Scotland Help

1,180 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by NE PA Ag
CowboyGirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heading to Scotland in July for Sat/Sun at the Open Championship at Royal Troon golf course. Have 6ish days before the tournament to spend elsewhere in Scotland. Flying in/out of Edinburgh (free tx), but I have already spent a week there on a previous trip, so not looking to spend much time here this time.

One caveat - hubs has hip/back/knee issues so hiking and long walking tours/museum visits are out this time around. We need to look for things where we can be dropped off close and/or see well from a distance. We won't have a car, so will be using taxi, train, and hire private car/guides for the big things.

Here's what we are thinking so far - welcome suggestions for can't miss places and restaurants.

Day 1: Arrive Edinburgh. Airport pickup 1/2 day driving tour of Edinburgh (castle, Holyrood, Arthur's Seat, Royal Mile, Princes Street, Greyfriars, pub lunch...). Dropped at Waverly train station for train to Inverness.

Day 2: Inverness. Driver/guide for Speyside whisky tour + Culloden Battlefield and bit of Cairngorms. Would make a big circle out of Inverness on A96 to Elgin, Dufftown, and then follow along the River Spey on the A95, cut into a little of Cairngorms, and then back to Inverness on the A9. More interested in tastings than tours at the distilleries and more interested in tasting things we can't buy in the USA.

Day 3: Inverness. Depending on the weather and how ambitious we feel, considering train to Dunrobin Castle, and/or Dornoch for lunch, golf course shop, and beach. Would need combo of train and taxis to get there/back. This might prove too complicated without a car. Other option would be the Kyle Line to Kyle of Lochash and Eileen Dornan and return. Or if the weather is bad, we may just make it a lazy day in Inverness - sleep in, pub hop, etc.

Day 4: Depart Inverness for Oban. Private car/guide pickup at hotel. Loch Ness, Urquhart Castle quick photo ops. Could wind our way down the coast to Oban. Could do Eileen Dornan/Kyle of Lochash if we didn't do it the previous day. Or make beeline for Oban and then go on to Isle of Mull/Tobermory. Driver leaves us in Oban for the night.

Day 5: Oban. Train from Oban to Glasgow. Can take morning or afternoon train depending on if we want more time in Oban or to go to Mull, Argyll or somewhere else.

Day 6: Glasgow. No ideas yet. May be a slow day.

Day 7: Glasgow. Train to Troon for Open Championship.

Day 8: Glasgow. Train to Troon for Open Championship.

Day 9: Glasgow Edinburgh Airport for Return to USA.
Average Joe
AG
That's actually a pretty strong itinerary already. Those hit most of my favorites.
et98
AG
Solid itinerary. I think it looks like a great trip as is. The only input I have is...

Since golf seems to be important to you guys, have y'all considered adjusting the schedule to include a brief stop at St. Andrews instead of going straight to Inverness from Edinburgh?

Inverness is awesome. Great town to just hang out for a day, especially if pub hopping is something you're into. You have to hit MacGregors of course, but there are about a dozen other great options too. Be sure to drop by Leakey's Bookshop as well. Don't eat at Johnny Foxes. My wife & I still make fun of just how bad they were able to screw up a simple hamburger!

We stayed a night at Dornoch Castle. Great restaurant there. We aren't big golf people and didn't have time to check out the beach, but I hear the golf course & beach are great. Dunrobin was also wonderful and would highly recommend it.

Eileen Dornan is cool, but I don't know that it would have been worth it as a special trip and not just a stop on the way to Skye. I would definitely choose a daytrip to Dunrobin & Dornoch over a day trip to Eileen Dornan & Kyle of Locash.

While some folks think Glasgow is a bit boring compared to other cities, we really enjoyed it. The university there is absolutely beautiful and the necropolis up on the hill is unbelievable. Bad knees may rule out a stroll through it, but you can get close enough to see it by bus without having to actually walk through it. Glasgow has a great hop on/hop off bus that will take you to just about everything of interest.
CowboyGirl
AG
et98 said:

Solid itinerary. I think it looks like a great trip as is. The only input I have is...

Since golf seems to be important to you guys, have y'all considered adjusting the schedule to include a brief stop at St. Andrews instead of going straight to Inverness from Edinburgh?

Inverness is awesome. Great town to just hang out for a day, especially if pub hopping is something you're into. You have to hit MacGregors of course, but there are about a dozen other great options too. Be sure to drop by Leakey's Bookshop as well. Don't eat at Johnny Foxes. My wife & I still make fun of just how bad they were able to screw up a simple hamburger!

We stayed a night at Dornoch Castle. Great restaurant there. We aren't big golf people and didn't have time to check out the beach, but I hear the golf course & beach are great. Dunrobin was also wonderful and would highly recommend it.

Eileen Dornan is cool, but I don't know that it would have been worth it as a special trip and not just a stop on the way to Skye. I would definitely choose a daytrip to Dunrobin & Dornoch over a day trip to Eileen Dornan & Kyle of Locash.

While some folks think Glasgow is a bit boring compared to other cities, we really enjoyed it. The university there is absolutely beautiful and the necropolis up on the hill is unbelievable. Bad knees may rule out a stroll through it, but you can get close enough to see it by bus without having to actually walk through it. Glasgow has a great hop on/hop off bus that will take you to just about everything of interest.

Thanks for the input on Dornoch vs Kyle of Lochash. That would be my preference also. If the choice is a day trip to Dunrobin/Dornoch or a day free in Inverness what would you choose? (Especially given that the day before and after are long touring days)?
Average Joe
AG
CowboyGirl said:

et98 said:

Thanks for the input on Dornoch vs Kyle of Lochash. That would be my preference also. If the choice is a day trip to Dunrobin/Dornoch or a day free in Inverness what would you choose? (Especially given that the day before and after are long touring days)?
There is not a ton to do in Kyle of Lochalsh, but it was my second favorite place behind Inverness. That area is absolutely beautiful. There is a reason that Eileen Donan castle is the most photographed castle in Scotland.

I don't think you could go wrong between Kyle of Lochalsh/Eileen Donan, Dornoch, or Inverness.
JonSnow
Just be sure not to misgender anyone.
et98
AG
Quote:

If it were me, I'd spend the day in Inverness to break up the travel days. But it's really just a personal preference thing, and you can't really go wrong either way.
NE PA Ag
Maybe you aren't interested in driving everywhere, but I'd do that. So many places to stop and check out. Some get spooked by the left side of the road or just plain dislike driving, so I get it. The distances are so small in the scheme of things though.

Have you already done Stirling? If you were driving you can day trip there from Edimburgh, or swing a bit out of your way going to Inverness.

Going from Inverness to Oban you have to see Ben Nevis, highest point in the UK, but more importantly, take the road through Glen Coe and then back to the road to Oban. Very beautiful and easy to stop along the way for air and views. Read about the famous massacre of the MacDonald clan by the Campbell clan before going for a historical perspective.

Also visit Loch Lommond on the way from Oban to Glasgow, largest loch in Scotland and stunning, but not if you stick with the train of course.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.