HOF debate- Paul Goldschmidt

1,164 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by DeProfundis
TarponChaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Had somebody claim Goldschmidt is a definite HOF when he retires and is eligible. First instinct is that the guy was smoking crack so I went and looked up his numbers.

At 36 he's a career .293 hitter with a .907 OPS and 340 HR. He won the NL MVP in 2022 and has 7 AS, 4 GG, and 5 SS awards. Last year at 35 his numbers dropped pretty precipitously off his career averages and way below 2022. He might reach 400 HR but that's about it.

I'd argue he's in the Hall of Very Good but closer to HOF than my first instinct. What do y'all say?
CowtownAg06
AG
Jaws has him pretty close to in. 62 career WAR. I think if he can get o 70 he's in. He was the MVP in 2022 and in his "bad" year last year he still put of 3.5. As long as he maintains even that level, he's in.
Farmer1906
AG
Career 142 wRC+. That screams "in" to me right off the jump.

He should pass 2k hits, 350 HR, 1200 RBI, and 1200 Runs this year. Those are all solid counting milestones.

Over the last 20 years only Cabrera, Pujols, Freeman, & Votto are ahead of him in fWAR. He's neck and neck with Freeman & Votto. He'll likely pass Votto this year. Off the cuff those 4 he's ranked with are HOFers.

He's led the league in RBI, HR, SLG (2x), OPS (2x), OPS+ (2x), SF, & IBB (2x).

He's won an MVP plus finished 2nd (twice), 3rd, 6th (twice), 11th, 15th, and 20th.

7x AS
5x SS
4x GG

He's in for me.

I think his #s will end up very similar to Helton, who just got in, but without the help of Coors.

Here is where he ranked vs all time 1B:
  • 18th in bWAR and will likely move Helton & McGwire this year.
  • 13th in WAR7.
  • 17th in JAWS. His 53.4 JAWS is literally the AVG of 25 HOFers at his position.
  • 10th in MVP Share.
  • 17th in WAR Share.
  • 21st in OPS+, but moves into 8th if you take guys who played after 1950.
AgRyan04
I had this same text discussion with a buddy....I think based on the current mindset/criteria he'll get in
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
213 Grove
AG
I think he will eventually get in.

I just bought this baseball he signed. My high schools baseball coach played with him in college and he donated it for the alumni game auction

DeProfundis
Man I thought he was a no doubt hall of famer. MVP, 6 times in the top 6 of MVP voting, 4 Gold Gloves, 5 silver sluggers at THE slugging position. His stat totals aren't crazy because he missed 100 games due to Covid and he didn't hit the big leagues until 23.

I think he gets overlooked because he's played in Arizona and St Louis his entire career

EDIT: SHOULDA READ FARMER'S POST FIRST.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.