Most famous person you have played with?

6,531 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Jeff Schmahl
Bitter Old Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rich Beam. That dude was a trip.
TresPuertas
AG
When I was in high school I got to play a couple of times with Lee Roy Jordan (Cowboys Ring of Honor), and he was a great guy. It always amazed me that pure athletes are good at everything. This guy was an amazing hitter.

Another story that I tell every once in awhile.

I lived around the corner from our home course and when I was in high school I'd sneak out after school in the early evening and try to get as many holes in before the sun set. One day I jumped out on the course and a guy asked if he could join me and I said yes and he hopped in the cart with me (I was annoyed because I like playing alone so I could work on my game). Anyway, he was an older gentleman and introduced himself as Carroll. I thought nothing of it and we started the round.

Throughout the round we talked casually and I realized that this guy may have been one of the nicest guys I've ever met. He asked me what I drove and I told him that I had an older Jeep Wrangler that I loved. He asked if I liked cars and said he had a nice car collection, and at that moment it clicked who I was playing with.

After the round he told me that if I ever wanted to come see his private car collection he had a hanger and to just give him a call and he'd come out and meet me and give me a personal tour.

A couple of days later I took him up on his offer and got a private tour of Carroll Shelby's personal collection. I can't tell you how insanely awesome this was. I tried convincing him to let me drive one, but I couldn't get him to budge.

I continued to see him at the course and we remained friends until I left for college. Its always awesome when you meet someone who is able to stay humble while given every excuse to not be.
SLF11
AG
That is pretty dang awesome Tres! Where did you grow up?
Chipotlemonger
AG
That is an awesome story.
TresPuertas
AG
McKinney. Graduated in 99
aggiebrother33
Played against Hunter in HS, that was not fair BTW... other than that some other not so house hold PGA tour guys and some mini-tour ones. One was Mike Standly who won in New Orleans and played in the Masters.

Being in the golf business I met a bunch but never really played with any big named guys. KK, Summy and Black Death would come out while at UH...
aggiebrother33
quote:
Rich Beam. That dude was a trip.

Funny story from my buddy who caddied for him in AZ... long story short there was a bet after a few hours of drinking post-round and a golf bag was set on fire at 1am on the driving range...but at 7 am when the range open the evidence had been re-sodded.
07fta07
AG
Bobby Gates
nickel
Greatest long snapper in A&M history, Kyle Lednicky. Lock thread.
jja79
AG
Dat Nguyen @ Traditions 5/4/2012.
malenurse
AG
quote:
I'm thinking he meant the OTHER Frank Beard.

For the record, I was talking about Frank Beard, the drummer for ZZ Top. He plays at Pecan Grove almost every day that he is in town. Lots of sex, drugs and rock and roll stories.
Cen-Tex
AG
Coach Emory Bellard....the ultimate gentleman. Played a round w/him a couple of years before he passed away. An awesome individual.
LeFraud
quote:
Greatest long snapper in A&M history, Chance Pearce. Lock thread.

FIFY. Actually worked with his dad at a golf course.
jonj101
quote:
Played against Hunter in HS, that was not fair BTW... other than that some other not so house hold PGA tour guys and some mini-tour ones. One was Mike Standly who won in New Orleans and played in the Masters.

Being in the golf business I met a bunch but never really played with any big named guys. KK, Summy and Black Death would come out while at UH...

Pardon my ignorance, but I have no idea who those last three are.
bagger05
AG
Not sure if serious, but I'll answer anyway.

KK = Kliff Kingsbury
Summy = Kevin Sumlin
Black Death = Larry Jackson
Chipotlemonger
aggiebrother33
quote:
Not sure if serious, but I'll answer anyway.

KK = Kliff Kingsbury
Summy = Kevin Sumlin
Black Death = Larry Jackson
This. We had a member that is one of the largest alumni donors to UH and would bring out coaches and admins fairly regularly.
VirginiaAg
AG
Ok, my chance to brag some. I have been very fortunate to get invited to some Pro-Ams and have gotten to play with several big name players. For a few years, I got to play in the Shark Shootout (Norman's tournament in Florida. They have a 2 day Pro-Am where you play with a different pro each day.

Year 1 I got David Toms and Mark O'Meara, Year 2 I got Jeff Sluman and Matt Kuchar, Year 3 I got Paul Azinger and Nick Faldo and Year 4 I got John Daly and Fred Couples. All were great guys (except for Daly) and really show you how much better they actually are than an average 8 Handicapper like me.

To top it off, I got paired with Phil two years ago at The Memorial (Nicklaus's tourney). He was an amazing guy -- totally engaged, wanted to talk and a blast to play with.

Again, I may be the luckiest Aggie out there to get to play with all these great golfers.
proudaggie02
AG
^
That's awesome. Will you elaborate on Daly?
VirginiaAg
AG
Played with Daly in about 2005 when he was in full blown demise on the tour. You could tell he didn't care much about playing good golf, just capitalizing on endorsements and "deals" he had going. Could crush the ball and had fantastic soft hands, but just didn't care. He wasn't drinking on the course but put away a six pack of Diet Cokes in the round.

Was driving and staying in his motor home despite that fact the tourney was at the Ritz Carlton in Naples -- he just parked in the parking lot and slept out there. Unlike every other pro, he had virtually no interaction with his amateur partners.

Played with Couples the next day, and it was an unbelievable experience. He was a great guy, a swing like butter and had a crowd of women from 18 to 80 following him every step. He signed pin flags, golf balls, and some stuff I asked to sign for a charity auction. To top it all off, about a week later I got a handwritten note from him in the mail telling me how much enjoyed playing with me. Don't know if he wrote it himself or not, I was still impressed. I framed it and have it next to my picture with him. Class act.
bagger05
AG
I met John Daly in 1995 in Memphis, Tennessee. I walkin' down the street minding my own business, just walking on. Feelin' good. I walk around the corner, a man walk up, hit me in my chest, right. I fall on the ground, right. And I look up and it's John Daly. I said 'Mr. Daly?' and he said 'Ooops, I thought you were some body else.'
Bitter Old Man
AG
^
You ain't never met no John Daly.....
Codeno
AG
I've played with Gary Blair a few times now. Even won some money off of him! He's super competitive and a pretty good player after he shakes the rust off from not playing during basketball season.
OlsenBum

Maybe not the most famous but certainly my favorite - Bubba Bean. A great guy who oozes class and great character.
OlsenBum
Also Rayfield Wright. A great guy too
CTR14
My dad played with Jim McMahon. Said it was "interesting" and the most fun round of golf he ever played. Also said he's a pretty nice guy.
clintaggie04
AG
I played 7 holes with Steve Elkington and Clay Walker at Pebble Creek. I worked there when I was in school and we were allowed to play as long as the course wasn't too busy. I played a lot growing up, my dad is a club pro, so I really took advantage of that perk at Pebble Creek. ANyway, I was playing by myself one morning and I assumed I was the only person on the course. I got to 12 tee and there was a twosome standing there. I apologized for pulling up on them. They were really cool and asked me to join them. At first I had no idea who they were. Clay Walker is tiny and Elkington is a big guy and he was playing with no shoes on. Once I realized who they were I started asking questions and learned that they are really good friends and Elkington was in town for a party at Walker's ranch. I think he said it is in Navasota. Walker was a decent player, Elkington was on fire. He shot 63 and at the time, set the course record at Pebble I think.
Jeff Schmahl
Sam Snead about 25 years ago at an exhibition in Lincoln, Nebraska. He shot 69 to beat his age and kick my butt. He was a great guy and competitive as hell. What a smooth, sweet swing...and loved watching him drain putts sidesaddle. The man could really read greens.

There were more than a thousand people watching and I was never so nervous as teeing off #1 into a tunnel of people that got narrower as it went down the fairway. My snap hook almost took a guys head off and the crowd quickly learned to be much more careful when the amateurs were hitting.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.