Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Do you own/run a business?

6,585 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by austinrb10
SmoothRuckus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do you own/run a business/company?

If so:

1) What is it; what do you do?

2) How large is it?

3) How long ago did you start?

4) Have you found the success you hoped for when you started?

5) If you could go back, would you do it again?

Also open to those who have started/run their own business in the past. As much detail as you are comfortable with - I think this would give some good perspective for those of us who are considering this path in the future.

TIA
BO297
I started my first business at 27 years old (im 40 now).

I had a partner at the time. We made it 3 years with what I considered a fairly successful and growing business. At the three year mark, my partner and I decided to go our separate ways. I learned more in this three year period then I ever will again in my life.

I took the money from that business and started another business 10 years ago. I had a full time job for the first five years and let my business grow to a point that it made enough to support my lifestyle as well as have some left over to grow. My business requires a lot of capital, and I do not like debt. Therefore I spent those first five years growing out of cash flow.

My business is what most people would consider a small business. I would not have it any other way. I love what I do. I create my own life without relying on anyone else. I NOW have a comfortable schedule that allows travel, friends, and family, but I sacrificed a lot in my 20's and 30's to get here.

My recomendations are no partners and a minimum amount of debt until you are established. I have now taken on debt and it has allowed me to grow in ways I never imagined, but I also have staying power now that I did not have before. Just my .02

Harkrider 93
AG
I feel I qualify under this, but some may argue differently.

I work for Edward Jones as a Financial Advisor. IMO, it is most like a franchise.

I started in 2002 and have a large enough practice to where I don't have to actively seek new clients.

1st 3 yrs are tough and you aren't real sure if you will make it or not. There are a lot of hours and even more stress.

Years 3-6, you have light at the end of the tunnel.

At 10+yrs, you wonder why you didn't do this earlier.

I would go back and do this again.

I work with a lot of small business owners. They all have very similar stories. Very tough in the beginning and glad they do it now. Some do have some cyclical aspects to it (construction).
Up&ComingAg03
AG
I have had my own business for nearly the last 7 years. I would agree with the above poster that I'm finally able to enjoy a flexible lifestyle and call my own shots, within reason on a day to day basis, after many years of putting in late nights and long days. I think this happened for me because I was finally able to go from essentially being self-employed to being a business owner. It's important to really know the difference between the two.

My experience was a little opposite of the above poster. I was solo for about the first 1 1/2 years and brought on a partner who happened to be a good friend of mine in the industry, who had a complimentary personality and skill set to mine. It was shortly after that point that we were able to divide and conquer and really transform our situation from the self-employed variety into a business that now has 7 employees, aside from my partner and myself.

I'd never recommend someone to take on or not take on a partner, because it's certainly a case by case basis. However I would stress how important it is to really be honest about yourself and any of your strengths and weaknesses and really try to find a partner that would compliment those if you went that route. A partnership is something to be taken about as seriously as marriage, although some people don't get that serious about it. If you choose the right partner it can be very beneficial in growth of a business such as mine, which is very knowledge intensive, as opposed to being something along the lines of manufacturing, etc. We are both able to take time off every now and then and completely step away from things, like leaving cell phones and computers behind, knowing that there is still someone to manage the typical day to day activities, I could have never done that when I was by myself.

We are definitely what would be called a small business and don't have any plans to grow out of what people would consider a small business. One of our goals with the business has always been to provide a "lifestyle" for ourselves and the guys that work for us. Everyone has the flexibility to set their own schedules and spend as much or as little time with their families (I don't judge either way, haha) as they'd like to. I have 3 young kids (5, 4 and 2) and I wouldn't trade the flexibility of being able to be at their events or help my wife out from time to time for an hour here or there for anything.

I always get excited when I meet other business owners because it's definitely a little bit of a different mentality within the group. It's certainly not a one size fits all answer as to how to start, grow or change a business, but the more business owners you network with and ask questions of, like you're doing, the better.

Starting any business is very challenging at times, but very rewarding.....sometimes in ways you don't even realize until later down the road. With that being said, it's not for everyone. It's important to have a little self reflection before jumping into it. My Dad, an Aggie also, has had a nice career, financially and happiness wise, as an employee his entire life. He is a Mechanical Engineer and that's what he always wanted to be. Although he manages people, he never had a desire to start his own business from scratch and take away from the engineering aspect that he enjoys.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
ukbb2003
If there is anyone who has purchased an already established business, I would like to hear their story as well. I would be interested to see any differences in challenges faced.
WestTexAG
AG
quote:
If there is anyone who has purchased an already established business, I would like to hear their story as well. I would be interested to see any differences in challenges faced.

My partners and I purchased a civil construction company from a longtime friend of ours who needed to decrease his risk exposure as far as trucks on the highway. It's been a great deal, but there are definitely culture shocks to our employees because of the different stage in life we are compared to the previous owner. We spend a huge amount of time fighting this battle, and we grossly underestimated that piece of the puzzle. All in all its been a great deal though.
Jackass2004
AG
Yes, I do IT consulting and services. I do not resell licenses, equipment or my own product.

My company is small; sole shareholder and currently only subcontract when needed. I have ambitions to grow but that is another obstacle I'm trying to figure out. I need to figure out how to obtain larger pipelines or larger deals and yet find talent that can support this.

My revenue streams are not significant to some businesses but they are far greater than working for the man.

My business is 2 years old and is based in Texas.

It is challenging, there are facades that I did not consider but I have learned quite a bit.

Initially, cutting out middle men and companies was obvious but the process of doing that was different than I thought.

The best feeling I've had is being offered to be bought out. That's the power of owning a business.

I would recommend this to people but most people can't do it. People still can't do it when money is on the table.
My 2 cents.
AAM02
AG
I'll play.

I'm presently a sole-proprietor. I develop narratives and empower future generations of both families and businesses. http://www.StoryKeeping.com is me.

2) How large is it?

Just me, though if pace continues I'll be looking for help with video editing and then eventually some project manager/sales types.

Just celebrated 6 years last month.

When I first started I was delusional and expected people to beat my door down. I'd put StoryKeeping on the back burner for a long time while I helped run the SA A&M Club, but I'm retired from that at the end of 2014 and business is now rockin'. My hours have filled up fast, so if I am going to achieve my long-term goals I need to start delegating soon.

Definitely. I always knew I wanted to do my own thing. I enjoy the ability to fashion my own work week. But I've also worked 'til 1 a.m. the past three nights, which is kind of ridiculous. If I wasn't doing StoryKeeping I'd probably figure out something else to do for myself, but witnessing the impact my service has on families is something I don't intend to hang up any time soon.
MPython43
I started a home service company 6 months after graduating from A&M with very little knowledge about the industry, but convinced that I could out-customer service the competition and be successful in spite my technical novicehood.

There were a few very lean years subsidized by my wife's income and around year 4 I had a strong enough base as a one man company to prove sustainable.

We will hit 10 years old in 2016, which is nuts since I'm only 32. I just hired my 9th technician and I feel like we are really just hitting our stride. I could absolutely see us doubling or tripling in size over the next 5-10 years, and my objective is to become the major player in my market with the possibility of expanding into either more home services or more markets.

It's absolutely been a grind. Many years of working more hours per day than not working, but I've finally matured to a stage where I don't let myself work on the weekends and I don't check emails or work related messages once I'm home for the night. Vacations of more than a 4 day weekend are not a reality yet. Having said that, the financial rewards make it worth it.

I have already found more success in my early 30s than I anticipated finding one day in general, and I try to preach to every 22 year old kid I can that they need to find a niche and go for it before they actually gain things to lose. You can always get a "normal" job a few years down the line if your idea doesn't prove fruitful. I also think it's important that they know they aren't too good for anything. I spent 7 years coming home a sweaty, and often disgusting, mess and I now bring home more money than my dad the dentist does. There are lots of ways to make a buck, so don't discount any of them.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.
SmoothRuckus
AG
Keep it going - this is great stuff! I'm sure I'm not the only one enjoying reading through these.

MPython43, good story. I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind me asking. If ok by you, please share your email as I don't think we can PM.

TIA
MPython43
Hal at patriotpoolandspa.com
Jackass2004
AG
Also don't get discouraged. This is my third attempt at doing my own business and each time I've gotten further along and more successful. This time I believe it's going to work out.

Don't get caught up in the media with glamour and instant success. Remember, people can make a fortune doing unspectacular things. You don't have to come up with some unique gimmick.
Post removed:
by user
TKEAg04
AG
quote:
Thanks for sharing. I'm an employee (project engineer) getting paid $200K/year with great benefits and a flexible schedule. My job is interesting and well-paying, but I have always wondered about starting my own business. I like hearing these success stories and they motivate me to challenge my comfort zone, Great stories; keep them coming.
I'm just about exactly the same. I have worked on some of the biggest and most complex engineering projects in the world, but there has always been something nagging at me about owning my own business. This is a great thread!
ukbb2003
Really appreciate the comments as well; especially about not getting discouraged. I have already failed once at a franchise a lost quite a bit of money. I have a well-paying job now, but just not getting the satisfaction I am looking for. I would like to take another stab at it but I am nervous about doing so. I just really want the flexible schedule. I couldn't care less about making tons of money; just want to be comfortable and provide for the family.
Rebar
AG
I am on company #4. Started #1, 2, and 4. #3 was a startup I joined. A few lessons I have learned. (TL/DR warning)

1. Failing is inevitable. Whether it is big or small, you are going to fail. If you don't, you aren't pushing the envelope near enough. Question is, what do you do when it happens? On my first company we were experiencing great growth but I got too invested in one customer. Let them float some large accounts receivables then they wemt under. We didn't have the cash reserves to weather the storm. Which leads to point 2.

2. Learn how to pivot - Started company #2 with additional partners helping companies avoid the mistake we made in company #1. Amazing how fast you can grow when you help others avoid the dumb things you have done. Key is to find a "need" or a "problem" whether existing or potential, then becoming the trusted solution. Doesn't matter whether it is cleaning someone's pool or advising on international business expansion.

3. Embrace the word "can't" - You are going to hear that word 24/7. "You can't do that", "It can't be done", "I can't" etc. The world is comfortable in a rut of complacency. If you are going to be an entrepreneur, you have to having a burning hatred for "the norm" because you will only be successful if you rise above that rut. Push yourself and others to achieve greater than what they believe is possible and be shocked at the results. Society as a whole sets far too low a bar on what can be achieved.

4. Network like crazy - It is a fundamental key to success

5. Don't rely on others for your success - There are 1,000 reasons why you will fail, the actions (or lack thereof) of other people are #1-990. YOU are responsible for success or failure if you are going to be an entrepreneur, even if that means that YOU have to influence or affect the actions of others vs simply being dependent on them.

6. Know your numbers - Having been through 4 companies I can't stress this enough. You better know exactly how much things cost, breakeven numbers, debt service numbers, cost of customers, etc down cold. Learned that lesson the hard way in company #1.

7. Lose the romantic idea of flexible schedules - Can you get to that? Yes. Same as I could theoretically get to compete in Mr. Universe. You are going to jump into a deep end of the pool with no floaties and no "8-5". Anyone who has started a new business will tell you that the first several (3, 5, 10 who knows) years will be insane. Just realize what you are actually getting into.

8. If you see something that is going to change the world, stop and get involved. I was sitting on a board and saw a pitch on a new startup with unbelievable technology, mind-bending world changing stuff. 25 folks saw the same pitch and everyone said (me included) it was too good to be true. Of the 25, I was the only one to actually dig deeper and learned it actually was true. Sold off (literally gave away to partners) my interest in other companies to get involved. 2 years later company #3 is having exponential growth with multiple global partners and I got to start company #4 as a spinoff of company #3.

There are no standards or limits on what you can achieve. Find a problem, figure out a solution, then help others. Surround yourself with people smarter than you (incredibly easy in my case). Learn to redefine "can't", embrace "pivot", obsess over your numbers, then go change the world. Fun stuff if you can handle it.
sam88
AG
Hey Jackass2004, would you mind shooting me an e-mail? I'm at bmtex1 at gmail, and have a quick question for you.
GEA89
AG
I run our family business, a land surveying firm in Stafford, TX. My father started it in 1972 and he tried to get me to come to work there when I graduated from A&M. I refused citing that I wanted to establish myself first and do my own thing but as he has gotten older I saw him struggling with giving it up so I came in and I have been running things for 12 years. The sad thing is that we are in this downturn in the economy which really affects us as we are mostly oil and gas based in our clients. As they have slowed so have we so I am busting my backside trying to diversify and get us in to more construction projects. We laid out on the ground the Toyota Center in Houston many years ago but the construction companies are hiring their own surveyors, at least the ones we had worked with, and we as a small business are being pushed out. Just like everyone, we fight for our margins and have to be extremely competitive and thus makes it hard to grow your business in these times.

Last week my Dad said he just wanted to sell it, not sure what I will do if he decides that. He could use the money for his retirement and he started it so I cannot blame him if his heart isn't in it anymore. I am not a registered surveyor as I primarily just run the business. Who knows what my future holds if he decides that, we will see. For now we are busting ourselves for our clients and fighting hard in this tough economic climate.

20 employees
Started in 1972, I joined in 2003
Not sure if I would do it again, the stress levels are pretty high

TxAg20
AG
Permian Basin E&P Co.

2) How large is it?
15 employees. ~$60 million in 2014 capex. EBITDA swings significantly as we're still growing rapidly which raises earnings, but commodity prices are down significantly from 2014.

October 2007

I'm not ready to take my foot off the gas, but I'm very happy with where the business is at today.

Yes and no. If I were 23 years old again and in the same place, I'd do it mostly the same.

If I sold out today, I wouldn't do it again. I don't regret going out on my own, but I did it before having a wife or kids. The first 3 years was an absolutely brutal workload. I don't think I have the discipline or work ethic to repeat those first 3 years. It's also a risky business and if I were to sell, my focus would be protecting what I've accumulated instead of continuing to take risks to grow.
aggie_wes
AG
great thread. keep 'em coming
Finding X
Yes, I have had many businesses over the past 25 years. Failed at most of them and finally hit on a winner 15 years ago. Rode that wave for 10 years and then sold it to buy the current businesses.

Mathnasium Learning Centers
Specialized SEM business for Mathnasium Franchisee's

2) How large is it?
2 locations and 26 employees, getting ready to purchase a third location.
SEM Biz is 0 employees - 0 Overhead - 180 clients - 100% Profit margin!

Mathnasium - 4 years ago
SEM - 3 years ago

I wanted to be a business owner since I was 14. I hung around other business owners as much as I could and was fortunate to be able to spend time with 4 individuals that made more than a million per year profit. I learned a LOT. I learned to embrace success and failure. Appreciate both and pay special attention to failure because that is class time!
The main nugget I learned before I was 20 was to be content and happy where you are - but never satisfied! Always push yourself to be better and to grow. Praise and assist as many people as you can even when it's not convenient. Get a GREAT attitude and be able to laugh at yourself. And be ambitious!

Have I found success? Yes. Everyday!

I would, but If I could tell myself one thing, it was be to relax and don't stress about the details, they have a way of working themselves out.
ukbb2003
Wanted to bump this to see if anyone else wanted to share.
uneedastraw
-Operated a small consulting firm that provided due diligence services to commercial lenders
-Started when I was 26 years old with a business partner. Business evolved over time but never could get it to where I wanted....going from 2 guys and a couple of computers to 8 employees in several markets with customer base including large national lenders with highest yearly revenues close to $2 million, back to 2 guys and a couple of computers...to myself acting as an independent contract subbing out extra work.
-Started in 1999....ended it in February 2015 and I went back to the corporate world after 16 + years of working for myself.
-If I could go back and do it again, I would but I would change many things. I will consider going back and re-starting my own firm after my kids go to college in 6 to 7 years.
Sandman98
AG
quote:
Hey Jackass2004, would you mind shooting me an e-mail? I'm at bmtex1 at gmail, and have a quick question for you.

Am I the only one who thought this thread was about to get nasty?
RogerEnright
I will play as well. I have an engr degree from A&M and an MBA from Cornell. I did the Wall Street thing, then moved to Texas as a middle market M&A banker. After my bank got bought out and the investment banking group shut down, I broke off with a friend to try to buy a company.

Initially we wanted to use investors and utilize a bit of debt, sort of a search fund, but I couldn't get comfortable with the required leverage that any of our potential acquisitions required. So my partner and I closed a few deals as advisers to my former clients and then split. He bought a business in the retail space in Dallas and I purchased a much smaller business than I originally wanted in OK City.

Yesterday made 4 months that I have owned it. I still pay earn out payments to the former owner (whom I call my partner for marketing reasons), but there is no real debt as the earn out is based on revenue. The business is www.wtrfs.com. We perform fleet maintenance on semi-trailers for various logistic companies. We are a small shop, but I have already started hiring new mechanics and we are positioned for growth.

It is still early, but the numbers seem to match what I expected during diligence. I increased the number of mechanics and we still haven't run out of work. The amount of my time and energy is likely a bit more than I initially expected, but I think the growth and my learning curve is the cause.

Too early to tell, but it seems that answer changes weekly in my mind.

Things that I have found interesting in my first 4 months:
1) It is amazing how many risks there are. You are constantly keeping landlords, customers, employees, tax and regulators happy. It certainly doesn't seem like there is anyone trying to help small businesses at times.

2) Businesses break rules, and it is normal. It surprises me how much comes down to a business risk reward decision. As a side note, I was buying some paint at Sherwin Williams last weekend and I saw their truck illegally blocking traffic to unload. I asked the lady at the counter what the police say when they see this, she says they tell them not to do it again. That is a good example. The world isn't perfect.

Each week I reduce the risks and make things a little better, but I have had to get comfortable playing / working in gray area.

The buck didn't stop with me when I was working for a company, so I never dealt with this much "gray area".

Andy07
AG
I'm curious how you chose your business speedy. Did you go through a business broker? Any previous experience in that area?
understandingmom
I'm answering for my husband.
Pressure Washing. Owner operator.
2) How large is it?
Small--one person, owner operator. I (the wife) do all the bookkeeping. From time to time he has tried part time employees and good hard working help is hard to find. This is hard work outside in the elements. He thinks it is easier and less hassle to do the work himself so he does.
A little over five years ago
In the very beginning we were excited and we were gonna do this and do that and ...and the plan was to expand the business but we quickly decided that expanding was going to take more money and more manpower; neither of which we had readily available. The focus then turned to maintaining what we had and doing a great job. **see below for more explanation.
Yes

More detail:
Husband worked at a large company for 11 years, had back surgery, exhausted FMLA before he was released by doctor, went back to work dressed in company clothing and was let go upon arrival. We had one month old twins and a 6 year old and a house and normal things that a family has like car payments and bills. So....after job searching and searching my husband started helping a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend at his company. After 4 months the guy wanted to move to Florida and sell his established pressure washing business. We reviewed the records, talked to a bank and bought the business. Most of what we bought was the customers, the truck and equipment was old and had to be replaced sooner than later. We have been going strong since, maintaining customers we bought and getting new ones. There is more work to be done than my husband can do. We often times toss around the idea of getting an employee or another work truck but again, this comes with risks that we fine without taking. We are comfortable. We are not rich. We do not throw money around. We get what we need and little of what we want. We do not do without. Yes, there is room for more saving and "stuff" but we are fine where we are. We have young kids and live comfortable.
Some of the things we do not like: lack of health Insurance at a reasonably rate, paying taxes and more taxes (all his income is 1099), working in the elements, cost of fixing and replacing equipment, and turning down work.
Yes, I know that most of these are things that any business has but that doesn't make us like them any better.
We have a great customer base that we are fortunate to have. My husband goes where he is supposed to go, when he is supposed to be there, and does what he is supposed to do and this has created a great customer relationship. He is so busy with this schedule he doesn't do much other work on the side; unfortunately, because my patio and all my friends patios are really dirty.

I think it all comes down to:
1. If can access the funds to buy or start the business
2. How hard are YOU willing to work? actually work, not just point or make a call. We were raised by labor workers and we learned work, we don't know anything but work.
MPython43
Very similar to where I was at that point in th pool business. It was about 5 years in that I hired my first guy, and that was BY FAR the most stressful experience of my life to that point. Putting your name on someone else's work at that point is extremely tough. It took me a few guys, but when I found the right one it became a whole new experience. He knew another solid guy that became our second employee. That just started the snowball of guys 3-11, most of whom knew each other in some way or another through the industry and found their way to our company.

The most vital thing I have found in building a solid team is how much my guys appreciate that I invest in them. Not only by compensating them well, but by not running them into the ground. I want to make sure they have time to enjoy their life so they are "on" when they're on the job. All of my guys came to me with a lot of experience and some quality talent, and they were being worked to death by their employers at the time. I've really been able to poach the A team talent from other places in town by just allowing them to enjoy a friendly work environment with normal, predictable hours.
RogerEnright
quote:
I'm curious how you chose your business speedy. Did you go through a business broker? Any previous experience in that area?
Andy07,

I didn't have any experience in the space, and the business was listed by a broker that I met during my search. I met a lot of brokers during my search. I would say that there are some good brokers out there and some lousy ones, so buyer beware.

My immediate background was in M&A, and I did a good bit of generalist work so new industries don't scare me. My goal for the learning curve / transition is basically what I told the top customers during my customer diligence process, to keep their services at the same level or to improve them. My predecessor had 20 years of industry experience, so I am pretty sensitive to keeping up the service level.

I do like the space (maintenance services side of transpiration), and I wouldn't invest into something that I didn't personally understand at a high level at least.

Hopefully that answers your questions.
ukbb2003
Speedy,

Would it be ok if I emailed you? I am currently looking at a business in the same industry and would love to ask some questions.
an antelope ate it
These are great!

I wonder if any of you have heard about the student business incubator at A&M? Might be a good way to help or mentor young aggie entrepreneurs...

http://startupaggieland.com/
Square Pair
AG
Do you own/run a business/company?

If so:

2) How large is it?

1) DoD engineering support, program management, etc. We support ISR programs such as the U-2, Predator/Reaper, Global Hawk, and some satellite sensor systems as government contractors.

2) We are a small service disabled company and just hired our 29th employee. 8 geographic locations to include Germany and we'll open an office in Italy at the end of the year.

3) Formed the company in 2006 as my business partner and I didn't like the way the company we were with was being managed. It was a similar type company (i.e. government contracting) but ran by friends of ours that were a husband and wife team. Wife was president (woman owned contract advantage) and husband was vice president. Holy sheet that was a train wreck and the company became toxic due to their bickering.

4) Absolutely! Actually its been more than I initially imagined.

5) Yes. Lots of headaches with government contracting, budget cuts, etc but there is no way in hell I would ever have been able to get where I am financially today by working for someone else. I would have commanded a very good salary with my skillset, but nothing near what I can realize with our business model/profit margins.
RogerEnright
quote:
Speedy,

Would it be ok if I emailed you? I am currently looking at a business in the same industry and would love to ask some questions.
ukbb2003,

Sorry for the delay. You can reach me at:

I will help where I can.

austinrb10
AG
I'm involved with a factoring / AR finance company, and we work with small to medium size businesses daily. Before, I was a banker with one of the big 5.

My take from 15 yrs in the lending arena is that most small business owners do not understand the numbers. Like someone said earlier, know your numbers. If you don't, or don't want to learn, hire an interim controller/CFO firm. Your CPA, your bookkeeper, they have other significant contributions to your business, but a controller/CFO will understand your operations, personnel, etc. You need someone to properly reconcile your books at minimum monthly.

The other most common mistake is a heavily concentrated customer base. Don't put your eggs in one basket. Things will change. It's inevitable. It may be your buddy's company that you're doing business with, but he will extend you out as long as he can if he were to lose a project or becomes too leveraged to pay himself first. He may not pay you at all.

Finally, don't give up a growth opportunity because of your worries about debt. Debt is manageable if you know your numbers and have a plan. Debt may become necessary to expand. Your return far outweighs your costs of incurring debt....wisely.

The opportunities I've been afforded to work on, and the unique people running their shops is amazing. A business owner/entrepreneur is a special type of person that most people can't comprehend being
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.