Business & Investing
Sponsored by

A question for this board

1,447 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by LMCane
herewegoagain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Assume you're 40 years old and have enough passive income to cover all your expenses (and retirement of course). You also have a family and children in school so traveling the world or something similar is not really possible.

How are you personally spending your time that feels both fun and also impactful to the world?

I know there will be some silly answers here, but I hope some of you will answer seriously because I value the hell out of many of you. Thanks in advance for anyone who answers!
Aglaw97
AG
A combination of the following:

1. Volunteering for a cause I'm passionate about. Feeding the spirit and soul are important regardless whether you are retired or not.
2. Consulting work in my field of practice. Want to keep your mind sharp.
3. Some writing - something I enjoy doing but don't have a lot of time for right now.
4. Improve my golf game.
5. Probably find a new hobby or two.

Regardless of when I retire I plan to stay active. The people who don't usually go downhill quickly. Gotta keep finding purpose in life.
cmk10
AG
Agree w your list, but your number 4 should be at the top of the list!!!
CS78
This is pretty much me. Except my monthly passive income is struggling to keep one nostril above water right now. Inflation eating into my rental income. Both on the business side and personal expenses.

To answer your question, I spend a lot of time on my smaller sized hunting properties doing habitat work between when the kids go to school at 8:00 and get home at 4:00. It's hunting property but I spend about 50 hours doing work for every 1 hour of hunting. Not exactly changing the world but I do see a lot of wildlife using the wetlands, ponds, and other things I've created. Pretty much all the raptors that migrate through Texas are seen at one time or another. Including bald eagles. Being outside working is therapeutic and good exercise. It improves the value of the property in case I decide to sell. And, I dont have to deal with a bunch of people.

Sometimes, Ill help some older retired friends with a manual labor project if they need it.

I also try to help the wife by doing things like the grocery shopping, starting dinner early, etc. so the kids are eating grilled fish and broccoli during the week instead of dino nuggets and mac n cheese.

Planting a garden is always rewarding in multiple ways.

A very important one for me is to try to get your to-dos done during the week so you can actually do stuff with the family on the weekend.
htxag09
AG
Aglaw97 said:

1. Volunteering for a cause I'm passionate about. Feeding the spirit and soul are important regardless whether you are retired or not.
3. Some writing - something I enjoy doing but don't have a lot of time for right now.
4. Improve my golf game.

Regardless of when I retire I plan to stay active. The people who don't usually go downhill quickly. Gotta keep finding purpose in life.
Issue with number 4 and 5 is they get expensive.....

So does the OP's "have enough passive income to cover all your expenses" account for an extra few grand a month in hobbies would be the question.
herewegoagain
Assume yes.
bagger05
AG
herewegoagain said:

Assume you're 40 years old and have enough passive income to cover all your expenses (and retirement of course). You also have a family and children in school so traveling the world or something similar is not really possible.

How are you personally spending your time that feels both fun and also impactful to the world?

I know there will be some silly answers here, but I hope some of you will answer seriously because I value the hell out of many of you. Thanks in advance for anyone who answers!
Generic advice: get a job.

I think people are their healthiest when they have responsibility. Imposing this on yourself without some kind of external motivator is VERY difficult. Most people I know can't do it. Even for entrepreneurs the risk, the upside of winning, and their clients and teams depending on them are important ingredients.

I think you need to have something that if you don't show up it matters. Where there are some short-term consequences if you don't show up. You can't just wake up one day and decide not to do it.

The fact that you've got financial freedom is awesome. You can find a job that you really like and not worry about whether or not it pays the bills. Work for a charity that can't afford to pay you much. Be a teacher. Be a coach. Run for office. If your kids are young enough then being a SAHD can probably check this box for a while.

I think volunteering is great but dangerous. Even if you don't need the money it's a lot easier to quit as a volunteer than it is to quit a job.

So I guess my answer is to define for yourself what you think is impactful, find someone who is doing important work in that area, and then go work for them.
NoahAg
herewegoagain said:

Why not? Sounds to me like the BEST time to take 6-12 months and travel with the family. How many and how old are the kids? I'd wager they would learn a great deal more seeing and experiencing the world (or traveling the US) than the will sitting in a classroom.

And if you're worried about traditional academics, there are so many resources and options you can take on the road.
Aglaw97
AG
htxag09 said:

Aglaw97 said:

4. Improve my golf game.

Issue with number 4 and 5 is they get expensive.....

So does the OP's "have enough passive income to cover all your expenses" account for an extra few grand a month in hobbies would be the question.
Fair enough and that's a personal question for everyone individually. You also have to make sure you have enough for health insurance and health issues.

I don't need enough to be able to globetrot without any concern....but I do want enough to enjoy retirement to the level I'd like.
RangerRick9211
AG
We're 36 and not quite FIRE. But we're downshifting to free-up time now with our daughter starting K this year.

We're hoping to coast and not touch anything until full RE (45-50). My wife has a great path to .5FTE (starts in Aug.) and her alone at .5 will cover 80% of our expenses. I'm the current breadwinner, and will probably stay put for another year, but I plan to go independent (currently in Big-4 M&A). I'm pretty cooked from the consulting / corporate grind, so I acknowledge some of this is reactionary, but we have **** money so let's go.

The "why":
  • Present for our daughter
  • We don't live near family and our parents are aging; more flexibility to visit
  • Hobbies / health: I only have so many more healthy knee years and you never get a pow day back; likewise for competitive bike racing - I have plenty of hobbies to keep me busy

We have a van coming in May and will be on the road most of the summer hitting all the Natty Parks, Forests and Wilderness areas on the west coast + BC.

I don't need a personal statement on this world. I just want to love and hang with my fam and spend a lot of time outside.
Hoyt Ag
AG
NoahAg said:

herewegoagain said:

Why not? Sounds to me like the BEST time to take 6-12 months and travel with the family. How many and how old are the kids? I'd wager they would learn a great deal more seeing and experiencing the world (or traveling the US) than the will sitting in a classroom.

And if you're worried about traditional academics, there are so many resources and options you can take on the road.
This. I travel a lot internationally and I meet tons of families that do this. There are avenues to make it work, you just have to research it. I see it all the time.

Or do a mix, the day school is out, take off and don't come back for a few months. Your kids will grow up appreciating so much by being well travelled. My dad had to take me with him when he went on business trips and I got to go to over 25 countries with him by the time I was 18. It was awesome.
LMCane
Substitute History Teacher

writing books

volunteer at religious community
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.