Horns Number 1 in Basketball?

28,320 Views | 533 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by 88jrt06
FXST
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Texas should be the new No. 1 on Monday. I imagine there will be an 80-20 or 70-30 split between the Longhorns and Kentucky in the next polls, with the edge going to Texas due to a slightly superior resume. Its neutral-court win over Pittsburgh from November looks better now that the Panthers are 3-0 in the Big East; the 'Horns have also beaten Michigan State and USC at home, and North Carolina on a semi-neutral court. Kentucky's body of work isn't bad -- it includes neutral wins over Stanford and UConn, and home wins over North Carolina and Louisville -- but the 'Cats will likely have to settle for No. 2, and hope the 'Horns falter on the road against Kansas State (on Jan. 18) or UConn (Jan. 23).

It's good to be the King!

I sent the club a wire stating, Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member.
GM
RK
AG
...and then the hated aggies came to town...
TREX01
Last I checked they don't hand out Basketball hardware til April. Save all your king/queen talk for another day. You never know when your best player may get a hangnail and miss a big game.
FXST
Texas has never been Number 1 in roundball so we will take the early ranking and smile.
Texas velvet maestro
UT athletics are unbelievable. Deloss Dodds must be doing something right.

It is good to see the Horns cruising toward more championships.
highwayman
#1 in basketball
#1 in baseball
#2 in football
BonniePrinceBilly
That's awesome. If it can't be Texas Tech, I'd rather Texas or Texas A&M be #1 in basketball.

FXST
Those crafty aggies may be right about our impending decline...we don't have any place else to go!

I sent the club a wire stating, Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member.
GM
Specialized
AG
quote:
UT athletics are unbelievable. Deloss Dodds must be doing something right.

This is obviously undeniable.

That athletic department seemingly prints money and championships. Dodds might be the best AD of all time and it pains me to say that. He has ALL of the money sports going full steam, not to mention very good teams in almost every non-revenue sports. texas has very few (if any) embarrasing teams that they ever put on the field.
Texas velvet maestro
^

not a bad post, that one.
Judge
Congrats at the ranking. Means significantly less in hoops then it does in football.
Texas velvet maestro
true, Judge. It simply means that as you read this post The Texas Longhorns have the best college basketball team in the world, 2nd to none.
dcaggie04
AG
Question for the horns, Does Dodds have anything to do with the women's side of the athletic program other than general oversight? I know tu has a women's AD, so I am wondering if she actually runs the women's side with Dodds just giving general yeahs and nays to big decisions?

Happy Kuykendahl
DeLoss tried to hire Gary Barnett, but got trumped by dkr and some big money boosters who wanted to hire Mack Brown.

Since Mack's arrival, money has been pouring in, thanks to football success. It's not hard to win at the other sports after that.

How many national titles did tu win last year? How many did we win?
Muy
AG
one big win over North Carolina, a great UNC team of course.

wait.... 11-3
Mailinator1892
With all of the National Championships last year you would've thought that the Aggies Athletic Department would be printing money as well.
Mr. Fancy Pants
cry-laugh
Objectivity
Worth repeating:

Why do UT "fans" feel the need to boast about former players(Or their program)here?

Insecurity, coupled with a search for personal identity, has to be a psychiatrist's dream. Mega billing hours....
Texas velvet maestro
quote:
Why do UT "fans" feel the need to boast about former players(Or their program)here?

objectivity, are you telling us you're not interested?
FXST
Definition
rivalry noun
/ˈraɪ.vəl.ri/ n [C or U]
when people, businesses, etc. compete with each other for the same thing
There's such rivalry among/between my three sons.
There's fierce rivalry for the job/to get the job.

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx
Objectivity
That's a different question.

Answer mine then I'll respond.

(En Garde!)
Objectivity
obsession:

the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.
Texas velvet maestro
Obj, I thought you were interested. I thought you came over to the rivalries board to interact with Longhorn fans. I assumed that your desire to be around Horn fans was overwhelming, even dwarfing the fact that UT lords over you in athletics. Otherwise it seems like you'd spend your time on the other TexAgs boards.
Objectivity
That's all you got ???

I'll give you 10 more minutes to think of something better.....
Harry Stone
AG
tu does have a great team with a lot of depth.
highwayman
quote:

Is this a serious question?
Texas velvet maestro
never mind. you're too good at this.
landman1
Boozing hit the nail on the head with his post. Texas won 0 NC's last year, while the Ags had 3.

That's why Texas has drifted into mediocrity and off the national radar while the Ags have been at or near the top for so long now.
Objectivity
Velvet -

Here's an entree:

UT's Athletic record is undeniable, second to maybe only one or two(but let's just say none). A&M's doesn't even compare from an overall standing. Being totally truthful here.

That's not the issue that I bring up, or even question.
Texas velvet maestro
quote:
UT's Athletic record is undeniable, second to maybe only one or two(but let's just say none). A&M's doesn't even compare from an overall standing. Being totally truthful here.

Objectivity, in a way you just answered your pwn question.
But I'll boil it down for you.
Public service and education.

Now go have a great lunch and a better day.
Godfather
They need to takea look at their women's programs. Aside from volleyball, and maybe swimming they suck.......
Objectivity
Velvet -

You still missed it man.

Let me know when you can meet me on the 10th floor. The elevator comes once a day but sometimes never.

Until then, try to chill and Hook'em.
Texas velvet maestro
Hook'em, bro.
Chest Rockwell
quote:
How many national titles did tu win last year? How many did we win?

If you polled 100 Aggie sports fans(*) and gave them the choice of:
(a) Golf, Men's Track & Women's Track National Championships
(b) #1 in Basketball, #1 in Baseball, #2 in Football
I would guess 80-90+ of them would choose option (b).

The other 10-20 would surely recognize that aTm only had 2-3 NC's before this year (I'm eliminating those sports that involve a chicken), and would take what they can to try to fill up an otherwise vacant trophy case.

(*) - Boozing, I'd eliminate you from this polling group. I'd be more interested in the opinions of those people that would rather watch the NFL play-offs over Women's basketball. By the way, we call those people . . . . men.
Muy
AG
great insight Chest, we'll take this into consideration in our next meeting

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.