Please link this essay to every Big 12 fan website. How the Big 12 Died

36,810 Views | 201 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ccatag
Synopsis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
Big xii is dead men walking, but the sips and Sooners will survive and eventually thrive (hell OU is still thriving)

So enjoy it for now.

OU is not still thriving. They are having problems with their capital campaigns and they are being exposed on the field against top competition. It's a matter of evolution, and they have missed a mutation here.
You are right. It takes time; none of this stuff happens overnight, just like Texas' home football attendance, which has been declining since 2009 (someone posted that on this thread or another - very good observation). OU's dip into the Texas market for recruits is declining, and in five or ten years, that will (and has already shown) have a huge impact on their success. I'm a Sooner fan, but I see through all the BS. The Aggies outclassed everyone else in the BIG XII, ESPECIALLY OU and Texas, when your team moved to the SEC. It's paying big dividends for them now, but will pay even bigger dividends in the next several years and beyond. I see OU being impacted worse than anyone. Without those DFW recruits, they will have to look outside to the West coast and to be honest, why on earth would anyone want to move to Norman from California?
goodAg80
AG
quote:
Talked to a former UT All American (in several sports) tonight. He is famous. Very tied into the program still. He played 6 years in the NFL.

Knows Red McCombs and all the big insiders. They are going after Tom Herman. They don't really want UH in the Big Xii because it will be harder to pull him out of there if they join the same conference.

He loves Strong personally (sincere guys when lives his players) but doesn't think he is the right fit. This guy has a daughter at A&M. Likes Sumlin. Won't say his name for obvious reasons.

Anyhow...it's on...
Did he give Strong a Movado, too?
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Talked to a former UT All American (in several sports) tonight. He is famous. Very tied into the program still. He played 6 years in the NFL.

Knows Red McCombs and all the big insiders. They are going after Tom Herman. They don't really want UH in the Big Xii because it will be harder to pull him out of there if they join the same conference.

He loves Strong personally (sincere guys when lives his players) but doesn't think he is the right fit. This guy has a daughter at A&M. Likes Sumlin. Won't say his name for obvious reasons.

Anyhow...it's on...
I have heard similar things about Herman being quietly "courted" by Perrin's cronies in Houston. But they fear another "Saban-gate" where it becomes public mid-season.

This is especially true with a race-baiter as HC. Strong has played the race card before. One of the main reasons Perrin and Fenves have gone to extraordinary lengths to make a show of public support for him. Perrin's a trial attorney, remember, he's papering the file for when Strong is shown the door.
wbt5845
AG
quote:

Anyhow...it's on...
Tell Bryant Westbrook hi from me next time you see him.
The Notorious A.G.G.I.E.
AG
USC may get in on the Herman sweepstakes. The Big Lead already calling for USC to call up Herman

quote:
The first call Swann makes should be to Southern California native Tom Herman, who has taken over football in the state of Texas at the University of Houston. Herman was born in Cincinnati, but grew up in Simi Valley and went to college at Cal Lutheran. He's got a substantial contract with Houston, but if USC really wants to commit to winning, it should call up its legions of donors and have them pony up the cash to buy out Helton and his staff, and outbid anyone else for Herman. Given the slew of wealthy alumni USC has at its disposal, that kind of money could be raised in one brisk afternoon.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
USC may get in on the Herman sweepstakes. The Big Lead already calling for USC to call up Herman

quote:
The first call Swann makes should be to Southern California native Tom Herman, who has taken over football in the state of Texas at the University of Houston. Herman was born in Cincinnati, but grew up in Simi Valley and went to college at Cal Lutheran. He's got a substantial contract with Houston, but if USC really wants to commit to winning, it should call up its legions of donors and have them pony up the cash to buy out Helton and his staff, and outbid anyone else for Herman. Given the slew of wealthy alumni USC has at its disposal, that kind of money could be raised in one brisk afternoon.

Herman would wreck shop at USC. Best possible outcome if we don't get him. Don't want him anywhere near the SEC, certainly not at LSU nor Auburn. And don't want him at horn or Sooners, because of recruiting.

GO WEST, YOUNG TOM!!!
TooCold
S
Tom hates texas university. I'm surprised not more people know that. It would be a miracle if they get him.
Chips2003
AG
quote:
Tom hates texas university. I'm surprised not more people know that. It would be a miracle if they get him.

Is this a bad joke?
petey88

USC is in real trouble, they need a guy like Herman.

sips, not so much, they got who they wanted already
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Yeah, but their paychecks cleared when he coached at tu before. If he doesn't want the tu job, it would be because of the massive politics involved at that place. Too many masters.
staticdoor
AG
quote:
Based on what? He certainly loves Mack Brown
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:

quote:

Taken over football in the state of Texas??? LOLWUT?
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

Herman would wreck shop at USC. Best possible outcome if we don't get him. Don't want him anywhere near the SEC, certainly not at LSU nor Auburn. And don't want him at horn or Sooners, because of recruiting.

GO WEST, YOUNG TOM!!!
If we don't get him? You're not buying into the "hot seat" crap are you?
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Season is young. Another mid-season meltdown and I don't know what will happen. OTOH, if we do well, the NFL may come calling again for Sumlin.

Nut mainly I just want Herman out of the state of Texas and not in the SEC. He's a great recruiter and game day coach.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:
Season is young. Another mid-season meltdown and I don't know what will happen. OTOH, if we do well, the NFL may come calling again for Sumlin.

Nut mainly I just want Herman out of the state of Texas and not in the SEC. He's a great recruiter and game day coach.
Oh I agree about not wanting Herman around anyone we compete with, but not the rest.

A mid-season meltdown MIGHT actually heat the seat up (not buying that it was this year) and Sumlin's not going to the NFL no matter how badly the sips want to push that narrative.
WestAustinAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Anyhow...it's on...
Tell Bryant Westbrook hi from me next time you see him.

And...wrong. But he did admit to getting paid as a player. He is the second player I've gotten to know that admitted to getting paid.

Don't ever let sips talk about integrity in their program. It's a myth they write themselves.
Bonfire1996
AG
Why didn't the San Antonio Express News writer credit me with this trailblazing article?
Wildcat
AG
Yours was far better written. More evidence of my signature created in 2011.

|
V
Aegrescit medendo
Bonfire1996
AG
By the way, as I quote myself, I am a mother effing witch...
Quote:

It is readily apparent that the immediate future of College Football lies to the East of the Mississippi, and everyone West of it is simply producing scout team defense and offense for the true College Football Playoff contenders.

The argument in 2016 will be, "Does the B1G and SEC each deserve two spots in the CFP? Can Clemson sneak in above one of the SEC teams? Michigan and OSU will be a defacto playoff game, but is that fair if they are better than the other teams in the CFP?"
Last night as ESPN began to breakdown the legit playoff contenders, the consensus was as I posted. Alabama, Clemson, Michigan and Ohio State. That's it. All the focus is on conferences that reside East of the Mississippi.
APHIS AG
Bonfire 1996 said:

Quote:

It is readily apparent that the immediate future of College Football lies to the East of the Mississippi, and everyone West of it is simply producing scout team defense and offense for the true College Football Playoff contenders.

The argument in 2016 will be, "Does the B1G and SEC each deserve two spots in the CFP? Can Clemson sneak in above one of the SEC teams? Michigan and OSU will be a defacto playoff game, but is that fair if they are better than the other teams in the CFP?"
Last night as ESPN began to breakdown the legit playoff contenders, the consensus was as I posted. Alabama, Clemson, Michigan and Ohio State. That's it. All the focus is on conferences that reside East of the Mississippi.
Boy, if we upset Bama in two weeks, talking heads everywhere are going to explode!!
MooreTrucker
AG
APHIS AG said:

Bonfire 1996 said:

Quote:

Boy, if we upset Bama in two weeks, talking heads everywhere are going to explode!!
No kidding. It's pretty much assumed that Bama will be #1 forever and an automatic for the championship game.
Bonfire1996
AG
Final Bump as everything I wrote in the original post is true, Biff Tannen style. $40 Million distribution. Big 12 afterthought. Sooners were talked about not belonging. Big 12 dying a slow death.

aggiehawg
AG
Now, when does the coaching talent drain begin? Lincoln Riley gets hired away and Stoops retires? Gundy leaves Okie Lie? Holgy goes to the ACC? (Snyder is just going to die on the sidelines at this rate.)
Bonfire1996
AG
aggiehawg said:

Now, when does the coaching talent drain begin? Lincoln Riley gets hired away and Stoops retires? Gundy leaves Okie Lie? Holgy goes to the ACC? (Snyder is just going to die on the sidelines at this rate.)

Next offseason is when it will be very noticeable. Michigan just became the first school with 3 non-head coaches making in excess of a million per year. Let that begin to bleed through the B1G. The SEC West will have two new head coaches in 2018. Not enough wins for sumlin, freeze, Bert, and Mullen to survive.

Lincoln Riley is gonzo after 2017.
SlackerAg
AG
Conference realignment is one reason the Big 12 has fallen behind in recruiting

SWC 2.0 collapse is right on schedule...
88jrt06
AG
OP-

"And we were singing, bye, bye...."
88jrt06
AG
May God bless Chevys...
ccatag
AG
There is no Doc Brown, Marty McFly, or DeLorean w/flux capacitor that is going to go back in time and change the bdf and what has happened.

This is real, bdf'ers. This is really happening. The GOR has years more to run ... it is not over yet

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.