Roger Clemens

25,496 Views | 218 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DGrimesAg92
Clob94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DBird said:

The problem is that these sportwriters can't keep things consistent. I want to know how didn't vote for Pedro, Griffey, Randy Johson etc....

On topic, steroids and HGH were a period in baseball's history. I remember ESPN cutting out of their regular programming to watch Sosa and McGwire's at bats. MLB is no better with how they juice or de-juice, for lack of a better word, the baseballs. If you want to put an asterisk, that's fine, just don't dismiss it like it didn't happen.
This is kind of where I've landed. If all these dudes were on the sauce, hitting monster bombs and, like Bonds, crushing everything on the inner half of the plate- then you better be throwing some good stuff. If one roided guy is pummeling other roided dudes...isn't the playing field leveled?
lb3
AG
33 said:

Clob94 said:

33 said:

AggieBand2004 said:

Clemens was/is a Grade A POS, horn or not. The voters did the right thing.

I agree with you about Clemens and wish there was an integrity standard to get into (and to remain in) the HOF. OJ hacked a woman's head off and is still in the HOF.

Same goes for Bonds, Lance Armstrong, Rosie Ruiz, Pete Rose, etc. Get all of the cheaters out of our memories.

To play devils advocate-- did Clemens ever test positive for anything? Was he not tried by the Feds and found not guilty?

We live in a country where people are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. Accusations shouldn't be enough to convict someone. The #MeToo movement was wrong in many ways-- and so is this.

He did not test positive; but, there is physical confirmed evidence that he did take steroids and HGH. The gov't obtained cotton balls and syringes with steroid residue that contained Clemens' DNA.

Why can't we hold athletes to a very high standard? These athletes are idolized by many kids and adults around the world.

Sorry to be on my high horse, but I'm sick and tired of the idolization of these cheaters.
I would love to see the American League legalize performance enhancing drugs for a few seasons so people can see the difference between enhanced athletes and 'natural' players in the National League.

In 1981 Mike Schmidt was the Homerun champion with 31 and Andre Dawson was the runner up with 24. Anyone with more than 40 is either on the juice or playing with juiced balls.
jkag89
lb3 said:

33 said:

Clob94 said:

33 said:

AggieBand2004 said:

Clemens was/is a Grade A POS, horn or not. The voters did the right thing.

I agree with you about Clemens and wish there was an integrity standard to get into (and to remain in) the HOF. OJ hacked a woman's head off and is still in the HOF.

Same goes for Bonds, Lance Armstrong, Rosie Ruiz, Pete Rose, etc. Get all of the cheaters out of our memories.

To play devils advocate-- did Clemens ever test positive for anything? Was he not tried by the Feds and found not guilty?

We live in a country where people are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. Accusations shouldn't be enough to convict someone. The #MeToo movement was wrong in many ways-- and so is this.

He did not test positive; but, there is physical confirmed evidence that he did take steroids and HGH. The gov't obtained cotton balls and syringes with steroid residue that contained Clemens' DNA.

Why can't we hold athletes to a very high standard? These athletes are idolized by many kids and adults around the world.

Sorry to be on my high horse, but I'm sick and tired of the idolization of these cheaters.
I would love to see the American League legalize performance enhancing drugs for a few seasons so people can see the difference between enhanced athletes and 'natural' players in the National League.

In 1981 Mike Schmidt was the Homerun champion with 31 and Andre Dawson was the runner up with 24. Anyone with more than 40 is either on the juice or playing with juiced balls.

The '81 season was shortened by about 60 games due to a midseason strike.
ChipFTAC01
AG
lb3 said:

How can anyone expect Roger Clemens to be inducted into the Hall of Fame when he couldn't even make varsity when he attended Dulles High School.

I handnt ever heard this.
lb3
AG
It's been too long so my memory is fuzzy.

I believe it was the 77-78 school year when Dulles was still the only high school in Fort Bend ISD and was busting at the seams due to rapid suburban growth following US59 being extended into the county. Enrollment at Dulles peaked at ~4500 students prior to Willowridge opening so in Roger's defense, making a varsity squad as a sophomore newcomer was going to be difficult.

Roger moved to Spring his Junior year.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I've heard about how big Dulles was back then but couldn't even fathom where all those kids would have fit. When I started 15 years later (after Willowridge, Clements, Kemper and Elkins had all been split off) there probably weren't more than 2,500 kids there.
AG 86 BC
AG
Spring Woods, not Spring
lb3
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

I've heard about how big Dulles was back then but couldn't even fathom where all those kids would have fit. When I started 15 years later (after Willowridge, Clements, Kemper and Elkins had all been split off) there probably weren't more than 2,500 kids there.
Dulles was spread across both the current campus and what is now the middle school and I heard they had temporary buildings as far as where the elementary is. Must have been hell trying to avoid tardies.
DGrimesAg92
Cheaters getting shunned by the HOF, as it should be.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.