Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Pitfalls of Opening a Franchise Restaurant

16,622 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lb3
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's obvious exceptions, but I tend to lump the franchise sales in with people buying a business from someone:

If someone is wanting to shed it, there's typically a reason.

That's not to say they may just want out ASAP and you are right place right time, or that they are truly altruistic, or that you won't do a better job than they did thus it will be more profitable.

But the majority of the time you aren't buying into any real value. Doesn't mean you won't be successful, but rarely the turnkey profit centers that the sales pitch will make them out to be.
BizBroker97
AG
I'll start by saying my wife freaking loves Chicken Salad Chick. There's not one conveniently close to us, so she plans errands and other trips specifically around getting over there. I've never eaten there, so this is the extent of my personal knowledge of the restaurant, other than they seem to be popping up all over the place. So it very well may be a franchise with some staying power.

But as far as franchise restaurants go in general and whether or not they are good opportunities, I would advise your grandson to be VERY cautious about making this commitment for 3 reasons.

1. Based on my experience of selling businesses for nearly 20 years, most franchises are trash. The franchisor obviously started with a good business idea and built a successful operation, but the streets are littered with failed franchise concepts. Most of the time these franchisors become more interested in selling franchises, banking those initial fees and collecting monthly royalties than they do in the success of individual locations. It's a vicious cycle they fall into, where the allure of expansion blinds them to the struggles and problems at the store level. Remember, even when individual franchisees fail, the franchisor not only does not lose money, they are now free to sell that territory again. The house doesn't lose. There are obviously exceptions to this generality - there are some very good franchises out there, and there are also successful locations of "bad" franchises. But in my experience, the overwhelming majority of franchises don't meet the franchisees' expectations.

2. I tell business buyers this all the time when it comes to investing in franchises - if you don't have the liquidity sitting in your account today for the initial investment and operating capital for at least three locations, franchises aren't for you. It's rare for a single location of any franchise to generate the kind of cash flow most families need to survive. But if you can start one, work the kinks out, make it profitable and sustainable, then rinse a repeat a couple of times, you'll have built an actual "business" with operational efficiencies and best practices. Most buyers go into a franchise with the plan of expanding because they know one location won't cut it financially in the long run - but the biggest mistake most of these buyers make is expecting each new location to finance the opening of the next location. That rarely works out, which is why you have to go into the first location with the cash set aside already for your planned expansion.

3. Finally, even if you've addressed the first two hurdles above - if you don't have any restaurant experience, then stay the hell away from a franchise restaurant! We've all heard over and over that the restaurant business is the most difficult business to make it in - and there's a ton of truth to that statement. But buyers allow themselves to fall prey to the idea that a franchise eliminates the typical challenges that independent restaurants face, so it's "safe." That's just not true. It's still a restaurant and you still have no experience, regardless of what training and processes a franchisor might arm you with.

I'll reiterate, there are exceptions to every rule - there are some fantastic franchises out there that people have made millions of dollars owning and operating. But these are undoubtedly the exceptions.

Hope that helps ... happy to talk to your grandson if he wants to pick my brain.
jeremy@northstar-mergers.com
CapCity12thMan
AG
probably the best advice I could give is to ensure to him that choosing NOT to do this (if that ends up being his decision) should not come with any sense of failure. Psychologically you don't want him to think he failed by not taking a risk. It's a risk management decision.

Then you'll hear stories about wildly successful people who got into something, failed after three years, but "it was the best thing that could have happened", so it's a tough spot to be in for sure.
Mark Fairchild
AG
THANK YOU EVERYONE THAT RESPONDED! I was unhappy with this idea before, and after reading the responses I am now totally sick at my stomach!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
jetch17
AG
Someone franchise an actual decent texmex place in midland - even sh*tty Chuys rakes it in out there. I wish someone would put a ninfas/el tiempo/lupes out there. All the local places blow.

I would never go to a chicken salad place in that town.

All the local wives and fancy oil bois are all tearing up the C&P, cowboy prime, Pi Social spots
Hey Nav
AG
Just an FYI, but it looks like Roark Capital is buying Subway.

Start with a search of Focus Brands, and just see how many restaurant franchisees they have purchased, Roark seems to go after franchises in distress. They have been very successful.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/24/subway-sells-to-dunkin-owner-roark-capital.html?utm_source=join1440&utm_medium=email&utm_placement=newsletter
Harkrider 93
AG
So glad to hear that you are sick to your stomach!
As the waves roll, the eagle will fly to the setting sun.
Aggie09Derek
AG
jetch17 said:

Someone franchise an actual decent texmex place in midland - even sh*tty Chuys rakes it in out there. I wish someone would put a ninfas/el tiempo/lupes out there. All the local places blow.

All the local wives and fancy oil bois are all tearing up the C&P, cowboy prime, Pi Social spots

According to food board a poster said Midland has better Mexican than Houston
jetch17
AG
That is most definitely incorrect.
Halconblack
AG
Ill post my own anecdotal story that is not about a franchise but is about the restaurant business. I have a very good friend that owns commercial real estate around South Texas. One of his tenants started and ran a restaurant for about a year. They decided not to renew the lease and go back to accounting.

My friend decided it would be a great idea to simply rebrand and re-open because the business was essentially already in operation. They thought they would just hire a GM and sit back and rake it in. I told them they were out of their minds. They shut down the old restaurant for a month to rebrand and reopen. They went through three different GMs before the restaurant even opened.

When it did open they were packed. Their biggest issue was not being able to serve people food fast enough. This place also had an ABC license so they had the added revenue from alcohol. Six weeks into it though, the wife or husband was working the restaurant and every night and decide enough was enough. They shut it down.

This was a business that was turn-key. These were two capable adults doing it as a team. Like other's have said, be ready to work 363 days a year if you want it to work.
v/r
500,000ags
AG
When I see restaurants literally shut down for a month to give themselves and their employees a breather, I say to myself, "Yeah, that makes sense."
ChoppinDs40
AG
Franchises are scams. It's like a cult... more fun to be a member but way more lucrative to be the leader.

Franchisors RAKE it in and take way less risk on equipment, leases, etc. Just have to do it by the books.

As you said earlier... restaurants are tough. Theft, long hours, spoilage, low skill labor. The saying goes that every minute you aren't in the store is a minute you're being stolen from.

Absolutley no thanks. I do business and M&A advisory for a living and have never seen a restaurant franchise work out.
TxAG#2011
Why is the MIL pushing him to do this? What is her experience in anything restaurant related? Further, is she paying out of pocket for this at all?
mosdefn14
AG
A friend owns 4-5 CSC franchises in DFW. He doesn't seem too stressed. Puts new vehicles in service at the end of the year, so there's at least some earnings he's trying to shield. They're busy as heck. Labor is difficult. Landlords can be difficult.
jetch17
AG
DFW & MAF are probably wildly different in sustainability
one safe place
mosdefn14 said:

A friend owns 4-5 CSC franchises in DFW. He doesn't seem too stressed. Puts new vehicles in service at the end of the year, so there's at least some earnings he's trying to shield. They're busy as heck. Labor is difficult. Landlords can be difficult.
What connection with the vehicles and the franchises?
mosdefn14
AG
Income...deductions/ depreciation...just saying it appears profitable enough the CPA seems to recommend buying vehicles on new years eve.
JbKing45
Just open it west of there in orla, texas and they will be able to retire in 3 years.
one safe place
mosdefn14 said:

Income...deductions/ depreciation...just saying it appears profitable enough the CPA seems to recommend buying vehicles on new years eve.
Unless they are making deliveries, there will be little (if any) depreciation allowable for a regular vehicle.
Stat Monitor Repairman
TxAG#2011 said:

Why is the MIL pushing him to do this? What is her experience in anything restaurant related? Further, is she paying out of pocket for this at all?
jja79
AG
I'm not in Midland often but surely they have better places than he mentioned.
jetch17
AG
jja79 said:

I'm not in Midland often but surely they have better places than he mentioned.

There's not. From a franchise standpoint the Rosas & Jumburritos in town make hay in a town of vendors stroking off operators & field crews with breakfast & lunch spreads
OnlyForNow
AG
Bad idea for the location, unless you're willing excluded all oilfield workers. Not a horrible idea if you're near downtown or something I guess.

Local school here outside Houston had CSC cater a bunch of stuff once teachers were back before students. I'm sure others did the same thing.

Right area can probably make great money… but I don't think Midland is that area right now.

And what's special about C&P in midland? It's Texas Roadhouse/cheddars/etc with a different name.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It sounds like he's interested because of the low initial investment, but it's low because this business is doomed
one MEEN Ag
AG
Unless Chicken Salad Chick also sells drill collars, flanges, and copper kote they aren't gonna make it Midland.
Canyon99
jetch17 said:

How is Pi Social? They are opening a location in Fredericksburg right next to my family's franchise business.

Ghost of Bisbee
AG
CSC would fail everywhere except for millennial suburbia
txaggieacct85
AG
I suppose McDonalds is a big exception and a few others.

but generally agree.
texags79
Fredd said:

How is finding labor in midland? I've always thought it was tough because oilfield jobs pay much more $$
I've seen alot of good restaurants fail in Midland due to bad service. Its tough to find waiting staff out here
LMCane
EliteZags said:

I'm doing pretty well on my Split Pea Soup Brothers franchise
I would actually love such a restaurant
SW AG80
AG
JbKing45 said:

Just open it west of there in orla, texas and they will be able to retire in 3 years.

I agree with this, if he could find workers who can count to ten.
For anyone reading this who knows where Orla is, raise your hand!!
At one time, many decades ago, my grandmother was the District/County Clerk in that county.
And I like CSC. But not for Midland.
jja79
AG
Hand raised.
wtmartinaggie
AG

1) The concept is very organized at the corporate level and utilized a third part contractor to negotiate their procurement contracts. They push things down hard from corporate to the store level and there seemed to be a high degree of conflict between ownership and operators. When I see operators pushing back on their corporately agreed upon suppliers over markups and minimums, generally it means the business model is faltering. They negotiated great procurement deals but when the operators would rather go to Restaurant Depot or buy from someone without necessary food safety certs to save a few pennies, it's pretty telling.

2) Reading the tea leaves, their business seems to live and die on catering. Foot traffic was never super high, but they'd have large catering agreements that seemed to make or break them. I'd make sure to do a very good market analysis on catering capacity. That and proximity to a business lunch crown seems very important for the model to work.

3) Overall, they seem to be an underperforming emerging chain versus some of the other segments out there. Torchy's Tacos, Cava, and just about any of the BYO salad places for example, does very well in the markets I've seen compared to CSC.

I haven't seen the agreements or P&L, have a very limited insight into how their business actually functions, and AM NOT giving financial advice here. I don't have an adequate perspective to do so. Overall, on the surface I'm bearish.
SW AG80
AG
jja79 said:

Hand raised.

I knew I could count on you!
carl spacklers hat
Has anyone read the UFOC for CSC?

$50k Franchise Fee plus 5% of revenue sounds like its light on other financial obligations.

As has been stated, if you're buying a restaurant, you're buying a job if you want it to succeed. 80 hour work weeks are the norm. Always cracked me up when I heard people say they were ready to retire and open a restaurant. 15 years experience in F&B, Pappas restaurants then on own, including one franchise attempt, and I can say with certainty that it will be far more difficult than anyone is saying.

Best advice so far was for him to get a job at a local Midland fast food joint for a while and see how it goes before dropping cash at the urging of his MIL (not to mention the potential issues that can come up if/when the business doesn't succeed) so he'll open a franchise serving food she wants to eat.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.