Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Medical Spa Business

1,656 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Medaggie
uujm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody here own a Medi Spa? Are they still profitable in the right market or is it completely oversaturated? A friend's older sister did quite well with hers but she had the spa first and then expanded with her husband who was a doctor. I think she closed it when he died.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I see applications for these on the insurance side and there seems to be a fairly steady stream of start ups in TX. My 2c.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Dr T and the Women
AG
I am literally in the process of opening one. We have a very busy practice so natural feed into the spa
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Username checks out.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Does anyone know anyone looking to hire NPs in this area in College Station?
Mateo84
AG
It's not as profitable as you think unless you are doing high-volume and associated with another aesthetic practice like dermatology or plastic surgery. Even in those cases, the med spa can be a loss leader that brings people in to the other high-earning aspects of the practice.

The dentists and PCP's running med spas are not making any serious money off of them. And yes, there is one on every corner.

What it does expose you to is risk and headaches.

Aestheticians, "laser techs", etc are often difficult to hire and retain, nurse injectors and NP's just want to build their clientele and run off elsewhere on their own, etc. Expensive machines sitting unused, and expensive injectable and skincare products that expire on the shelf.

Also, make sure you are aware of ownership laws related to physician and non-physician ownership and ownership structures. Google corporate practice of medicine.
uujm
Mateo84 said:

It's not as profitable as you think unless you are doing high-volume and associated with another aesthetic practice like dermatology or plastic surgery. Even in those cases, the med spa can be a loss leader that brings people in to the other high-earning aspects of the practice.

The dentists and PCP's running med spas are not making any serious money off of them. And yes, there is one on every corner.

Aestheticians, "laser techs", etc are often difficult to hire and retain, nurse injectors and NP's just want to build their clientele and run off elsewhere on their own, etc. Expensive machines sitting unused, and expensive injectable and skincare products that expire on the shelf.

Also, make sure you are aware of ownership laws related to physician and non-physician ownership and ownership structures. Google corporate practice of medicine.
Thanks.

My girlfriend is a doctor and my sister in law is an RN who has been a school nurse since having kids which is why I was inquiring.
EliteZags
AG
always thought they should just be called Cosmetic Spas

nothing happening there is out of medical necessity
ChoppinDs40
AG
Mateo84 said:

having consulted for many DSO and MSO practices and "Medical" office type roll-ups...

This is good advice. They're tough and need to be ran like a business and not a doctor's office. It's all about recurring revenue, growing smart, employee retention, utilization of equipment, and controlling margins.

Yes, an insurance payor component is nice but you're now negotiating with an industry that exists for 1 reason: to pay out less money in benefits than they collect in premiums.

I think the low t clinic, botox, etc. thing has apex'd and become saturated.

That being said, if it's attached to a REAL dermatology clinic, you'll just be playing around with the front of the office (products, botox, facials, etc.) while the real money making will be the CPT code billing for dermatology. There is a massive shortage of dermatologists and the chasm is widening with aging population and less dermatology residents coming into the field.
Medaggie
Med spas made easy money but now everyone is opening one. It's a business. Equipment can be expensive. Entry is low. Most imp aspect is to get estheticians who are good, dependable, and personable.

You can have a great place but if your good estheticians leave, you start back at square one.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.