Business & Investing
Sponsored by

I bought some bitcoins. What do I do with them?

11,111 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Yukon Cornelius
Madagascar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jabin said:

If I wanted to become knowledgeable about bitcoin, what are the best single sources for information? By single source, I mean one source that provides complete knowledge. Books or links are both fine.

Lol it doesn't work like that. Part of owning Bitcoin means constantly increasing your knowledge about Bitcoin. It's a process not an event. There are plenty of resources out on the interwebs. You have to do your due diligence and look for them. Administrative errors used to post great sources all the time until he was essentially banned for trying to educate people about Bitcoin. Hence the reluctance of many to even answer your question.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Michael Saylor is a huge BTC cheerleader, but his videos are very informative.
Pepper Brooks
AG
My crash course recommendation to folks who're interested in learning more…

-Layered money
-The Bullish Case for Bitcoin
-The Bitcoin Standard

Read them in that order. After that, if you're still interested in the idea, go buy some BTC on strike and there are people here who can help you with a hardware wallet.
Algorithmic Epiphany
Jabin said:

If I wanted to become knowledgeable about bitcoin, what are the best single sources for information? By single source, I mean one source that provides complete knowledge. Books or links are both fine.

It's fascinating to see your progress on this enlightening journey into cryptocurrency and blockchain technology. Have you come across any new resources or materials that furthered your understanding? There's always more to explore in this ever-evolving landscape.

I'm curious about the steps you've taken in securing your investments. Have you considered hardware wallets or a SeedSigner for cold, long-term storage? These tools are essential for safeguarding your digital assets.

Remember, diving into the world of crypto is more than just a financial venture; it's an educational odyssey offering a unique perspective on technology, economics, and the future of finance. Keep embracing the learning curve!

---

**Follow-up Questions:**

Q1:Have you explored any specific online courses or books on cryptocurrency that you found particularly insightful?

Q2: In what ways has your understanding of bitcoin technology evolved since you started your journey?

Q3:How do you balance the excitement of new technology with the need for security in your bitcoin investment?
Pepper Brooks
AG
Here's another very interesting analysis. They backtest various BTC portfolio allocation %s and look at the impact those allocations would have had on a portfolio with 55% domestic equity, 35% fixed income, 10% commodity split.

They start the analysis after the 2017 bull run.

https://glxy.galaxy.com/hubfs/Asset%20Management%20Reports/GLXY_Whitepaper_Bitcoin%20in%20a%20Portfolio_2023.pdf
Algorithmic Epiphany
heavily intoxtricated said:

Adverse Event said:

I've been hesitant to get into any kind of crypto for years because I do not fully understand it. I don't understand what "mining" for crypto is. I don't totally understand how blockchain works, although I've read up on it quite a bit. I don't understand why any of this has a monetary value that can be quantified in U.S. currency. I don't understand why there are like ten thousand different cryptos you can buy or how any of them have value.

That being said , it seems like something I should at least have in my portfolio in some form or fashion. Not that I have a super complex portfolio, but I have some cash, some real estate, some equities, and part of a law firm, so I figured it made sense to just have some crypto in case…I don't know. In case it goes through the roof again I guess.

So I opened a Coinbase account the other day, wired in some money, and bought a few bitcoins. What are you guys doing with this stuff? Day trading it? Just holding it? What should I do with this asset (hopefully it ends up being an asset) that I just acquired?

Enjoying the run? I wonder what it's like to view a bull run with virgin eyes.

Looking back, I think when I made this post I hadn't actually bought all 5 bitcoins yet. Coinbase was limiting how l much I could purchase at one time and I was having to buy repeatedly in small increments. By the time I got that resolved with Coinbase and made a lump sum purchase of the remainder, it had dropped to about $26,000 or so, so my total basis in these 5 bitcoins is roughly 27,000.

My total gain at this moment is around $52,000. I don't need this money for anything else, but I'm having a hard time resisting the urge to lock in a $52,000 gain in less than 2 months and sit on the sidelines for a while. But I know I will be kicking myself if it goes up to $40,000 or higher. Tough decisions.

It's fascinating to observe investment trends, especially when you see your assets double in value. But here's a different perspective to consider:

When you look at the US Dollar's performance against the Turkish Lira, it's easy to think the Dollar is appreciating quickly. Yet, we all know that the Dollar hasn't really increased in value over the last decade. So, what's really happening is that the Dollar is just depreciating at a slower rate than the Lira.

This perspective is crucial when considering Bitcoin. Many see its price rising in US Dollars and think it's a straightforward appreciation. But it's more nuanced. The rise in Bitcoin's value could also be interpreted as the US Dollar's fall in value, when Bitcoin is the measuring stick.

So, if you wouldn't rush to exchange your Dollars for Lira just because the chart looks good, why rush to exchange your Bitcoin for Dollars? Both scenarios are about understanding the relative value and stability of the currencies in question. Keep this in mind when deciding whether to hold or sell your Bitcoin.

Made any decisions?
Pepper Brooks
AG
That's the most well reasoned and put together thought that I've seen from you in a hot minute. Well done.

Algorithmic Epiphany
You must have me confused for someone else.
Pepper Brooks
AG
NM
bmks270
AG
Algorithmic Epiphany said:

Adverse Event said:

I've been hesitant to get into any kind of crypto for years because I do not fully understand it. I don't understand what "mining" for crypto is. I don't totally understand how blockchain works, although I've read up on it quite a bit. I don't understand why any of this has a monetary value that can be quantified in U.S. currency. I don't understand why there are like ten thousand different cryptos you can buy or how any of them have value.

That being said , it seems like something I should at least have in my portfolio in some form or fashion. Not that I have a super complex portfolio, but I have some cash, some real estate, some equities, and part of a law firm, so I figured it made sense to just have some crypto in case…I don't know. In case it goes through the roof again I guess.

So I opened a Coinbase account the other day, wired in some money, and bought a few bitcoins. What are you guys doing with this stuff? Day trading it? Just holding it? What should I do with this asset (hopefully it ends up being an asset) that I just acquired?

Enjoying the run? I wonder what it's like to view a bull run with virgin eyes.

Looking back, I think when I made this post I hadn't actually bought all 5 bitcoins yet. Coinbase was limiting how l much I could purchase at one time and I was having to buy repeatedly in small increments. By the time I got that resolved with Coinbase and made a lump sum purchase of the remainder, it had dropped to about $26,000 or so, so my total basis in these 5 bitcoins is roughly 27,000.

My total gain at this moment is around $52,000. I don't need this money for anything else, but I'm having a hard time resisting the urge to lock in a $52,000 gain in less than 2 months and sit on the sidelines for a while. But I know I will be kicking myself if it goes up to $40,000 or higher. Tough decisions.

It's fascinating to observe investment trends, especially when you see your assets double in value. But here's a different perspective to consider:

When you look at the US Dollar's performance against the Turkish Lira, it's easy to think the Dollar is appreciating quickly. Yet, we all know that the Dollar hasn't really increased in value over the last decade. So, what's really happening is that the Dollar is just depreciating at a slower rate than the Lira.

This perspective is crucial when considering Bitcoin. Many see its price rising in US Dollars and think it's a straightforward appreciation. But it's more nuanced. The rise in Bitcoin's value could also be interpreted as the US Dollar's fall in value, when Bitcoin is the measuring stick.

So, if you wouldn't rush to exchange your Dollars for Lira just because the chart looks good, why rush to exchange your Bitcoin for Dollars? Both scenarios are about understanding the relative value and stability of the currencies in question. Keep this in mind when deciding whether to hold or sell your Bitcoin.

Made any decisions?

What about bitcoin price and USD relative to actual commodities?

That analysis will reveal that Bitcoin, not USD, is the more volatile "currency".
Pepper Brooks
AG
One could argue that bitcoin being 13 years old is relevant in that comparison. People/financial markets have had thousands of years to decide how they feel about gold, hundreds of years for the USD, etc.

A more accurate comparison would be to compare vol of the USD in its early years vs BTC given the above. I'm not sure we have the data to do either study but reading the history of money and the US financial system back in the 1800s suggests it was anything but stable.

I can't say the volatility is similar or different but your comparing grapes to raisins.
ac04
the thing about volatility is that it's really good for your portfolio over the long term when the vast majority of it is to the upside.
Algorithmic Epiphany

I don't think it's the rarest thing on the planet. I made an account in 2 minutes and bought $150k of it.

Are you saying maybe I should sell?

Bull season is almost as fun as bear season.
heavily intoxtricated
Still just holding.
Algorithmic Epiphany

Still just holding.

AggieMainland
This thread will be very fun when bitcoin is at $100k-$150k. Decisions will need to be made.
Algorithmic Epiphany
AggieMainland said:

This thread will be very fun when bitcoin is at $500k-$2.5M. Decisions will need to be made.

At some point the dollar becomes irrelevant to the price.
carl spacklers hat
AggieMainland said:

This thread will be very fun when bitcoin is at $100k-$150k. Decisions will need to be made.
Cover your initial investment then ride the wave?
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
p-townag
AG
You don't sell the strong asset to gain more of the weaker asset.

People buying dollars with the Turkish Lira don't hold their dollars and see it appreciate in Liras per dollar only to then sell their dollars to get more Turkish Lira.

In the same way, it's foolish to buy Bitcoin with dollars, then watch the value of Bitcoin rise compared to the dollar, then sell the Bitcoin for more dollars. Instead, just keep buying Bitcoin, the alpha asset.
Diggity
AG
This probably sounded better in your head
Quacked
Love HIVE as a BTC mine play. 24% run up with BTC this past week.
Algorithmic Epiphany
Diggity said:

This probably sounded better in your head

In a future where Bitcoin surpasses the $1 million mark, the traditional reference point of the dollar to Bitcoin may become obsolete. In such a scenario, it's likely that we'll shift to a new metric for valuing a Satoshi. This change will signify not just a financial evolution, but a paradigm shift in how we perceive and measure value in the digital currency space.

If fiat currencies become obsolete as a reference point for Bitcoin valuation, the world may turn to alternative methods to determine its value. Here are some potential references that could be used:

1. **Commodity Basket:** Bitcoin could be valued against a basket of commodities like gold, silver, oil, and agricultural products. This would provide a more stable and tangible measure of value, reflecting real-world assets.

2. **Energy Units:** Given Bitcoin's relationship with energy consumption, valuing it in terms of kilowatt-hours or other energy units could be a logical approach. This would link Bitcoin's value directly to the energy required to produce it.

3. **Global Price Index:** A new global price index could emerge, comprising a mix of various goods and services from different countries, providing a more comprehensive and diversified valuation basis.

4. **Digital Goods and Services:** As the digital economy grows, Bitcoin might be valued against a basket of digital goods and services, like cloud storage space, streaming services, or exclusive digital content.

5. **Cryptocurrency Index:** Bitcoin's value could be determined relative to a basket of other cryptocurrencies, weighted by market capitalization or other factors, reflecting its position in the broader digital currency ecosystem.

6. **Real Estate or Land Value:** Valuing Bitcoin against real estate or land could provide a concrete reference, linking it to a universally recognized and valuable asset.

7. **Precious Metals:** Similar to the gold standard, Bitcoin could be pegged to the value of precious metals like gold or platinum, offering a historically recognized store of value.

8. **Global GDP or Economic Output:** Bitcoin could also be measured against global GDP or the total economic output of nations, reflecting its value in the context of global economic activity.

Each of these references offers a unique way to understand Bitcoin's value outside the traditional fiat currency system, reflecting its multifaceted nature and the evolving global economy.

Who knows though, amirite?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Don't even want to imagine what BTC @ $1,000,000 would do to inflation.
jagvocate
AG
Inflation is your dollar getting "smaller." It takes more of them to measure 1 Bitcoin if you will.
Algorithmic Epiphany

Still just holding.

Coming back for a sanity check. How's the ego? You doin well? Feeling like you made the most asymmetric bet of your lifetime?

How can I be of assistance?
Yukon Cornelius
AG
The bitcoin (gold) rush started a month ago and will last a decade. You're all early.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.