Real Estate
Sponsored by

Here's one to stew on: family land/inheritance

127,343 Views | 391 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by tamuangry
Chet Ripley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MS08 said:

schwack schwack said:

Right?!?! Their mailing address is a property with no improvements? The county will figure it out at some point - with or without them going in - but then they risk it being pro-rated back to built date,don't they?

This nugget leaves us wanting for more, hah! I don't think they can retroactively collect property taxes as those are based on what the assessed value is. But, looks like they may end up biting their nose off to spite their face. We will stay tuned!

Actually the Tax Code requires the CAD to go back and add "omitted property" as far as 5 years for real estate. Existing improvements that are not reflected on the appraisal roll qualify as "omitted property". Sometimes the local CAD will choose to not go back annd andd the missing property in back years, but they are supposed to.

After reading this thread, I have to admit I would be very tempted to put a bug in the CAD's ear. Property missing from the appraiser roll just means that other taxpayers have to make up for the taxes not being assessed to the owners of the missing property.
bqce
AG
Found this post today. One of the most interesting rabbit holes I've been down in a while. Good thing I'm retired. Bless your heart Mr. schwack
Deats99
AG
schwack schwack said:

Quote:

Any updates?

Not really. They all tend to keep to themselves unless they need to borrow some of Dad's tools or farm equipment.

Sister upset at an increase in the tax value of their lot. Here's how stupid they are: their newly constructed house isn't even "discovered" yet, but they think they are going to protest. They have some AG on it for bees - so we're not talking much tax! Y'all, it's a really minimal tax increase compared to some of ours - but they don't listen. I kinda hope they do it & get hit for the house. Is that wrong?!?!?

Effing hilarious at this point.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
tamuangry
I'm just curious … any new news? Any planned drama around the upcoming holidays?
schwack schwack
AG
The news this year is not good - our nephew passed away in June. In many ways it was a blessing, his quality of life had diminished greatly in the last year or so. That said, there was a lot of family drama surrounding his passing that I won't go into but relationships were not improved. In typical fashion, they handled things poorly.

As to the day to day around there, things are the same with them & parents. No improvement. Parents have been having some health issues - nothing too major, but they aren't much help.

Their house has still not been discovered by the CAD, so they've got that going for them. I'm guessing their land value will increase quite a bit in 2023, so I look forward to hearing about their protest. LOL.

We are set to go there for Christmas - Thanksgiving is with Mrs. Schwack's side. The last few times we have been they don't come over. I'm guessing they will come for lunch Christmas day though - the food is always good - and heck, it's a free meal. Oh - speaking of food, they now have chickens & honey producing. They don't share with parents despite them using all of Dad's farm equipment, etc. They do sell to others, so I guess parents could BUY some....
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I wonder if its time to show them some extra love. You may already be doing this, you have already been way more kind about this than I would have been.

Its a bad situation, they aren't good people and you can't change that. I am sure you wish things would have gone different.

The loss of your nephew will weigh on everyone for years and it sounds like you have a few precious years left with your folks. I can't imagine they will act appropropriately when your folks pass so this may be your last chance. However you can go out of your way to show love and forgive what you can and ignore what you can't. This may soften them up some for the time in which you parents pass.

And you know the way in as a big gift of monetary value
tamuangry
schwack schwack said:

The news this year is not good - our nephew passed away in June. In many ways it was a blessing, his quality of life had diminished greatly in the last year or so. That said, there was a lot of family drama surrounding his passing that I won't go into but relationships were not improved. In typical fashion, they handled things poorly.

As to the day to day around there, things are the same with them & parents. No improvement. Parents have been having some health issues - nothing too major, but they aren't much help.

Their house has still not been discovered by the CAD, so they've got that going for them. I'm guessing their land value will increase quite a bit in 2023, so I look forward to hearing about their protest. LOL.

We are set to go there for Christmas - Thanksgiving is with Mrs. Schwack's side. The last few times we have been they don't come over. I'm guessing they will come for lunch Christmas day though - the food is always good - and heck, it's a free meal. Oh - speaking of food, they now have chickens & honey producing. They don't share with parents despite them using all of Dad's farm equipment, etc. They do sell to others, so I guess parents could BUY some....

Yikes! Thanks for sharing

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.