Real Estate
Sponsored by

Trust owned Real estate damage payment

926 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 380sl
3rdgenAg2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure if this is the right board for this question or not but here it goes.

We own property in Texas that is owned by a revocable trust that my wife and I set up and are the co-trustees on. A pipeline is coming through it and the pipeline company said they have to send the check to the name listed on the title, which is the trust.

Do we need to set up a bank account for the trust to receive these funds or could we just cash the check into our own joint checking account? Since its made out to the trust I suspect the bank could have an issue with that. I have not asked the bank this yet.

Any ideas?
HTownAg98
Talk to your accountant about that.
Trident 88
AG
Why not add the bank account to the trust?
380sl
We had the same thing happen to us. Pipeline condemnation on property owned by a trust. Open a bank account in the name of the trust and deposit there. Since it's a "taking" you can elect a 1033 exchange on your taxes and you have 2 years to buy another property before taxes are due. Since it's a 1033 you don't have to go through a qualified intermediary like a 1031. Simply checking the box on the tax form.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.