Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Review of YieldMax ETFs

3,877 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by I bleed maroon
I bleed maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, I do a lot of buy/writes and covered call writing on long-term holdings, as a core of my investing philosophy. In essence, these YieldMax ETFs do this on a large scale, synthetically, and turn growth stocks into growth and income alternatives, due to their covered call writing strategies.

Here is their site and current offerings: https://www.yieldmaxetfs.com/

I've dabbled in a couple of their offerings (NVDY and TSLY), and am considering more. However, I don't fully understand their degree of correlation and decay characteristics over the long term (these are all basically brand new). Over their short term existence, they are fairly well directionally correlated, slightly underperforming on the upside, and slightly overperforming on the downside. I've noticed some beginning trends of decay versus the underlying stock emerging, but like I stated - it's still too early in their existence to evaluate.

Does anyone have any insights or further analysis on these hybrid ETFs? I think they could make sense for an income portion of a portfolio, but obviously have risks that typical high-dividend stocks do not. Any time synthetic instruments try to imitate something, there tends to be more risk and higher expenses associated with them.

Fire away!
texsn95
AG
Bump...anyone?
I bleed maroon
AG
Yeah - I guess this wasn't as exciting a topic as I thought it would be .

To add to my initial post, I paired a significantly out of the money protective long put with my TSLY buy. I bought the puts after a big runup, and they're up over 200% since purchase. I am trying to sell half, and riding with the rest. I figure this can counteract some of the decay, if I time it right. I'm even on TSLY capital gains wise, with 18.4% of my April purchase price received in dividends so far. Obviously, this trial has worked out, but it's a sample size of 1 - no real proof of the concept yet.

I have had an order in for the same strategy (buying puts after a run-up) on my NVDY buy, but they haven't executed yet (I repost the daily trade at or slightly below the bid).

Open to any and all ideas and feedback, including that I'm an idiot for investing in something I don't fully understand. I really am intrigued by the possibilities of these.
kyle field 94
AG
This is interesting but reading their website it says that (at least for xomo) that they dont own any shares of XOM.

So then what are they doing if not a traditional buy/write strategy?

Casey TableTennis
AG
I haven't looked at this particular set, but did look at AXS' when they came out last summer. I don't like the asymmetrical nature.

Use TSLA and TSLY as an example. How much upside has not been participated in YTD for the Yieldmax version? I would assume a lot given the positions would theoretically called away. If you are participating in the downside to some meaningful degree, that is a tradeoff I don't want, income can be created elsewhere more efficiently.

AXS has a TSLA bear strategy. Took a quick peek and it is hammered YTD.

Try to remember this when you see 1 yr and 3 yr tracks records of these pop up that look good. There were enough there will be big winners and massive losers. There will be massive survivorship bias that average investor is prone to fall victim too, unfortunately.

If you have a specific view on a specific stock, these can be a cost effective way to express that view, if it exists.
kyle field 94
AG
I bot a few TSLY and NVDY just to follow and see how they work and pay dividends and compare to the shares themselves

If they pay anything near their current distribution yield rates, then these are a homerun. Also less capital employed/risk to do buy/writes myself on big dollar stocks
I bleed maroon
AG
kyle field 94 said:

This is interesting but reading their website it says that (at least for xomo) that they dont own any shares of XOM.

So then what are they doing if not a traditional buy/write strategy?

It's definitely synthetic in construction. They likely have modeled combinations which imitate buy-writes, but with the added leverage of using options exclusively to boost income with lower capital costs. I believe there are certainly some "gotcha" scenarios that will expose their methods, but don't know what conditions will cause this to occur. Therefore, I am placing small bets on these instruments (covered somewhat by buying doomsday out-of-the-money puts, as I have noted) to learn more about how these critters will behave.
2wealfth Man
AG
Good interview with Yieldmax Founder here. I use it in small doses in conjunction with my long Tesla position to generate some yield while holding.

I bleed maroon
AG
That is a really good video! I figured most of this out intuitively, but several items jumped out at me:

- Treatment of Dividends: I somewhat overlooked the fact that option holders don't have a right to dividends, because TSLA and NVDA don't pay them. However, when they start adding AAPL, XOM, and others, this becomes a real factor. Intuitively, again, it's probably immaterial, as the option pricing adjusts based on inability to claim the dividend, but it's an interesting discussion if anyone has thoughts on it.

- Yield on Treasuries: I understand they have to maintain cash (in the form of Treasuries) as a maintenance reserve, but today's 5%+ yield actually benefits these investments by producing a baseline risk-free return, which is then probably totally offset (I kind of assume they re-invest this in their underlying investing strategy). Interesting.

- No leverage: I don't think I fully understood this - they are NOT using leverage, as other similar investments do. They are simply capturing volatility of the underlying stock, and have no leverage component (he stated 100% exposure - no more, no less). Intuitively, I feel like this should reduce decay vs. other similar instruments, but time will tell.

- Dividend Reinvestment: Another interesting angle I hadn't considered - you can use this as a way to build a growing portfolio of the underlying stock by reinvesting it either into the stock directly, or back into this fund. For someone who can't afford a large initial stake in something like TSLA, this might indeed be an economical way to build up to something sizeable.

- Cat: To the host - how hard is it to keep your cat in another room behind closed doors to avoid distraction during your video?

Bottom line, I think I like these more than I did before, and may continue to add holdings of non-dividend-paying high volatility stocks. Not sure yet about XOM, AAPL and the like.
I bleed maroon
AG
NOTE: ONLY for those who care, and have an attention span for detail (i.e. not for everyone):

OK - I have some empirical results to share, for what it's worth. To recap - I did a couple real-world small trades to see how these instruments perform. As I stated, I also (being a bit of a skeptic) bought puts on these, as a directional hedge (not perfect one-for-one match) to test those results as well. Here's what's happened (none of these numbers are annualized - they're actuals):

TSLY: Bought 100 shares 11 months ago. Bought two tranches of puts, which I'll only include as ancillary data. II let 100 shares get called away in November, so I had to estimate the dividend what-if #). Results:
  • TSLA stock has been on a roller-coaster since I purchased TSLY, but net gain is negative (3.1%)
  • TSLY 11-month gain/(loss) = (44.3%) loss - - these clearly have a time decay in a negative market (they already had a reverse split)
  • TSLY dividends = right around $1979 (estimated)
  • TSLY total return = 9.96% (including dividends)
Factoring in my TOTAL total return with some well-timed (read => likely non-replicable) put-buying, I am up 21.7% in 11 months. As TSLA volatility has decreased the past few months, my dividend rate has trailed off, so I believe the total return will scale down if current trends hold. At a recent pace of around 5% return, I'm less excited about the future in TSLY, but I am happy with the core total return of 9.96 vs. buying TSLA stock for a 3.1% loss.

NVDY: Bought 200 shares 9 months ago. I also bought puts (5/17/24 expiration) in November. Results:
  • NVDA stock = up 111.7% since my NVDY purchase date (spoiler - ain't nuthin' gonna top this result)
  • NVDY 9-month gain = 20.9%
  • NVDY dividends = $1815.64
  • NVDY total return = 59.4% (including dividends)
With the puts factored in (which are curiously down in value only 25%), my TOTAL total return is 56.6%. I do NOT think NVDA will replicate the past 9 months performance, so it will be interesting to see how NVDY behaves in a potentially flat-to-down market for the underlying stock. Obviously, I'm very happy with my 59.4% return, and I have no regrets about missing out on the NVDA return of almost double that (I'm sure I hold plenty of NVDA in my ETFs and mutual funds). As opposed to TSLY, the dividend payments have remained strong (and growing) as NVDA continues to be pretty volatile. Last month's actual dividend rate was by far the largest, at over 9%.

I'm drawing no real conclusions yet, as time will prove if these are a worthy way to participate in growth stocks with an income add-on. They may or may not be a good supplement to an in-retirement portfolio. I'll continue to investigate and report back.

If anyone is still reading and has questions, I'm happy to answer. This is kind of a fun research project for me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.