Business & Investing
Sponsored by

I bought some bitcoins. What do I do with them?

11,106 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Yukon Cornelius
heavily intoxtricated
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been hesitant to get into any kind of crypto for years because I do not fully understand it. I don't understand what "mining" for crypto is. I don't totally understand how blockchain works, although I've read up on it quite a bit. I don't understand why any of this has a monetary value that can be quantified in U.S. currency. I don't understand why there are like ten thousand different cryptos you can buy or how any of them have value.

That being said , it seems like something I should at least have in my portfolio in some form or fashion. Not that I have a super complex portfolio, but I have some cash, some real estate, some equities, and part of a law firm, so I figured it made sense to just have some crypto in case…I don't know. In case it goes through the roof again I guess.

So I opened a Coinbase account the other day, wired in some money, and bought a few bitcoins. What are you guys doing with this stuff? Day trading it? Just holding it? What should I do with this asset (hopefully it ends up being an asset) that I just acquired?
tgivaughn
AG
As for me, if these were a gift, would cash them in ASAP via Paypal, etc.
Yes, you can transfer cryptocurrency into and out of PayPal. Learn how to initiate a transfer by reviewing instructions here.
http://rb.gy/hs5ie
Buy and Sell Cryptocurrency | PayPal US
[url=https://www.paypal.com/us/digital-wallet/manage-money/crypto#:~:text=Yes%2C%20you%20can%20transfer%20cryptocurrency,transfer%20by%20reviewing%20instructions%20here.][/url]

Hoping to see what happened here
https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/3391062/replies/65346310
IMHO and am sticking to it
txaggieacct85
AG
I hope you didn't spend too much $ on something you don't understand
Dill-Ag13
AG
heavily intoxtricated said:

I've been hesitant to get into any kind of crypto for years because I do not fully understand it. I don't understand what "mining" for crypto is. I don't totally understand how blockchain works, although I've read up on it quite a bit. I don't understand why any of this has a monetary value that can be quantified in U.S. currency. I don't understand why there are like ten thousand different cryptos you can buy or how any of them have value.

That being said , it seems like something I should at least have in my portfolio in some form or fashion. Not that I have a super complex portfolio, but I have some cash, some real estate, some equities, and part of a law firm, so I figured it made sense to just have some crypto in case…I don't know. In case it goes through the roof again I guess.

So I opened a Coinbase account the other day, wired in some money, and bought a few bitcoins. What are you guys doing with this stuff? Day trading it? Just holding it? What should I do with this asset (hopefully it ends up being an asset) that I just acquired?
username mostly checks out
Stat Monitor Repairman
You talkin' whole bitcoins here?
heavily intoxtricated
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Yeah, on Coinbase I could either do it by dollars spent or bitcoins purchased. I just went with a round number and got 5 BTC. I guess I will just hold them for now. With my luck, all crypto will probably crash tomorrow and never come back.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Rule 1 should be invoked when bragging about dropping $150k on something you're uneducated about
Adverse Event

Yeah, on Coinbase I could either do it by dollars spent or bitcoins purchased. I just went with a round number and got 5 BTC. I guess I will just hold them for now. With my luck, all crypto will probably crash tomorrow and never come back.

Firstly, you're a ballsy muffakka.

Secondly, I don't trade nor recommend it. Coinbase encourages trading. Overall answer. Depends on your intent.
What bitcoin’s detractors don’t understand is monetary economics, computer science, software engineering, network protocols, and electrical systems.

It ain't much, but it's honest Proof of Work.
TxAG#2011
Just leave em on coinbase and make sure you have 2FA setup and all other security measures.

I keep a fair amount on there with no issues.

As for what to do? Sell em for 80k apiece in a couple years
Ag92NGranbury
AG
pretty sure that OP is not buffett
JSKolache
AG
Madagascar
AG
I'll hold on to them for you.
South Platte
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

What should I do with this asset that I just acquired?
Yeah man, you might think about going cold iron on 4.0 of those bitcoins. Research cold wallets. Have a back up and a backup for that backup at different locations and not think about it.

Then I might leave 1.0 on coin base and like the dude said above, have that locked down tighter than dicks hatband with 2FA and whatever else they got. Then I'd sleep pretty good at night. You sound like you doing as good as you can do.

So I'd lock those down and not mess around with it. You buying yourself some peace of mind.

I've had good luck with the philosophy that two is one, and one is none.

So you looking for a back up for your back up.

Boat starts to sink and you got a couple of different lifeboats already in the water, and you counting on at least one of those is gonna float.
txaggieacct85
AG
Then go to work and save
YouBet
AG

I think you are full of ***** However, if you are not, you need to get that off Coinbase post haste and get you your own wallet and keys.
heavily intoxtricated
YouBet said:

I think you are full of ***** However, if you are not, you need to get that off Coinbase post haste and get you your own wallet and keys.

Why? Seriously, educate me. I have a Schwab account that holds stocks. Why can't I just keep a Coinbase account that holds bitcoins?
XpressAg09
AG

Why? Seriously, educate me. I have a Schwab account that holds stocks. Why can't I just keep a Coinbase account that holds bitcoins?

Not your keys, not your coins.
Win At Life
AG

YouBet said:

You telling me you trust whoever is managing Coinbase equal with whoever is managing Schwab? I don't own any crypto but even I've read enough to know you should keep them on your own wallet with your own keys. I forget all the reasons at the moment, but remember this would be my method if I ever did own Bitcoin.

And, yes, there's nothing more to do with it for the foreseeable future, but to hold it and hope. In the future it may become more widespread to use it as an actual currency for purchases, but that's debated.
TxAG#2011
Antiquated thinking in here. With proper security precautions leaving crypto on coinbase is fine. It has a vault feature which requires quite a few authentication methods to unwind.

There's more risk removing from an exchange in the transfer not to mention you have to have the keys written down somewhere. Taxes also more practical leaving them on an exchange and it's entirely possible you receive scrutiny removing that amount of money from an exchange.

There's not much privacy on an open source ledger these days, they're caught up and tracking everything.
YouBet
AG
TxAG#2011 said:

Antiquated thinking in here. With proper security precautions leaving crypto on coinbase is fine. It has a vault feature which requires quite a few authentication methods to unwind.

There's more risk removing from an exchange in the transfer not to mention you have to have the keys written down somewhere. Taxes also more practical leaving them on an exchange and it's entirely possible you receive scrutiny removing that amount of money from an exchange.

There's not much privacy on an open source ledger these days, they're caught up and tracking everything.
Well, I have no intention of selling my BTC so the tax practicality is moot for me. I buy and hold on my wallet. It sits there and collects virtual dust.
Adverse Event
TxAG#2011 said:

Executive order 6102.
What bitcoin’s detractors don’t understand is monetary economics, computer science, software engineering, network protocols, and electrical systems.

Adverse Event

heavily intoxtricated
Adverse Event said:

Yes, I know.
Adverse Event
Find your zen. Hodl.

Adverse Event

YouBet
AG
Good post.
Adverse Event

Papa Joe
AG
I just moved my bitcoin from coinbase to Fidelity crypto account.

Is Fidelity any safer than coinbase?

I know, not your keys not your crypto. Its easier for me to transact with Fidelity than managing keys, passwords and cold wallets.
Tomdoss92
AG
Look I know you are just getting your feet wet and people are going to try and make fun/give bad advice.

But, I will give you this entire lot for your 5 BTC because I like the cut of your jib.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
I think OP also used to play guitar with SRV.
JustPanda
AG
You called the crash.
heavily intoxtricated
JustPanda said:

You called the crash.

It never fails. It's actually amazing I still have any money.
wessimo
AG
Username checks out.
TxAG#2011
Papa Joe said:

I just moved my bitcoin from coinbase to Fidelity crypto account.

Is Fidelity any safer than coinbase?

I know, not your keys not your crypto. Its easier for me to transact with Fidelity than managing keys, passwords and cold wallets.
Honestly, probably not. Fidelity is new in the space, and Coinbase is tried and tenured by now. I have Cryp on Fidelity but not really worried about it.

The liquidity on Fidelity is **** though so limit orders only. Found that out the hard way.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.