Iceland in October

1,252 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bthotugigem05
KRamp90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody been? Tips? Looking at using some sort of guide service. I have heard they are pretty strict from a law standpoint.
We have a line on a guy, just curious if anyone has been. Thanks!
07ag
AG
i used nordic saga to book a week long tour,, was actually operated by gudmundur jonasson. would recommend it, i really enjoyed it. went in october 2015 and saw the northern lights several times

[url=https://nordicsaga.com/northern-lights-exploration-tour][/url]https://nordicsaga.com/northern-lights-exploration-tour

https://ts.la/eric59704
KRamp90
AG
Thank you!
Danger Mouse
AG
Been to Iceland twice on long layovers. So was able to leave the airport. Both times in September.

The first trip was a layover on the way to Stockholm. I stayed in the airport because it was around 5am when I arrived. So I sat at a bar and drank Icelandic beers (Viking) with an Icelandic fisherman.

Second trip was was on a return flight. We walked from the plane to the terminal, and I remember the sly was sunny and blue, but it was pretty cold for early September.

I'd like to spend a couple of nights there to get a feel for the country. I do know that it is extremely expensive.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
AggieOO
We went over Thanksgiving. Daylight was limited, but it was fine. We'd travel to whatever activity before the sun came up and would leave around sunset. Hit bars/restaurants in Reykjavik after dark.
AgRyan04
There was a volcanic eruption there a few weeks ago so might be worth seeing if it affected anything from a tourist standpoint (roads, points of interest, etc.)

I don't know if it did but I saw it on the news and thought about that
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Drinking beers at 0500 on a layover is pretty solid.
Danger Mouse
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Drinking beers at 0500 on a layover is pretty solid.

Haha yup. That was about 25 years ago, so my list of IDGAF moves back then was quite lengthy..
Class of '91 (MEEN)
Danger Mouse
AG
AgRyan04 said:

There was a volcanic eruption there a few weeks ago so might be worth seeing if it affected anything from a tourist standpoint (roads, points of interest, etc.)

I don't know if it did but I saw it on the news and thought about that

One of the more memorable trips I've had involved an Icelandic volcano. About 15 years ago I was on the return leg of a 6 week trip to Europe. Return flight via CDG.

There was a transportation strike in France, so I had to sleep inside one of the terminals at CDG because all airport hotels were booked solid. Back then I wasn't as efficient of a packer, so had two large pieces of luggage and a backpack. Slept with one eye open for fear someone would steal my stuff.

The next morning I made it to the gate and dozed off. Only to be awakened by alarms because CDG was evacuated for security reasons.

Only to be topped off by the flight being delayed because of the smoke and ash from the volcano in Iceland.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
bthotugigem05
AG
I don't think they're strict at all aside from their speed limits on the ring road.

I've been 7-8 times, what are you hoping to see? It's definitely doable without a guide depending on what you want to do.
The Milkman
AG
We just booked a trip to Iceland yesterday. Good sale on Iceland Air right now. I think I'm going to rent a car and just self guide ourselves though.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
The Milkman said:

We just booked a trip to Iceland yesterday. Good sale on Iceland Air right now. I think I'm going to rent a car and just self guide ourselves though.

My wife and I did this. September 2018. Stayed 3 nights in Reykjavik, did day trips in the car along the "Golden Circle". Stayed one night in a tiny house out near Vik. If you do the Blue Lagoon, spend the extra money and book the luxury resort side.

Yes, it's chilly in September. It flurried a bit.
KRamp90
AG
Good information!
Thanks all!
bthotugigem05
AG
Here's a 5-day sample itinerary I've put together for friends in the past if you don't mind a link to a blog: https://andystravelblog.com/2021/05/04/iceland-guide/
RachAg2007
AG
My husband and I went to Iceland for a week at the end of September/first week of October. We rented a camper van and drove around. The weather was a mixed bag- some beautiful days in the low 50s, and some cold and windy days in the low 30s. Despite the bad weather days, I enjoyed being in Iceland in the fall. The tourist sites were busy but not overwhelming.
bthotugigem05
AG
Heed the winds, also. A lot of the rental cars will have stickers on the car doors telling you to hold onto them when you open the door, as wind gusts can rip them right off.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.