St John USVI suggestions

1,393 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Old Ag 74
Old Ag 74
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy - going for the first time to St John for a 50th wedding anniversary in April. We're staying in Cruz Bay and renting a Jeep. Looking for suggestions from those who have been for good restaurants, beaches to snorkel and relax at, excursions, and hikes. Any other tips for a first timer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
maverick12
AG
St John is the best. There are so many different beaches to explore. Hawksnest is our favorite. Trunk Bay is great, but tends to be more crowded. There is pretty good snorkeling there though so it's definitely worth a visit. Maho Bay used to be really cool, but they added improvements after the hurricanes. There is now paved parking, public restrooms and food and drink there now. Cinnamon Bay is another awesome beach.

For hiking, Ram Head is really good. On a clear day, you can see St. Croix. We've also done a few random hikes in the VI National Park, but enjoyed Ram Head the best.

For snorkeling, I think Waterlemon Cay is the best accessible by foot. It is a bit of a hike. Also, be careful of the currents depending on the wind. Trunk Bay is also worth doing. If you choose to do a charter, it will definitely open up more snorkeling options.

I'd highly recommend a charter or two. We prefer to go the private charter route to do exactly what we want verses the canned charters (some of them are really good too). Our absolute cannot miss when visiting BVI or USVI is the Soggy Dollar. It's in BVI so you'll have to clear customs but it's an easy process. Other cool BVI spots if you do a BVI charter are the Willy T, The Indians (good snorkel spot) and The Baths (long boat ride) for a few.

In terms of food, I really like Lime Out. It's like a floating taco truck/bar with craft cocktails. It's only accessible by boat though so it would have to be in conjunction with a charter. A few other places we like are:
Skinny Legs, Morgan's Mango, Miss Lucy's, The Lime Inn, The Beach Bar (for drinks), La Tapa and Woody's.
Woody's.

There is really so much to do it's impossible to fit into one trip. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

wcb
AG
No tips but congrats on a 50th.

#goals
Snipes
AG
Most of the beaches will be tight on parking at peak times.

We noticed that after 3pm the beaches would be deserted until dark.

The brewery in town is solid and we do late lunch then pickup a six pack and finish it off on the beach watching the sun go down.

My kids were too young but next time we go I'm renting a dinghy for the day and cruise to beaches you can't easily get to on foot.

If your house doesn't come fully stocked with gear then come with a neso beach tent and yeti/artic cooler back pack.

The shuttle to the red hook ferry was more expensive then I expected, if your flight time works out do the charlotte Amalie ferry that is much closer to the airport.

The driving on Island is bit interesting with the hills and on the left hand side of road but you will get hang of it quickly.

TRIDENT
AG
Trunk Bay was great and not crowded in June 2023 for snorkeling, and relaxing. And don't miss Morgan's Mango for dinner.

maroon10
AG
We did a catamaran to the Baths and then Soggy Dollar- the best excursion.
Old Ag 74
AG
Thanks for the recommendations and suggestions!
Old Ag 74
AG
Thanks for the pictures! Beautiful! Definitely planning on Morgan's Mango for dinner.
Old Ag 74
AG
Thanks for the info. We are using the Crown Bay Ferry to go to St John and getting our car there. Looked like getting to the Red Hook Ferry was a bit of an ordeal. Thanks again!
Old Ag 74
AG
Thank you!
Old Ag 74
AG
Thanks Maroon. Do you remember the name of the excursion company you used?
maroon10
AG
I'll try to dig it up- it's been over 8 years since we've gone.
Big Al 1992
AG
For trips to the Baths and BVI, Bad Kitty.
For trips around STJ, Island Roots is awesome. Owner/Captain Jason grew up on the island and was a contestant on Survivor a while back. Ryan and Max are great captains as well. Pizza Pi just added floating benches and is in Christmas Cove (close to Epstein's Island - say hi to Bill!)
Windmill Bar is fantastic. Best view on the island, music, cool vibe.
Old Ag 74
AG
Thanks - was planning on going to the Windmill Bar. Is the food good there, or is it mainly a place to get a drink and enjoy the view?
OilManAg91
AG
Windmill Bar is really great for sunset views and drinks. IIRC they have a small bar food menu but it's not so good for food, so you will want to go somewhere else for dinner.
09Ag
AG
St John's has probably been my favorite vacation my wife (then gf) and I have taken. We went pretty soon after the hurricane, so not everything was opened yet. We stayed at Gallows Point and rented a jeep to check out all the beaches. We also did a fishing charter with Cpt Cleve. After catching our limit of snapper he took us to the soggy dollar bar and to foxys (foxy was the only guy there at the time but he's an entertainer). One of our best meals was Lime Inn where they cooked our fresh snapper with risotto. Also had really good meals at Mango Tango and Extra Virgin. We usually had happy hour at Longboard.
Old Ag 74
AG
Thanks!
Old Ag 74
AG
Good info. Thank you! I've read good reviews about Lime Inn.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.