Real Estate
Sponsored by

Our next flip in Timbergrove

33,546 Views | 201 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Diggity
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It would cost a few grand, but a large built in shelving space where you could put a TV, books,toys etc etc in that bedroom 5 will I think add a ton of value and really make the buyers feel like it is more of a custom home.

That or making the closet in that room a walk in space would also appeal much more than another 2 door reach in. You lose a ton of functional access with reach ins.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Here is the latest. I've tried to address as many of the issues that we've collectively brought up. We got rid of the study and inserted a dedicated laundry room (moving the W/D) away from the pantry/mud room, and distributing the space throughout. We also moved the front door left, and pulled back the hallway wall, which will give the user the ability to walk in the front door and either cut into the hall or walk straight past the dining room table and into the family room. Finally, we also added a kitchen bar for seating and mud room right off the garage. I think the only change from here will be HVAC returns in each room (12"). I really wish I could have made the study into a dedicated dining room, but the space on the left side of the house and space for a laundry room somewhere else just wasn't there. It's not perfect, but I think this should be appealing to our end user. Any last ideas before we go to engineering and submit for permits?

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
ChoppinDs40
AG
Front elevation is kind of lacking. Be prepared to spend some good money on landscaping to distract from the basic of all basic ranch style elevation.

Also, I would make sure your entry furniture staging is nails. You're still opening the front door into a wide open space. I would add beams or something to draw eyes up and left/right vs walking straight into a square room. Suggest a change in flooring at the front, light fixture there, something.

Dedicated laundry is good idea… really spruce that up with some nice tile (herringbone laid or something).

Pendants over the island. Really blow out the pantry too. Cabinets with built ins. I think putting the microwave in there would be better for a butler pantry style room. Maybe even add a small vegetable washing sink or a separate dish washer.

Honestly, for a nice "pro kitchen" look, the high end ovens with burners on top are really in right now. We have the dual oven KitchenAid with 6 burners and a griddle and we get tons of compliments on it. You can get them in cool colors too that will really make this thing pop.
htxag09
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Front elevation is kind of lacking. Be prepared to spend some good money on landscaping to distract from the basic of all basic ranch style elevation.
I don't really see this as an issue for this location at all.....
Shooter McGavin
AG
Keep seeing the comments about the 5th bedroom and increased valuation.

I don't adjust for 4 vs 5 bedrooms in appraisals unless there is really good data to support it, which is rare.

davido
AG
I grew up in the pink with gray (sink, toilet, tub) version of that bathroom. Exact layout.
davido
AG
I didn't read it all, but one thing that we did in a remodel is setup the cabinets for a built in Whirlpool Sidekicks. I love the space and they constantly get compliments of a high end look. Plus with that many bedrooms, they'll need a lot of groceries. If the cabinet surround is big enough for Whirlpools, it will also fit the Frigidaires IIRC.

I'd slide them in 18-24" so that there's a countertop on the corner. Then I'd probably be 36" to the stove. I like the fridge on the edge also as it keeps a lot of other traffic out of the kitchen proper, but that will be a bit of a pinch point with the L IMO.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
That is a great idea. Maybe that far back wall. I don't really like the mud room concept but have time to think on it.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Sea Speed
AG
That is interesting that with kids you don't like mud rooms. We absolutely LOVE IT otherwise backpacks and shoes and other crap ends up all over the entire house. Having that dedicated space really knocks down on crap
htxag09
AG
Sea Speed said:

That is interesting that with kids you don't like mud rooms. We absolutely LOVE IT otherwise backpacks and shoes and other crap ends up all over the entire house. Having that dedicated space really knocks down on crap
Depends how you look at it....

It's also just another place for a bunch of unneeded crap to end up and start piling up...like a junk drawer.

My wife and my workbags go in our room. My son's backpack goes in his room. Our shoes go in the coat closet by the front door (shoe rack in there). Etc.

But, for a flip, yes, I'd agree most people want a mudroom.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Hmm. Let's do a poll:
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Keep the mud room as laid out in the plans above
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Delete the mud room, make more pantry space, and add a fridge/freezer.
Sea Speed
AG
We have shoe rack and backpack hooks and coat hooks. There really isn't a way for other stuff to get left there. Now the kitchen table and computer desk on the other hand, that is a constant battle.

It also sounds like you have 1 kid which is much easier to manage. We have 3 and this home looks to be built for several as well.
Sea Speed
AG
If you're going for a custom kitchen look, I think you need to figure out how to do a full size fridge and freezer in the kitchen and then there is no need for a second fridge.

I wish I would have realized just how much you were going to be willing to do to this place I w ould have thought much harder about it a couple weeks back
htxag09
AG
Sea Speed said:

We have shoe rack and backpack hooks and coat hooks. There really isn't a way for other stuff to get left there. Now the kitchen table and computer desk on the other hand, that is a constant battle.

It also sounds like you have 1 kid which is much easier to manage. We have 3 and this home looks to be built for several as well.
If you knew my wife, it'll be the same no matter how many we have. I mean people would always tell us wait until you have a kid and all their toys, your house won't look this nice. Well, he's almost 3, still does.

And location wise, there are always exceptions, but I'd say standard family in Timbergrove is 1 or 2 kids. They still want more rooms for things like an office, guest room, play room, etc. But don't see a whole lot of families of 5+ in the area
Sea Speed
AG
I dont think there are a whole lot of families of 5+ at all anymore outside of the deeply religious or dirt poor. Such a shame.
Diggity
AG
my wife it a neat freak and the mud room is one of her favorite places in the house. You can keep them organized like any other room in the house. It's just a handy location since it's right off the garage.

When you have 2+ kids, getting everyone out in the morning is an adventure, so having backpacks, shoes, jackets, etc. all in one place is very helpful.
The Fife
I worked around not having a mud room by putting some IKEA wardrobe cabinets in the foyer. It's a real neat, clean solution since the kids learned where theirs shoes, jackets an stuff go and that if they don't use them they're going to get called right back over to put their crap where it belongs.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Sounds like the mud room needs to stay. I would have been in the minority there. Thankful for y'all's input.
ChoppinDs40
AG
I'd do a door from bedroom 4 into the bathroom. As is, none of the bedrooms outside the master connect to a bathroom.

Lose the pocket door from mud room to pantry and put the pocket door from kitchen to that area instead.

This way, when the mudroom is full of junk, you can close it off easily. When you're home and using it all (most of the time), pocket door is open.

Or keep the one into the pantry.

A well organized/design mudroom/pantry could be absolute nails. Nice decorative tile. Built-ins. Sink in the pantry, microwave in there maybe with a window... It'll be an awesome little preparation area for the day.
JJxvi
AG
I feel like Bedroom 5 is the most likely "bedroom that's not a bedroom" candidate in this floor plan to be used for some other use whether that be home theater, play room, game room, home office, etc but the door to access this room is too far down a hallway away from the main shared area of the house as if it were exclusively a bedroom.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
We submitted for permits via a permit runner on November 3rd (a Friday) and received our WCR letter on November 7th (the following Tuesday). It was a super fast turnaround but I'm not super happy that it cost us $326 for the city to tell us they would provide water to the house.

The expectation is that we should receive comments back from the city on our plans within 30 days. Then make some changes, resubmit, and wait another 30 days or so for our approval. So we should be able to break ground in January.

GoodOlAg05
AG
If you ever need vinyl windows for any of your flips, I work at Trophy Windows and would be happy to help a fellow Aggie!

lance @ trophywindows dot com
MS08
AG
Lance, I'll keep in mind for my upcoming townhome development I am working on.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
GoodOlAg05 said:

If you ever need vinyl windows for any of your flips, I work at Trophy Windows and would be happy to help a fellow Aggie!

lance @ trophywindows dot com

I'll shoot you an email this morning!
E
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Oh, and for giggles:

https://www.har.com/homedetail/1622-haverhill-dr-houston-tx-77008/3254103
Looks like our favorite $1M+ homes on Haverhill are struggling....

I guess putting outdoor grills in your living room and using highschool stadium astroturf doesnt appeal to buyers?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Great example of why sellers have to be careful with who they choose as their horse. That house had multiple offers. Looks like they choose poorly. And the months of October, November, January, February are never kind to sellers. I know I sound like a broken record telling folks that but it's still true.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Our plans were APPROVED on 11/30/23. I was really expecting at least some comments on this, so I'm not quite ready to go break ground tomorrow, but I'm going to accelerate some conversations and see what I can get done quickly. BAM!

wessimo
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
We have liftoff! Foundation guys came out yesterday and got started framing up for their pour. At the same time about a dozen parakeets landed on the tree right beside the house. That's a good omen, right?

Diggity
AG
it's fate telling you that your flip is for the birds.
Red Pear Realty
Win At Life
AG
Going to pour a slab over the grass or trench and compact after the form boards are in place?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
They're going to trench it. They've got a lot of work to do!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.