Business & Investing
Sponsored by

For Olds: Anyone better than Blue Cross/Blue Shield for Medicare Supplement

2,049 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by frankm01
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy, I am an Old. I am wondering about any experience with Medicare Supplement Insurance outside of BC/BS, I have found that the BS in their abbreviation is truly that BS! I have procrastinated for several years on switching, but am finally ready to pull the trigger. The statements I get from reflect that they pay NOTHING on our drugs or anything else. We pay them an aggregate amount of $8,712 per year. To date I can find 0 that they do for us.

Any thoughts, experience or references are appreciated!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
ToddyHill
AG
Hi Mark,

I can share my personal experience. I retired last July. My supplemental insurance is through United Healthcare/AARP. It was recommended to me by my Ex, who retired three years ago. My Medicare 'salesman' said it was a good policy, so I enrolled.

Like you, I pay the premium, and thus far have seen nothing in return. This past December, I contact another Insurance broker, who I've worked with in the past and has really impressed me. I tell him about my frustration with United Healthcare. He shares the various options, and he finds a policy I like. We begin the enrollment process, and he says..."Have you had cancer?" I answer 'yes.' (I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer two years ago in the very early early stages and am now on Active Surveillance). When I first took supplemental insurance that question was not asked. The agent stopped and said, 'You have to stay with United because no one else will take you."

Be careful...you might not have any options. Good luck.

MyMamaSaid
AG
I don't have the detailed analysis on hand anymore, but I had my mom comparison shop for supplemental insurance here in Texas about 12 years ago. She landed on BC/BS of Texas which we carried for 7+ years until she passed away in late 2019.

The policy was comprehensive and covered pretty much everything, including extensive medications to treat her COPD, oxygen machines, bottled oxygen, etc, etc. I paid for everything for my mom and I recall the supplemental coverage was in the neighborhood of $125/month. The drug co-pays were minimal - maybe a couple of bucks each. She had 5 or 6 occurrences where she landed in the ER/admitted into hospital for 4-7 days and then rehab facilities for a few days/weeks. I don't think any of those episodes ever resulted in any charges to me, nor did a couple of procedures during that timeframe. TBH, BC/BS was really good to me/her.

That's my experience, but yours may be different.
90 bull
AG
My mother in law has the Aetna supplemental insurance and has been happy. My wife went through a third party agent, and they really helped a lot.
permabull
AG
Plans change a lot depending on where you live. That being said, I ended up switching a family member to Aetna and it's fantastic for her situation. Seeing the same doctors and going to the same pharmacy as always but paying much less per year. She also will apparently get a $90 per quarter stipend for OTC medicine and free gym membership.
DannyDuberstein
AG
My parents used AARP United Healthcare. Got amazing coverage. Mom had ovarian cancer and died over the course of 3 years (surgery, chemo, multiple hospitalizations). Dad had multiple hospitalizations from strokes. They got top care and paid basically $0 out of pocket the whole time
AEP Ag
As someone who works (but doesn't sell) healthcare and health insurance I strongly recommend finding a third-part insurance agent you can trust to help walk you through Medicare + Supplements. It all depends on what you actually are paying for vs what you THINK you are paying for.

Plan F, Plan G, Plan N, Medicare Advantage, PPO, HMO... etc etc. The name of the insurance (BC/BS, Aetna, United) means much less than the actual policy.

It can be so confusing and complex I wouldn't even try to recommend a plan or company to you on TexAgs. Find a reputable agent and block out some extended time to get educated.

Also, be sure the medical services you are using are actually billing your Blue Cross plan correctly. It could be that Blue Cross is a great plan for you, but the services are not being billed in the correct order (Medicare 1st then BC/BS or vice versa) and so everything is being denied.

Lastly, be aware that it is also possible for your providers to be billing for services that are not covered by Medicare (T-codes are a good example). If so then no one is going to pay for those but you.

I know it is all too complex and much too hidden, but you really have to make yourself sit down and learn. You are the only person that cares about your money. Not any of the insurances, hospitals, billing teams, etc.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree 100%. That is how my parents found that AARP UH plan that was an absolute Godsend
PuryearFratDaddy
AG
My experience with working with family (I welcome corrections if am off) - To earlier point, find an agent you trust, unless they are captive, they will shop different Insurors.

Medicare supplements and advantage and Rx plans are very regulated, so one plan vs another should be almost equal (unless some offer additional benefits to differentiate). Plus premiums should be similar b/c those are regulated too. Lookup Medicare Rx 'donut hole', encourages member accountability and cost share (which see positives)…but just seems more annoying IMO than anything.

Difference can be in networks. BCBS is strongest though UHC, etc and even small ones you have never heard of, are surprisingly strong (probably b/c of Medicare accepted rates, this contracting). All carriers must have solid financial position and reserves (maybe a bond) for TDI, that encourages accountability for banks to perform and not bail later.

Lastly, good luck!!
OldArmyCT
AG
Man am I glad I finished 20 in the military, Tricare for Life is the best supplemental on the planet.
Jabin
As far as I know, all of the Medigap plans within a particular alphabet group (i.e., the "G" plans, or the "F" plans, etc.) are identical. Right now the G plan has the best coverage and is the most expensive (but not by much). The only distinctions between the plans within an alphabet group is pricing and customer service.

Medicare.gov has a great website in which you can pull of the plans available at your location and compare prices. There is no tool, of which I am aware, to compare customer service. You also cannot tell much from the names of the Medigap insurers because many of them are the big insurers doing business under Medicare under a different name. And, finally, to make it even more difficult, some of them use the same third party companies to service their insureds and their claims.

I ended up using a broker because it doesn't cost me anything, they know the customer service of the various companies, and they handle most of the paperwork involved in getting signed up or changing insurers.
IslandAg76
AG
Way more complex than it should be-almost as if by design to keep old people confused.

We have united Healthcare thru AARP-wide has significant health issues and they pay.

BUT-medicines are a different supplemental policy and (I think) you need to look at the drugs you regularly take and compare it to the formulary of the insurance company. I don't take many drugs and have Wellcare for the drug supplemental
ToddyHill
AG
I stand corrected.
woodyhayes
Humana or Cigna, but Humana seems a little better for all the more I've needed it so far.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Thanks everyone, very similar to the USAA thread. Seems we are trapped in a morass of different choices with all of them having the same outcomes.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
frankm01
I assume your BCBS Supplemental plan is either a G plan or N plan, as they are the most popular. All G or N plans are identical in your area and cover the same things regardless whether its with BCBS, UHC, or any other insurance company. If you want to change supplement insurance companies now, most states require you to go thru medical underwriting questions and as was mentioned in a post above, you may no longer qualify.

To further confuse the issue, there is a high deductible G plan that costs much less per month, but has a higher deductible before coverage starts.

As far as drugs are concerned, your G or N plan won't cover drugs. You need a Part D to cover prescription drugs.

If you need help, I'd suggest looking up Medicareschool.com and watching their videos. They really helped me understand this whole Medicare process that shouldn't be as hard and confusing as it is.

Good luck.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.