Statesman says everything you need to know about the 40 acres

8,920 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by MallalieuAg
Vestal_Flame
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
If you truly understood how Barnes is guided by faith and loyalty, then you understand why he is no longer coaching the Longhorns.
Statesman Article
Credible Source
AG
Steve Patterson is quickly becoming one of my favorite people.
Clown Question
I wonder if barnes is going to stick around and **** on his replacement like mack does.

Please patterson, hire billy kennedy.
aggiehawg
AG
Pay-wall.

Cliff's Notes??
Vestal_Flame
AG
I didn't bother to read the article. I just found it enjoyable to read on the front page of t.u.'s hometown payper that that faith and loyalty are not compatible with working in Bellmont.
RoamingGnome
Wait his wife's name is Candy?? Why was I not aware of this before??
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
It really puts things into perspective when Patterson can't fire a n underachieving head coach that everybody expected to be fired without it blowing up in his face.

When Patterson fires Strong, it'll be the clown show that all other clown shows will be measured against it
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
It really puts things into perspective when Patterson can't fire a n underachieving head coach that everybody expected to be fired without it blowing up in his face.

When Patterson fires Strong, it'll be the clown show that all other clown shows will be measured against it
I'm beginning to think Patterson gets fired before Strong does. Much cheaper. Won't help the football program much, but Bellmont has much bigger financial problems. Patterson has only tried to address the revenue side, not the bloat in expenses. His methods have not been received all that well by the BMD, nor the rank and file season ticket holders.

He has diminishing credibility, and few supporters.
Bitter Old Man
AG
quote:
When Patterson fires Strong, it'll be the clown show that you'll tell your grandchildren about...

FIFY
El Nino in Londontown
AG
quote:
Steve Patterson is quickly becoming one of my favorite people.
Bitter Old Man
AG
I don't know. It feels a lot like the Byrne/Fran days. If you'll recall we went through this exact thing with a AD raising prices and squeezing revenue while the FBall team continued to shat the bed. Also, they are getting a new U President, and I think Bowtie came along during that time as well...
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
I don't know. It feels a lot like the Byrne/Fran days. If you'll recall we went through this exact thing with a AD raising prices and squeezing revenue while the FBall team continued to shat the bed. Also, they are getting a new U President, and I think Bowtie came along during that time as well...
Fenves is a FOP--Friend of Powers--meaning he won't be all that different than Powers.
BohunkAg
AG
I'm not subscribing to the Stateswoman to read that sh-t
el aggie
AG
Cliff's Notes:

Patterson told Barnes he would be back next year after losing to Butler. Patterson is a liar and added strings tied to his return that Barnes didn't like. Barnes didnt make changes so Patterson fired him, even though Patterson already said he'd be back next year. Sips now owe Barnes almost $2 million in buyout plus whatever buyout they'll have to pay for their new coach.
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks, el aggie.

Patterson did exactly the same thing to Brown. (Without the ultimatum.)

Makes me wonder who the enforcer is. Patterson doing 180s virtually overnight indicates someone with a lot of power is overruling him.
TheHulkster
AG
Who would've imagined that the sips would manage to locate and hire a bigger asshat than Deloss Dodds as his replacement?

I feel like it must be a conspiracy, and some high-powered Aggie lizard-man shapeshifter is pulling the strings behind the scene, and intentionally wrecking the sip AD.

I couldn't have scripted it any better than it has been playing out.
wbt5845
AG
quote:
BEAT ME TO IT
Hood
AG
quote:
Thanks, el aggie.

Makes me wonder who the enforcer is. Patterson doing 180s virtually overnight indicates someone with a lot of power is overruling him.
Byrne had to fire Sherman even though he didn't want to do it. He had to answer to Loftin. Probably the same thing going on here but with worse communication between them.
Clown Question
quote:

I think that is patterson just being patterson. Reportedly he got the AD job because he was willing to fire brown (luck wanted it done before he started). So I could see him ****ing around with brown and barnes just because he has a rep for being an *******.

Part of me thinks he will be hardpressed to find $3 million plus a year needed to get a true superstar coach for MBB. The big donors do not like him and the BOR supposedly does not like him. His department was running a deficit and he needs BOR for any contract.

Plus, I have to think a coach sees the mess going on there and hesitates. Anyone they go after is going to be already making good money, so they may not view an extra million or two as worth the hassle. Especially like others I think patterson is gone sometime next year if strong continues to struggle.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
quote:
Thanks, el aggie.

Byrne had to fire Sherman even though he didn't want to do it. He had to answer to Loftin. Probably the same thing going on here but with worse communication between them.
Powers was a Mack Brown bestie. And right now Powers is a lame duck, not to mention a Barnes afficionado. Not seeing Powers as the one twisting Patterson's arm.

OTOH, Patterson could be that BSC and wakes up in a different world every day. What he said yesterday has no bearing on what he says today. Certainly a lot of evidence other than Brown and Barnes for that.

Poor-boying the University of Texas Athletic Department is the exact opposite of Dodds. Fund-raising is not Patterson's forte.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Seems to me to actually be tu consistent.

Strong doesn't get rid of players, just invites them to seek different opportunities.

BB coach isn't fired for his 2014/2015 performance. But, he's fired for not agreeing with orders on necessary changes for next year.

Same ol' same ol'.

They aren't the only organization that fudges around the "firing" concept. But, I don't see how any self respecting coach with reasonable alternatives would agree to work there.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Seems to me to actually be tu consistent.

Strong doesn't get rid of players, just invites them to seek different opportunities.

BB coach isn't fired for his 2014/2015 performance. But, he's fired for not agreeing with orders on necessary changes for next year.

Same ol' same ol'.

They aren't the only organization that fudges around the "firing" concept. But, I don't see how any self respecting coach with reasonable alternatives would agree to work there.
Having leaks is one thing. What Patterson did was send out the news that he had demanded the staff change...or else. Why?? Assuage some boosters that he was "tough"??
aTm2004
AG
610 discussed that this morning and saying maybe it was an agreement between Barnes and Flashy Suit. Barnes agrees to resign while looking like a hero, and Patterson will take the PR hit for it. Keeps it from being messy. It makes sense.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
610 discussed that this morning and saying maybe it was an agreement between Barnes and Flashy Suit. Barnes agrees to resign while looking like a hero, and Patterson will take the PR hit for it. Keeps it from being messy. It makes sense.
Patterson voluntarily agrees to bite the s*** sandwich???

Out of character for him. He blames others before himself, always.

And if that were the deal, why was Barnes throwing him under the bus in his presser yesterday???? I watched the whole thing. Barnes did not show any body language or say anything remotely complimentary about Patterson other than he had changed the game day atmosphere in the Erwin Center (and he really didn't praise even that.)
the Ambassador
AG
Don't you folks know... they had to make room, because Calipari is a silent commit. I can't wait until that ridiculousness starts up.
Rocagnante
AG
quote:
Don't you folks know... they had to make room, because Calipari is a silent commit. I can't wait until that ridiculousness starts up.

There are 3 other coaches in the running.....that's why they are calling it the Final Four this year aren't they?
Brakeman
Patterson has been a turd since day one. He has manipulated Scatman and will continue to do so. Scatman is only guilty of being incompetent.
longhornhere55
The Gold Standard

quote:
A national leader with Texas roots, Eric Hyman has led Texas A&M University to eye-opening success in the Southeastern Conference as Director of Athletics.

Eye Opening? I guess the football team competing for last in the SEC West & basketball making the NIT is the gold standard at A&M. LOL!

And yea, I guess keeping Sleepy Kennedy is eye opening.

See What I Did There?

StephenvilleAg77
Patterson has a huge ego and loves to fire/hire coaches and put the spotlight on himself as the boss. At Portland, he was obsessed with his own p.r. and power. Until multi-billionaire owner Paul Allen tired of it and canned him.
Credible Source
AG
Don't worry big guy. Texas will get back to winning at stuff. You just watch. Just keep repeating to yourself what you want to be true.
HTownAg98
If they would have waited until Wednesday, the buyout drops by $250K. This is the same group of clowns that wouldn't pay $600K for a football coach buyout.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
If they would have waited until Wednesday, the buyout drops by $250K. This is the same group of clowns that wouldn't pay $600K for a football coach buyout.
Guess that extra $250K was part of the bargain Patterson made for Barnes to not cause as much stink as Brown did.

Or Patterson had a target who wouldn't speak with him until there was an "opening." Some coaches are sticklers about that...but they are generally older and have respect for brethren coaches.
Brakeman
Longwhorn69....... I would take last place in the toughest football conference over first place in the Big YMCA 12 Conference.
longhornhere55
quote:
quote:

I think that is patterson just being patterson. Reportedly he got the AD job because he was willing to fire brown (luck wanted it done before he started). So I could see him ****ing around with brown and barnes just because he has a rep for being an *******.

Part of me thinks he will be hardpressed to find $3 million plus a year needed to get a true superstar coach for MBB. The big donors do not like him and the BOR supposedly does not like him. His department was running a deficit and he needs BOR for any contract.

Plus, I have to think a coach sees the mess going on there and hesitates. Anyone they go after is going to be already making good money, so they may not view an extra million or two as worth the hassle. Especially like others I think patterson is gone sometime next year if strong continues to struggle.
Reported by who? He was told to fire Brown after telling Brown his job was safe.

And the BOR will rubber stamp a $3ml contract for the right coach.

staticdoor
AG
Can we just permaban this guy already?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.