a group vacation and made sure that I played the Old Course. I was going to play KB the next day and the starter from the Old Course told me that he would plan not to play golf the next day because it was going to be raining buckets. I know you have to be prepared to play in the rain in Scotland, but he told me that it was going to be absolutely miserable and he wouldn't waste his money....and he was right. I spent the next day in the Dunvegan talking to an old, crusty caddy and the cute bartender.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.