Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Seeing Beyond the "Price Stability" of Bitcoin

10,287 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Algorithmic Epiphany
Monywolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Finite supply. Unlike the depreciating dollars in your wallet. Don't buy bitcoin if you don't want to.
aTmAg
AG
Everything is finite supply. Yet there are plenty of things that are worth basically nothing. I think that someday BTC will be included in that set.
Monywolf
You will get it eventually. Until then, don't buy it.
aTmAg
AG
Monywolf said:

You will get it eventually. Until then, don't buy it.
I already get it. That's why i don't buy bitcoin. That's the point.
Adverse Event
aTmAg said:

Everything is in limited supply. Just because something is in limited supply doesn't mean it has value. There are more bitcoin than Theranos products ever produced. That doesn't mean buying either is a good idea.

Prove it. Prove right now the supply limit of whatever you're claiming. How many things can you confirm the supply at any given moment with 100% accuracy?
What bitcoin’s detractors don’t understand is monetary economics, computer science, software engineering, network protocols, and electrical systems.

It ain't much, but it's honest Proof of Work.
Heineken-Ashi
Adverse Event said:

aTmAg said:

Everything is in limited supply. Just because something is in limited supply doesn't mean it has value. There are more bitcoin than Theranos products ever produced. That doesn't mean buying either is a good idea.

Prove it. Prove right now the supply limit of whatever you're claiming. How many things can you confirm the supply at any given moment with 100% accuracy?

I can 100% confirm there is no supply of Aggie football hope.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
aTmAg
AG
Adverse Event said:

aTmAg said:

So you think that for me to "prove" the claim "there is a finite number of humans on Earth" that I have to specify exactly how many humans there are on Earth? Really?

That's not how it works.
Monywolf
There are those who own bitcoin, and those who will. But at a higher price.
LatinAggie1997
AG
aTmAg said:

Adverse Event said:

I don't really know how to talk to people who've been aware of bitcoin for a decade and still don't grasp it. I'm still trying, which says a lot. I admire Sisyphus, at least he doesn't have an option.
That's like saying, "I don't know how to talk to people who have been aware of flat earth for a decade and still don't grasp it." Bitcoin is not a complicated concept to grasp. Especially for a software engineer who used to specialize in cryptography. People like me don't disagree because we don't "grasp it" we disagree because we do grasp it.

Don't be like those conspiracy theorists who refuse to consider that perhaps they may actually be wrong.

Ok, so in terms of Michael Saylor's opinion and breakdown of Bitcoin, how does your differ??

You being a software engineer and he being a software engineer.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Monywolf said:

There are those who own bitcoin, and those who will. But at a higher price.

"Everyone buys Bitcoin at the price they deserve. "
LatinAggie1997
AG
https://finbold.com/4-5-trillion-fidelity-says-bitcoins-risk-reward-is-in-a-different-universe/
Adverse Event

In essence, when supply is not transparent or auditable, decision-making becomes more complex and often relies on a combination of indirect indicators, historical data, trust, and risk management strategies.
What bitcoin’s detractors don’t understand is monetary economics, computer science, software engineering, network protocols, and electrical systems.

aTmAg
AG
LatinAggie1997 said:

aTmAg said:

Adverse Event said:

I don't really know how to talk to people who've been aware of bitcoin for a decade and still don't grasp it. I'm still trying, which says a lot. I admire Sisyphus, at least he doesn't have an option.
That's like saying, "I don't know how to talk to people who have been aware of flat earth for a decade and still don't grasp it." Bitcoin is not a complicated concept to grasp. Especially for a software engineer who used to specialize in cryptography. People like me don't disagree because we don't "grasp it" we disagree because we do grasp it.

Don't be like those conspiracy theorists who refuse to consider that perhaps they may actually be wrong.

Ok, so in terms of Michael Saylor's opinion and breakdown of Bitcoin, how does your differ??

You being a software engineer and he being a software engineer.
Being a software engineer doesn't mean you also know economics. Just look at 90% of the staff at Google.

While being a SW engineer better enables one to understand the algorithm, that doesn't mean one understands the economics of why bitcoin fails as a currency.
aTmAg
AG
Adverse Event said:

In essence, when supply is not transparent or auditable, decision-making becomes more complex and often relies on a combination of indirect indicators, historical data, trust, and risk management strategies.
This is nonsense. You really think Apple knows the number of Android phones in the market at any given time? Hell no. The beauty of the free market and the price system is that nobody has to know any of that crap to evaluate supply and demand.

And to draw S/D curves as evidence that the supply of anything is infinite is even more nonsensical. The entire Earth is made of a finite number of atoms. The idea that the supply of any physical product can be infinite is facepalm worthy.
RockOn
aTmAg said:

Being a software engineer doesn't mean you also know economics. Just look at 90% of the staff at Google.

While being a SW engineer better enables one to understand the algorithm, that doesn't mean one understands the economics of why bitcoin fails as a currency.
I'm probably in a very small minority of people that hold degrees in both Economics and Computer Science. But that's about as far as I interject in these kind of discussions.
aTmAg
AG
RockOn said:

aTmAg said:

I'm probably in a very small minority of people that hold degrees in both Economics and Computer Science. But that's about as far as I interject in these kind of discussions.
Well, to be frank, the field of economics is so wide open that even that may not be enough. Unlike real sciences like Physics, where modern PhD's basically agree on 99% of their field and only disagree on the bleeding edges, economic PhDs disagree on 90% of their field. Look no farther than the Nobel Prize winners like Milton Friedman and Paul Krugman for a good example. I basically consider Keynesianism to be the alchemy of economics, so to me even that wouldn't count.
birdman
A bunch of typing to describe a non-productive asset.
Monywolf
birdman said:

That's the dollar.

And that's why many more companies will have bitcoin as part of their treasury holdings very soon.
Mas89
AG
one safe place said:

I found a bitcoin in the parking lot last week, guess someone didn't know they dropped it.
Maybe that's one of the ones my good friend lost. He talks about it often but I just don't really understand the conversation. I'll stick with what I do best.
aTmAg
AG
Monywolf said:

birdman said:

That's the dollar.

And that's why many more companies will have bitcoin as part of their treasury holdings very soon.
Not the smart ones.
Adverse Event
aTmAg said:

Monywolf said:

birdman said:

That's the dollar.

Not the smart ones.

Even Berkshire Hathaway's holdings are exposed to bitcoin, you know ol Rat poison?

Which of the smart companies are gonna be the strongest holdouts?

Adverse Event
The "smart companies" seem to neg bitcoin then invest hundreds of millions during the negative price actions

Is thus what you're really doing AtmAg? Nagging on bitcoin to affect price action so you can buy it cheaper?

Pretty unethical, I must say. Maybe deserves an investigation.

birdman
Adverse Event said:

aTmAg said:

Monywolf said:

birdman said:

That's the dollar.

Not the smart ones.

Even Berkshire Hathaway's holdings are exposed to bitcoin, you know ol Rat poison?

Which of the smart companies are gonna be the strongest holdouts?
Berkshire has over $300 billion in holdings. They obviously have indirect exposure to Bitcoin, along with every other thing on the planet.

BH owns zero bitcoins.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
https://www.forbes.com/sites/digital-assets/2023/10/13/warren-buffett-revealed-to-be-quietly-make-bank-from-bitcoin-and-crypto-amid-price-swings/amp/
Adverse Event
Wow best performing asset is the one that holds bitcoin.

Rat poison indeed.

Adverse Event
birdman
When you have to keep lying to pimp your product, you aren't fooling anyone.

Nubank has small percentage in crypto. BH invested in a growing bank that has 99% typical holdings.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Who is lying? I just posted an article from Forbes. The bank has 1% of their holdings in it. Buffet has invested 3/4 billion in the bank.
Adverse Event
birdman said:

Nubank has small percentage in crypto. BH invested in a growing bank that has 99% typical holdings.

Quote:

Nubank, the largest Brazilian digital bank by market value, is adding the option for customers to buy and sell bitcoin (BTC) and ether (ETH) on its platform, the company announced Wednesday.

Nu Holdings, Nubank's parent company, also said it is allocating roughly 1% of the cash on its balance sheet to bitcoin to show its belief in the cryptocurrency

Until now, Nubank allowed users to invest in crypto only through exchange-traded funds available through its investment unit, NuInvest, according to the company's website.

"There is no doubt that crypto is a growing trend in Latin America, one that we have been following closely and believe will have a transformational impact on the region. Yet the trading experience is still very niche as customers either lack information to feel confident to enter this new market or just get frustrated by complex experiences," Nubank CEO and co-founder David Vlez said in a statement.

Sounds very typical, having minimum of 1% of business treasury in the hardest asset, Bitcoin.

Monywolf
Adverse Event said:

birdman said:

Quote:

Nubank, the largest Brazilian digital bank by market value, is adding the option for customers to buy and sell bitcoin (BTC) and ether (ETH) on its platform, the company announced Wednesday.

Nu Holdings, Nubank's parent company, also said it is allocating roughly 1% of the cash on its balance sheet to bitcoin to show its belief in the cryptocurrency

Until now, Nubank allowed users to invest in crypto only through exchange-traded funds available through its investment unit, NuInvest, according to the company's website.

"There is no doubt that crypto is a growing trend in Latin America, one that we have been following closely and believe will have a transformational impact on the region. Yet the trading experience is still very niche as customers either lack information to feel confident to enter this new market or just get frustrated by complex experiences," Nubank CEO and co-founder David Vlez said in a statement.

Sounds very typical, having minimum of 1% of business treasury in the hardest asset, Bitcoin.
Indeed
Adverse Event
Thanks to Sam, more of the masses have been inoculated and generated a new immune response for future attacks.

Resilience is a virtue. Learning the hard way benefits everyone. Any other method of learning is a version of "the telephone game".

Also this:

Adverse Event
I wish I had a compilations of all of Atmag's and bmks and other middies historical quotes on the topic, unfortunate politics board autodeletes... so much ammo destroyed.

I guess my big question, for those with such certainty, when does bitcoin fail, 5 years? 20 years? 140 years? The instant quantum computing destroys sha-256 or all encryption?

What's the prognostication, what should we set a reminder on?

@NFLPlayerProps
Seems like a software engineer should understand what a breakthrough it was to finally solve the Byzantine Generals' Problem.
Adverse Event
@NFLPlayerProps said:

Seems like a software engineer should understand what a breakthrough it was to finally solve the Byzantine Generals' Problem.

If your mind isn't blown in some capacity because of bitcoin, I'd question its existence.

He plays a software engineer on tv.

p-townag
AG
Adverse Event said:

@NFLPlayerProps said:

If your mind isn't blown in some capacity because of bitcoin, I'd question its existence.

He plays a software engineer on tv.

Agreed. I totally understand thinking Bitcoin won't catch on or will get over regulated, etc. However, I completely don't understand those that don't get the value proposition of Bitcoin.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.