Business & Investing
Sponsored by

AMEX Blue Cash Preferred card

1,968 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by permabull
FayetteAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was looking at applying for this card but wasn't sure if they considered HEB as a "supermarket". I called and they listed a few stores that I haven't heard of. I was wondering if anyone that has the card knows? Thanks!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
They do. And that's my primary CC. Great card.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
AgsMyDude
AG
FayetteAg92 said:

I was looking at applying for this card but wasn't sure if they considered HEB as a "supermarket". I called and they listed a few stores that I haven't heard of. I was wondering if anyone that has the card knows? Thanks!

It absolutely does. You can also buy HEB gift cards and then use them to buy gas if yours has it. A little hack to earn 6% back on gas.

Feel free to use my referral link so you can get an extra $250!

https://americanexpress.com/en-us/referral/blue-cash-preferred-credit-card?ref=STEVEHTVaX&xl=cp01

"Apply for an American Express Card with this link. With your new Card, you could earn a welcome bonus and your friend could earn a referral bonus. "

"Each friend can earn:
$250
back after they spend $3,000 in purchases on their new Blue Cash Preferred Card in their first 6 months of Card Membership. They will receive $250 in the form of a statement credit."
FayetteAg92
Thanks!
Diggity
AG
Only PITA with that card is that Kroger gas doesn't count as a gas station and Walmart Neighborhood doesn't count as a grocery store.
permabull
AG
Walmart curbside pick up orders code as grocery at my location, even if I am picking up things like motor oil, tools, garden supplies etc
Diggity
AG
Count yourself lucky. That's not typical
permabull
AG
It only works when I order through the app
bigtruckguy3500
I like the card as well. Groceries are one of my biggest consistent expenses and 6% is a pretty good cash back. Gas is 3% consistently as well. I think you get like 3% back on transit as well (tolls, uber, etc).

Also, if you're military, the annual fee is waived.

Will throw out my referral link as well. https://americanexpress.com/en-us/referral/blue-cash-preferred-credit-card?ref=SYEDHlYRM&xl=cp15
LOYAL AG
AG
Looking at the site it says cash back can be redeemed as a statement credit. Does that mean you can't get it deposited into your bank account? We use Citi Double Cash for most everything and put the cash into our Apple savings account each month. Free money earning interest is a nice little win but that doesn't work if it's only a statement credit.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Nagler
AG
We use it for groceries and gas. 6% and 3% back.

Groceries do have a yearly limit. Once you hit that I believe it drops back down to 1%.
ChoppinDs40
AG
No it's a statement credit. Your bill says $1000, apply the credit and it shows up as a payment on the bill. Then pay the rest.
EliteZags
AG
the 6% back has a $6000 annual spend limit, which I don't spend that much on groceries but easily still max out by buying gas station/Amazon/Ebay/etc gift cards at grocery stores to get 6% back on pretty much all my gas an online spending

there's also a good amount of merchant offers which help offset the annual fee

https://americanexpress.com/en-us/referral/JOSEPZty0S?XLINK=MYCP

IowaAg07
AG
I have a PenFed credit card just for gas, it's 5% cash back on gas at any gas station. I have found that easier than trying to manage the different "hacks" or rotations on other cards.
permabull
AG
Good point, the grocery limit is $6000 per year, but you can have more than one card, just have to pay the annual fee again. If you are maxing that out it is probably worth getting another one. Chase freedom and discover it usually have groceries as a bonus category for a quarter a year so you can space it out with those as well.
permabull
AG
My go to gas card is the Wyndham business earner card from Barclays. I signed up a sole prop saying I sell stuff on eBay with a revenue (not profit) of $500 a year. Got approved and I get 8x Wyndham points per dollar spent at gas stations and 5x on utilities (gas/electric). It also gives me Wyndham diamond status which I am able to status match to Caesars Diamond which gives me no resort fees at their properties and $100 annual dinning credit. I am also able to xfer the Wyndham points to Caesars in chunks of 10k which I can use to pay for the room, restaurants and even place sports bets at a penny per point.

If you go to Vegas or Atlantic City once a year the card is pretty much s-tier with a solid 8x on gas station purchases
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.