***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,038,545 Views | 21827 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by All I do is Nguyen
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This team needs to at least start playing .500 baseball. Keep the deficit where it is and then start to chisel away, hoping for a stretch or two of good baseball.

Another 2-8 stretch of games, and Dana needs to start listening to offers.
Mathguy64
AG
Another 2-8 stretch and people will be out of jobs
Boiling Denim
Boiling Denim said:

So this team gets swept by the Cubs, splits with the Rockies and comes back home ****ting their britches after some bad Mexican water and gets curb stomped by the best record in the AL Guardians, Mariners who they can't hit on their best day and we'll all get to watch the Yankees put us down for the count in early May

Gonna be a rough couple weeks amigos but I've been known to be wrong before
RED AG 98
AG
Happy Garrett Cooper day!***

***Zero knowledge, might not be for the Astros but almost certainly someone picked him up, right?
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Off days...
Mathguy64
AG
Off days = days we cannot possibly lose a game.
Ag_07
AG
Off days...

BayAg_14
2024 off days…

tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Off days = days we cannot possibly lose a game.

*Astros defeated by off day, 6-4*

Game notes:
- off day started a rookie pitcher who was drafted in the 41st round… in his debut tonight he went 7 shutout innings of 5 hit ball
- after a rough 1st inning by Hunter Brown in which he gave up 3 straight bloop singles, he gave up a grand slam to put the Astros down 4-0
- in the 9th inning the Astros put together a rally to tie the game at 4, only to have Josh Hader give up a 2 run homerun to the OFFDAYS final guy on the bench
- Astros strand 10 runners and were 0-8 with RISP before the 9th inning
- Bregman set the MLB record for highest infield popup and Jose Abreu went 0-4 today with 3 K and the softest recorded lineout in the stat cast era
redline248
AG
I'm sitting here this morning wondering why Hunter Brown has sucked so much. His fastball is getting destroyed, but not as much as his curveball...which should be a weapon for him.
n_touch
redline248 said:

I'm sitting here this morning wondering why Hunter Brown has sucked so much. His fastball is getting destroyed, but not as much as his curveball...which should be a weapon for him.
It was happening toward the end of last year as well. I remember his last few starts being pretty shaky. Was hoping he was just tired from more use, but it seems that hitters have figured him out.
The Beef01
AG
I have this on absolutely solid authority** that this was the scene after yesterday's game with Espada and the team. I believe the season will take a dramatic turn tomorrow...

**Absolutely not true, at all.
_veeyah_
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Team imitates their manager

This is what always gets me, there's been couple of games where Homeplate ump has been pretty bad and there's never any emotion from the coaches or players. Sometimes these umps need a little reminder to be better. But I'm probably making more out of it than what it is.

I still believe (even though it won't happen) that this team will turn it around. It's been a perfect storm of bad things happening to this team and they'll come out of it. I also feel like there's enough blame to go around and Espada should be one of the last ones but unfortunately he'll probably be the first one gone.
JCA1
AG
iBrad said:

JCA1 said:

These tweets are pretty sobering.

No one saw this coming. Our struggles down the stretch last season are well noted, but that did not foreshadow starting pitching injuries, the back end of bullpen sucking, or Bregman not producing. Hell, there weren't even signs that Abreu would fall off a cliff, as that was when he started to actually be somewhat productive.

To look back at last season and try to say we should have seen this coming is a ridiculous take.

I don't think that's what he's saying. He's just noting that we've been about a .500 club for a pretty long time now, and we haven't played the quality of baseball we'll need to play to dig out of this huge hole in a long time. Hopefully we do but there's no reason to deny what we've been for almost a year now.
redline248
AG
The glaring question is will Bregman turn it around? Surely he isn't turning into a bum this soon...
Ag_07
AG
I'd be interested to hear from ketch and what the latest clubhouse/FO rumblings are.

Last week he said it was on the table that if things didn't get turned around heads could roll. Well here we are a week later and things have actually gotten worse.
Farmer1906
AG
Did he say heads will roll or moves would be made (sell)?
Prosperdick
AG
The Beef01 said:

I have this on absolutely solid authority** that this was the scene after yesterday's game with Espada and the team. I believe the season will take a dramatic turn tomorrow...

Espada:You guys lollygag the ball around the infield, ya lollygag you're way to first, ya lollygag in an' outta the dugout. You know what that makes ya? Lopez?
Lopez: Lollygaggers.
Espada: Lollygaggers. What's our record Lopez?
Lopez: Seven and nineteen.
Espada: Seven and nineteen...how did we ever win seven?
Lopez: It's a miracle.
TarponChaser
Prosperdick said:

The Beef01 said:

Espada:You guys lollygag the ball around the infield, ya lollygag you're way to first, ya lollygag in an' outta the dugout. You know what that makes ya? Lopez?
Lopez: Lollygaggers.
Espada: Lollygaggers. What's our record Lopez?
Lopez: Seven and nineteen.
Espada: Seven and nineteen...how did we ever win seven?
Lopez: It's a miracle.

100% this
iBrad
AG
Right. He's just oversimplifying it by focusing on record alone. In our last 60 or so games in '21, we were just a few games over .500 and then went 7-9 in the playoffs, losing the World Series. That meant nothing come '22 where we won 106 games and the WS. And we had even lost Correa to free agency and McCullers to injury.

Fun to look back at to try to explain what we're seeing now, but there weren't any indicators of such a monumental collapse. I think everyone had tempered expectations and knew the door was closing, but no one expected it to slam shut in our face.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The pitching has been getting hit so hard, I kinda wonder if our catchers are doing something to give away the pitch before it comes (location / type). I know the pitchers just plain suck too, but it's so consistent that it makes ya wonder if there's an additional cause.
Mathguy64
AG
For the record, I don't this this is a door slamming shut season. This is a team experiencing a combination of fluky bad events, a collection of players who are significantly underperforming their historical trends, injuries and some poor offseason decisions to add a closer at the expense of middle relief depth.

And Jose Abreu.
Wabs
AG
Blanco and Framber going next 2 games against the Rockies. "Should" be wins, right?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs said:

Blanco and Framber going next 2 games against the Rockies. "Should" be wins, right?
Framber has been pretty wild in his limited starts this year. To me, this whole exercise of not doing a rehab start could turn the first game back into a complete circus.
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

Should? Sure. But it's baseball. We've been humbled greatly this season.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Wabs said:

Framber has been pretty wild in his limited starts this year. To me, this whole exercise of not doing a rehab start could turn the first game back into a complete circus.

He was wild in game 1 and but made adjustments for game 2.

He's always had that is an underlying issues.
Ag_07
AG
Wabs said:

Nothing the season is a should be.

Framber is coming off injury and Blanco while great so far is still young.

Oh yeah...We're playing at an elevation higher than Coors Field so the ball will be flying all over the place. That never bodes well for a struggling staff.
DeProfundis
I'm at the point where I was almost a decade ago where wins are a pipe dream and I'm just hoping to have a few entertaining games time and time again.

Watching $30,000,000 players pop up with the bases juiced, singleton gut out shallow infield bloop single and abreu shoo chickens away from the porch are not my idea of a good time.
cc10106
I'm not giving up on this season, but at least a good foundation is in place for '25 currently along with plenty money to spend.
E
AG
Anyone going to the games in Mexico City this weekend? We are going to Sat and Sun with a groupd of friends.

Never been to Mexico City, so I packed plenty of dude wipes and imodium incase the Stro's and myself s**t the bed.
BayAg_14
I laughed.

JCA1
AG
iBrad said:

Right. He's just oversimplifying it by focusing on record alone. In our last 60 or so games in '21, we were just a few games over .500 and then went 7-9 in the playoffs, losing the World Series. That meant nothing come '22 where we won 106 games and the WS. And we had even lost Correa to free agency and McCullers to injury.

Fun to look back at to try to explain what we're seeing now, but there weren't any indicators of such a monumental collapse. I think everyone had tempered expectations and knew the door was closing, but no one expected it to slam shut in our face.
Uh, it's just a tweet, not a dissertation.

The tweet just laid out our record over the last 10 months or so for those that may not realize, since we were a game away from the World Series last year, that we've been little more than a.500 ball club for a while. And he explicitly says this doesn't explain the horrendous start to this season. He's basically just making the point that digging out of this hole will require a level a baseball that we haven't played in a long time. But, again, hopefully they find the magic.

And finally, everything you say is true. But every tweet doesn't require regurgitating everything you say (and presumably a bunch of other stuff that could be said as well) to be valid. The record is what it is. You're free to add whatever context you want, but I don't get the "how dare he cite our record without also providing an in-depth analysis of the last 3 years" when we're talking about a tweet.

But this has probably gone on too long. We all want the Stros to win. Here's hoping it starts soon.
Hornbeck
Abreu goes 0-4 against Off Day pitching
gambochaman
AG
Hornbeck said:

Abreu goes 0-4 against Off Day pitching

With 2 errors
RED AG 98
AG
Everyone in the org that travels to Mexico -- players, coaches, trainers, assistants to the assistants, etc -- should be forced to drink 64 oz of local water daily during their visit. The whole team gets a case of Montezuma's Revenge and a couple of unscheduled days off. The Skeeter Space Cowboys get to play in the bigs for a couple of days. And the big league folks get a chance to reset and [clears throat] flush this abortion of a start from the system.

First Page Last Page
Page 380 of 624

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.