Clay Travis takes another massive growler on t.u.

24,158 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Notorious A.G.G.I.E.
Bottlehead90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A lot of these articles are click bait, but I get the impression that ou and tu are trying to start a bidding war. They were both told no last time by the pac12, but if the sec even looks like they are interested then the pac12 might give them a better than necessary offer.
There egos have been there biggest enemy thus far. I wonder if they will learn.

As for tu to the sec, never say never. That alone will make them want it even more.
West Point Aggie
AG
quote:
Im not so sure that aTm would for sure arrange a block of Texas into the SEC. There are still a ****load of Aggies on TexAgs that beg to play those *******s, if enough money was brokered. Never say never.
The Vagisil crew is not in charge...
MSU/SECALUM
I really wouldn't have a problem with OU but absolutely want nothing to do with Texas. If OU & Texas were added that would more than likely would push Bama & Auburn to the East which would mean that State would miss not play Bama which is 75 miles away. I know we haven't had much success against Bama but win or lose I love that game.

Playing Texas never caused fear we are 2-1 against them in the modern era 2-2 if you want to count that game back in 1910. Beating Texas was never a big deal beating Bama is a big deal and always will be for myself and many other State fans. Not playing them yearly in our division would be sad to see. We need a Perryman report on hand to present when the next additions to the conference are being evaluated to show what the loss of this game would cause.
Ag83
AG
Every article I have ever read has said our vote into the SEC was unanimous. Is there any credible story that says Vanderbilt abstained? I've never seen one.
ntxVol
quote:
I really wouldn't have a problem with OU but absolutely want nothing to do with Texas. If OU & Texas were added that would more than likely would push Bama & Auburn to the East which would mean that State would miss not play Bama which is 75 miles away. I know we haven't had much success against Bama but win or lose I love that game.

Playing Texas never caused fear we are 2-1 against them in the modern era 2-2 if you want to count that game back in 1910. Beating Texas was never a big deal beating Bama is a big deal and always will be for myself and many other State fans. Not playing them yearly in our division would be sad to see. We need a Perryman report on hand to present when the next additions to the conference are being evaluated to show what the loss of this game would cause.

This is exactly the same type of concern I have for further expansion in general. There is always a risk of losing the conference identity. I would like more time for our new additions to become better acclimated before expanding further. At least let the new wear off first. UT hasn't even had a chance to play A&M yet, the SECN hasn't hit it's stride yet, I am in no hurry for new additions to the conference at all right now.
DtAg00
AG
Arky will always be a big NO vote. They hate tu with a passion and have passed it down to the younger generation quite effectively.
AgBQ07
AG
the official announcements all say that the votes were unanimous for both A&M and Mizzou.

I was able to find some reports on Mizzou struggling to get the needed votes after A&M joined, but they were from Bleacher Report and I'm not linking that trash.

I had heard the Vandy abstention rumor before as well as Ole Miss needing to send visitors to Kyle Field to get an idea on the A&M culture fit, but I couldn't find any supporting articles, just rumors in comments.
AgDotCom
Said it several times before and got bashed for it, and I'll say it again, Texas (eventually) to the B1G. Also said that the SEC will give a cursory look to size that deal up simply on due diligence principles alone. It would be the B1G's first foray into SEC country....you don't just turn your back and fart in their direction when a material development like that is on the verge of going down in your back yard.

And for the millionth time, none of the above happens until Bristol says it can happen. Unless ESPN can leverage the LHN poison pill into a favorable bargaining position when things go to the table, they will make everyone else stand around like a hot bottle of piss until the LHN deal expires (albeit their bargaining position starts dwindling in the last 5 years or so of the deal). This is why the LHN was put on the table in the first place, if it that isn't evident now it never will be. The sips took the bait and the hook is set in their throat for now.
MSU/SECALUM
Vanderbilt has always abstained voting on athletic issues and I don't believe they had a full time AD until a few years ago. As far as Texas getting the votes for conference membership I believe that Arkansas', A&M's and Missouri's past experiences dealing with Texas will be what keeps them from getting the necessary votes needed. I'm quite sure the decision makers in the SEC will heed the advice from all three members and I believe Loftin's opinions will be weighed more heavily because he is so well respected by the conference leadership.

The best option for Texas is for the to go to the ACC with some Big 12 tagalongs. If that happens hopefully maybe some sort of deal is reached so that VT/NC State become available if not VT maybe Miami I think Florida could live with that. Texas wants the association with ND but if you know ND as well as I do they really have no desire to be associated with Texas other than a game every once in awhile as a diversion.
Tom Doniphon
While the, "it takes 3/4 vote to get in" is accurate, reality is that the SEC wants unanimous decisions. As long as A&M is adamantly opposed, those f-ckers can pound sand.

They are not getting in the SEC regardless of any fairytale bullsh-t they hope for on the internet.
PCC_80
AG
The sips are never getting into the SEC. A&M, Ark and Mizzou are Solid Hell No Votes. SC, GA, FL and K are the Voting Block Against adding another member from an already SEC Rep. State. LSU, Bama and Auburn are probable No Votes. The sips are never getting in the SEC.

OU has a slim chance at getting in the SEC IF (and only if) the SEC is able to add only one of either VA Tech or NC State and needs a second team.
marble rye
AG
quote:
I believe Loftin's opinions will be weighed more heavily because he is so well respected by the conference leadership.

Bowtie doin work.
StephenvilleAg77
Guys, conferences nowadays hold preliminary votes to see how things stand on an issue, and if it passes, they hold a final vote to make it appear votes were unanimous. Here's an example:
    The Pac10 did not have equal revenue sharing until it became the Pac12. USC and Ucla always opposed equal revenue sharing, and Washington always sided with them. So with 10 members, the other 7 couldn't get a 75% majority to pass it.
      Enter Utah & Colorado, which changed the voting math.
        Tough old Bill Moos, AD of Wazzu, didn't waste any time. Before the next major Pac12 meeting, he contacted the AD's at Utah & Colorado and got them to side with the 7 that favored equal revenue sharing.
          Then Moos called Washington and told them he had the necessary 9 votes and that UW damn sure better side with the other 3 PacNW schools this time or else be publicly branded a regional pariah. UW acquiesced.
            At the Pac12 meeting, Moos made a motion for a vote on equal revenue sharing. USC's Pat Haden exploded. The other AD's let Haden have his rant, then did a preliminary vote. 10-2.
              After another round of Haden arguing & blustering, Pat folded his tent when he saw it was useless. The final vote passed 12-0. Gives the appearance of solidarity to the public.
              longhornhere55
              quote:
              quote:
              Remember when people would look at Rice's stadium and wonder "gee why did they need such a large stadium?" You would explain that Rice used to be really good and drew huge crowds. They would look at you like you crazy.
              Their stadium looks like a real sh-thole compared to ours now.
              And once again, Texas is still the measuring stick for Aggie.
              Rocco S
              You're too stupid to understand the irony of posting that on an Aggie website
              schwack schwack
              AG
              quote:
              Texas is still the measuring stick for Aggie

CypressAg09
              AG
              I just dont understand what these sips think they would add to the table revenue wise. The SECN deal is locked in for a while, and we already get a higher rate for all in state tv sets. What do they really think they add to this equation. Its not like the SEC is hurting for marquee games.
              goodAg80
              AG
              quote:
              quote:
              quote:
              Remember when people would look at Rice's stadium and wonder "gee why did they need such a large stadium?" You would explain that Rice used to be really good and drew huge crowds. They would look at you like you crazy.
              That's like saying Haiti is a measuring stick for the U.S.
              usmcbrooks
              quote:
              quote:
              quote:

aggiehawg
              AG
              quote:
              I just dont understand what these sips think they would add to the table revenue wise. The SECN deal is locked in for a while, and we already get a higher rate for all in state tv sets. What do they really think they add to this equation. Its not like the SEC is hurting for marquee games.
              Critical thought is not exercised in Bellmont, very often.

Looking back, it is becoming obvious why Dodds had to structure the LHN the way he did. He had been cooking the books. They flat out didn't have the funds to buy out IMG. Then Dodds pissed away the money from the A&M game (another property of IMG) out of ego.
              DayAg!
              S
              I dont know why everyone keeps thinking Ou is getting in the SEC. They dont have enough Tv sets in Oklahoma to drive the market. Some of those are even OSU fans. Why would you bring anyone into your business, give them a full partner share, not only diluting your cut, but not adding anymore value to your product line. Not only that, but they have no potential to add any value in the future. As a business man with any position of authority in any company I'm involved with, that would be shot down as fast as I could shoot it. If I have to answer to shareholders, (fans) I wouldnt touch the with a ten foot pole. It's just not good business.

Now, some areas on the east coast we might talk about. why, because the have a dense population. From a business standpoint that would make more sense with more value involved. I wouldnt throw OU any rope no matter how much they screamed save me.

ps: and tu is an after thought because of their beloved bevo channel. And its a channel not a network. SEC has a network with real content and real advertisers. And thats what most of those clowns cant figure out. You can always tell how valuable something is on tv by the amount of advertisers wanting to get in. Pete's carwash on Lamar, and Action Jacksons bail bonds aint gonna cut it. But they havent figured that out yet.
              wbt5845
              AG
              quote:
              quote:
              Critical thought is not exercised in Bellmont, very often.

Looking back, it is becoming obvious why Dodds had to structure the LHN the way he did. He had been cooking the books. They flat out didn't have the funds to buy out IMG. Then Dodds pissed away the money from the A&M game (another property of IMG) out of ego.
              They said they had more money than the Vatican. What gives?

I guess, much like the Vatican, they discovered it's hard to take a withdrawal against Michelangelo's Pietawhen you gotta pay the electric bill this month.
              goodAg80
              AG
              quote:
              Fare the* well, sweet sips.

Fare the* well.
              *thee

Or "Drown in the well"
              goodAg80
              AG
              quote:
              To start with, I have no interest in Texas joining the SEC. I've made that clear many times.

However, I'm curious about one thing. If there was credible economic benefit to the conference (and consequently A&M), would Aggies get past the emotion to make a clear decision?

What's the logic behind Florida (also Georgia and South Carolina) not wanting two teams from the state being in the conference?

I got the whole "...ifs and buts..." thing. I was just curious.
              It's hard to answer anything seriously here. But,

If it was economically beneficial and equitable, the emotion could be gotten over. But, odds are low on both of those points. The economics are not favorable for adding a team in the same region. Texas has consistently shown they do not believe the playing field should be level. They believe they drive the market and should be given more. I have been privy to various behind the scenes discussion and this has been a point of friction for at least the last 30 years.

Sharing a region with another team is mostly a recruiting issue.

aggiehawg
              AG
              quote:
              quote:
              To start with, I have no interest in Texas joining the SEC. I've made that clear many times.

However, I'm curious about one thing. If there was credible economic benefit to the conference (and consequently A&M), would Aggies get past the emotion to make a clear decision?

What's the logic behind Florida (also Georgia and South Carolina) not wanting two teams from the state being in the conference?

If it was economically beneficial and equitable, the emotion could be gotten over. But, odds are low on both of those points. The economics are not favorable for adding a team in the same region. Texas has consistently shown they do not believe the playing field should be level. They believe they drive the market and should be given more. I have been privy to various behind the scenes discussion and this has been a point of friction for at least the last 30 years.

You must have missed it when we made a "clear decision" to go the SEC. Sticking with tu would have been an "emotional decision."

Point of fact is that tu has made nothing but "emotional decisions" throughout conference realignment. Dodds made "feel good" decisions that pandered to ego and braggadocio. Those decisions have not and will not work out well for them.

Although the state of Texas is very attractive to both the B1G and the PAC, the LHN negates that value to their conference networks. There is also the pesky problem of having to buy-into the BTN. Several years with a much reduced pay-out from the conference. The price of which will only increase over time, as the BTN is an asset that appreciates in value. That financial hit would be very problematical given the current money situation on the 40 acres.

Windows of opportunity are just that...windows. They open, and then they close.
              StephenvilleAg77
              quote:
              quote:

33:
                A&M made a clear and rational business decision when it joined the SEC. Because it was a far-reaching decision that affected so many tangible and intangible areas of the university, the entire A&M university system, and the state of Texas, A&M did analyses of almost every aspect. The pro's outnumbered and outweighed the con's by a substantial factor.
                  Regarding your question about Utex and the SEC, yes, we would make a clear rational decision on how we would vote. Economic benefit would be just one of the aspects involved in making the decision. There are many other tangible and intangible factors that would also enter into it.
                  vettmaster99
                  AG
                  I think most on here are overlooking the fact that Alabama's new president is an Aggie too. So you might as well count that as a NO vote.
                  West Point Aggie
                  AG
                  poor sippie 33...not as obnoxious as 55, but gets his head banged in just as often and almost as violently...
                  Rocco S
                  quote:

It would be a clear decision to tell tu to **** off. It would have nothing to do with emotion. Why would we give up the advantage we have of being the lone TX team in the SEC?
                  schwack schwack
                  AG
                  Hell, yeah, Rocco.
                  Bobcat06
                  AG
                  We decided not to do business with an untrustworthy partner with a long record of betraying good faith.

It wasn't an emotional decision.
                  J-Licious
                  AG
                  quote:
                  Im not so sure that aTm would for sure arrange a block of Texas into the SEC. There are still a ****load of Aggies on TexAgs that beg to play those *******s, if enough money was brokered. Never say never.

I am one of those people that would like the game to be revived, but I am happy to say I wouldn't let them in...
                  AgBQ07
                  AG
                  I would like a renewal of the rivalry game, but it is too soon. 2020 might still be too soon.

Keep them the f*** out of the SEC.
                  Aggball2010
                  AG
                  quote:

So tell me, how much have we bargained for our new conference opponents? Who is paying this money?

You use a legit reason for ags wanting to play tu OOC, but go potato when you apply it to a conference scenario.

subscribe Verify your student status
                  See Subscription Benefits
                  Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.