Real Estate
Sponsored by

Why do Texas suburbs become ghetto after 20-30 years?

19,455 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by BoDog
Cyp0111
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The other problem in Texas specifically (Houston in particular) is you have massive suburban school districts in largely unincorporated areas without strict development regulations.

I think smaller township led suburbs with smaller school districts helps with some of the above. Unfortunate for Texas, our growth is largely into prairieland.
jja79
AG
Good point about the unincorporated areas. I was in Katy Friday around Jordan Ranch road. It was depressing. Talked to a guy that moved there from Cody, Wyoming. Asked him how they're liking it and he said it's perfect if you like warehouses, strip centers repetitive neighborhoods.
hopeandrealchange
I think it Can be explained this easy.
Cops are concentrated in the bad areas. Thugs move to the unprotected areas and take over. People with options moves to a better area . Rinse and repeat.
BCG Disciple
AG
This thread is in my head. I'm seeing multi residential everywhere in The Woodlands. It used to not stand out. All nice now of course.

Went to north shore park over the weekend. Thought I was at a United Nations family outing, Impressively international and diverse.

None of the above is a bad thing for the short term, but I'm just wondering where things land in a decade.
BoDog
AG
Its all part of the (D) plan.

You bring in third world, you get third world. In about 30-40 years God forbid if you cannot afford to live in a gated community and/or send your kids to private school. Our kids (and especially their kids) are screwed.
You get it, brother. I was censured and pilloried a few pages back for daring to address the demographic replacement of Americans with third worlders, and postulating the severe, unforetold consequences that await. It certainly doesn't bode well for the future of the deteriorating, crime infested leftist sh*tholes of NYC, Chicago, SF, LA, et al. But anyone who believes Texas cities, suburbs, and yes, even rural communities, will come away unscathed by all this, are delusional.

Seeing Plano's rapid decline in just twenty years is shocking, but it's only a microcosm of what's going on all over the state. And that deterioration was before the southern flood gates opened. Imagine what these once-beautiful, prosperous suburbs will look like in another ten or twenty years? Not looking too good.
agAngeldad
If you want your community to stay up. No apartments, larger house lots with top level building restrictions. Cities want tax revenue so they allow lots of development.
murphyag
AG
126233 said:

EclipseAG,

Thank you for your wonderful multi-post analysis on this issue. What's interesting to me is that, given the clear evidence that apartments eventually lead to decline (both demographic and socioeconomic), why do residents allow this?

Plano residents for instance valiantly fought and sued the city over the "Plano Tomorrow" plan in 2020, which wanted to turn every remaining vacant plot of land in Plano into a high density multi-family or mixed use development.

The leftist race-baiting media of course immediately insinuated that Plano's rejection of "Plano Tomorrow" was due to racism, while ignoring valid complaints about density, traffic, a diminished suburban character, and the very strong correlation between increased apartments and declining schools (economically disadvantaged students perform poorly overall).

Only problem was this fight came way too late, since tens of thousands of apartments were built in Plano between 2010 and 2020. No matter what developers or city officials say about apartments being needed, they ALWAYS lead to brisk demographic shifts and decline. Residents know this, and yet, rather than fight to preserve their neighborhoods character, they just up and leave once too many poor people start moving in. This trend is already playing out in other Collin County suburbs like Allen, McKinney, and current suburban darling Frisco, which is hot now, but probably won't be 10 years.

Southlake is the only suburb in DFW which has fought successfully to ensure that no apartment complexes, even ones billing themselves as "high end" ever get built there. Southlake may be the first DFW suburb to stay nice indefinitely because of its strict ban on apartments.
Southlake isn't the only one. I live in Lucas and we don't have any apartments. The neighboring towns of Parker and Murphy don't have any apartments either.
murphyag
AG
126233 said:

Yep, the role liberals played in the decline of countless suburban communities can't be underestimated.

Harry LaRosiliere, a RINO, was mayor of Plano from 2013 to 2021. He was a complete disaster, and Plano's rapid deterioration falls squarely upon his shoulders. He prioritized the interests of developers over homeowners, promoted high density "affordable" (read Section 8) housing over new single family homes, arrogantly dismissed the concerns of long time residents weary of apartments, and then had the nerve to cry "racism" when residents aggressively protested against his maniacal corruption.

Mr. LaRosiliere is black.

Of course, the simping race demagogues in the leftist news media rushed to his defense, admonishing the "racist" mostly white residents who strongly opposed LaRosiliere's destructive policies. Mr. LaRosiliere's second term was particularly contentious, as he ran against a staunch anti-apartment candidate, and yet STILL won, despite all the damage he caused during his first term.

The only reason he won a second term was because of liberal support who viewed this issue through the lens of "racism" and "white supremacy", as they always do. Both LaRosiliere and his opponent, Lily Bao, ran as Republicans.

The only difference between a swarm of locusts and liberals is that locusts don't know any better. Liberals never learn from their failures or question their deranged ideologies. In fact they double down, leaving a path of destruction in every community they infest.
Lily Bao was no saint. She is a realtor who represents a lot of investors who live in China and buy up homes in Plano and turn them into rental properties. Rent houses with absentee landlords leads to many problems in suburban neighborhoods.
Bao was no saint but the centerpiece of her campaign was restricting uncontrolled apartment development. Not like it would have made a significant difference, Plano's fate was already sealed by around 2010. But maybe she could have curtailed the tens of thousands of additional apartment units that are in planning as of 2024.

I've come to accept Plano's unfortunate destiny. It like so many suburbs before it, was predetermined to become sh*th*le once the apartment building spree took off around 2010 and the problem people started moving in. As those apartments age, the problem only worsens, and when you have cities like Plano, Frisco, and McKinney building thousands upon thousands of units per year, it all but ensures these communities will continue to decline for the next decade, and within two decades be total dumps.
BoDog
AG
Be careful OP, by stating the obvious many on this thread will call you a racists...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.