****AL West (Astros & Rangers) Genuine -- and Civil -- Discussion Thread****

32,874 Views | 413 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by DallasAg 94
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So what is the reason for y'alls recent run of losses?

Is it lineup, pitching, etc.? Are y'all seeing well hit balls just not fall in the gaps? In other words, it's just a matter of time?

On the Rangers side, the biggest thing after the massive failure against you guys, our offense has finally seemed to come around. And surprisingly the bullpen came in clutch last night.

Just curious what you Astros fans are seeing during this recent slump. Thanks.
tjack16
AG
Legal Custodian said:

So what is the reason for y'alls recent run of losses?

Is it lineup, pitching, etc.? Are y'all seeing well hit balls just not fall in the gaps? In other words, it's just a matter of time?

On the Rangers side, the biggest thing after the massive failure against you guys, our offense has finally seemed to come around. And surprisingly the bullpen came in clutch last night.

Just curious what you Astros fans are seeing during this recent slump. Thanks.

When we get good pitching, we don't get good hitting. When we get good hitting, we don't get good pitching

Can't really explain it. Just not playing complimentary baseball.
Legal Custodian
AG
So just one of those run of games that happens over the course of the season?
tjack16
AG
Legal Custodian said:

So just one of those run of games that happens over the course of the season?

I think they took the lead and then killed the rangers in Arlington … then thought they'd sleep walk into the playoffs with an easy stretch of games. Just seems like a lack of urgency and focus

Not sure if they break out of this with a loss to the Orioles today. Seems like must win right now
jkag89
One thing we can agree on tonight , no matter how much it will pain us, Go Damn Yankees!
Farmer1906
AG
King-Gausman is a good match up too.
Daddy-O5
AG
jkag89 said:

One thing we can agree on tonight , no matter how much it will pain us, Go Damn Yankees!

I hate that you're right on many levels.
Farmer1906
AG
Yall planning on burying the Mariners or are we gunna keep it interesting?
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Yall planning on burying the Mariners or are we gunna keep it interesting?

That really depends on how often we let Will Smith pitch. We'll get back to you with the first round results on Sunday.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Legal Custodian
AG
This is definitely one of the most interesting divisional races I remember seeing in quite some time. Can any think of any recent where it was 3 teams so close in both the division race as well as wildcard?
Legal Custodian
AG
Legal Custodian said:

This is definitely one of the most interesting divisional races I remember seeing in quite some time. Can any think of any recent where it was 3 teams so close in both the division race as well as wildcard?

TefIon Don
AG
I'll be honest. I want TOR to tank so that all three ALW teams make the playoffs. That would be fun.
BMX Bandit
Oracle has spoken!

Astros 5-4; 90-72
Rangers 6-4; 90-72
Mariners 5-5; 89-73
tjack16
AG

LincolnBorglum79
AG
Next 6 days. Go Rangers. Sweep the Mariners while the Astros sweep KC. We enter next week 3.5 ahead of Seattle and .5 games ahead of Texas. Astros can then sweep Seattle to clinch a playoff spot with a 6.5 game lead over the Mariners.

If the Rangers want to end all of the drama, a simple loss of all 3 at LA would clinch the division for Houston on Wednesday with a 3.5 game lead on the Rangers and 6.5 on Seattle with the Rangers needing a single win in the 4 game series at Seattle to win the wildcard and a trip to Minnesota.

Toronto dropping a bunch of games wouldnt hurt.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Pretty interesting times but the Mariners have by far the hardest schedule whereas Rangers get a break with Angels and same for the Astros with the Royals
BMX Bandit
Rangers played like best team for vast majority of season, so appropriate they take the division. Congrats!
fc2112
While every team deals with injuries, a telling tale for the Rangers was:

The Rangers had 5 All Stars that play in the infield - Semien, Seager, Jung, Heim and Eovaldi. Last Tuesday was the first game they were all playing together since - July 4.
Danny Vermin
bmac_aggie18 said:

Pretty interesting times but the Mariners have by far the hardest schedule whereas Rangers get a break with Angels and same for the Astros with the Royals

Or so we all thought. None of us thought that was possible.
fc2112
So it's interesting to note - the Rangers likely hold Houston's playoff fate in their hands.

If the division is clinched by, say Friday, the Rangers can rest pitchers, etc, for two days and let Seattle win the last two. I bet the Rangers would rather face the winner of a Twins/Mariners wild card series than face Houston again.

The only thing the Rangers overall record would matter at that point is home field advantage in the World Series.
Mr Gigem
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
This is fun. It nice when both teams are good.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
tjack16
AG
So I'm sure it's been discussed but it's possible (not probable) for a 3 way tie at 89-73

Would be wild
South Platte
tjack16 said:

So I'm sure it's been discussed but it's possible (not probable) for a 3 way tie at 89-73

Would be wild
What about a 4-way tie?
Legal Custodian
AG
South Platte said:

tjack16 said:

Would be wild
What about a 4-way tie?
Possible and we would get the final spot over the Blue Jays.
Leander - Ag
AG
If the astros sweep Arz do the rangers have to win 2 in Seattle to get the division?
tjack16
AG
Legal Custodian said:

South Platte said:

tjack16 said:

Would be wild
What about a 4-way tie?

I still don't know how that would work.

Tiebreakers
Mariners > Astros
Astros > Rangers
Rangers > Mariners
Blue Jays > Astros
Rangers > Blue Jays
Blue Jays and Mariners tied 3-3
Legal Custodian
AG
tjack16 said:

Legal Custodian said:

South Platte said:

tjack16 said:

Would be wild
What about a 4-way tie?

I still don't know how that would work.

Tiebreakers
Mariners > Astros
Astros > Rangers
Rangers > Mariners
Blue Jays > Astros
Rangers > Blue Jays
Blue Jays and Mariners tied 3-3
The AL West crown has to be decided first based on MLB rules. Seattle wins that. Then it's a three-way tie for the 2 wild card spots. Astros get the 2nd wildcard, then it's H2H for Texas and Blue Jays which Texas wins.
Legal Custodian
AG
https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-mlb-postseason-three-team-and-four-team-tiebreaker-scenarios?partnerID=web_article-share
Mr Gigem
AG

tjack16
AG
Legal Custodian said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-mlb-postseason-three-team-and-four-team-tiebreaker-scenarios?partnerID=web_article-share

A game 163 between Texas and Toronto would be so much for exciting. Wish they would have stuck with that old rule
Legal Custodian
AG
Under the old rules you mean? Or did I miss that as a possibility in that article?
tjack16
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Under the old rules you mean? Or did I miss that as a possibility in that article?

No I'm saying under the old rules. The game 163 was exciting.
Farmer1906
AG
163 games are no more.
94chem
The nuclear option for the Rangers is a 3 way tie for the AL West, with Toronto going 3-1 or 4-0 over their final 4 games. That would put all 3 AL West teams at 89 wins, and TOR at 90/91. SEA takes the division, and HOU beats TEX for the wild card on head to head.

If we assume the games are all 50/50, and my math is solid, TEX has a 6.25% chance of being swept 0-4, and HOU has a 37.5% chance of going 2-1. Multiplying those possibilities gives TEX a 2.3% chance of missing the play-offs, without considering TOR. Now, if we consider TOR, they have a 31.25% chance of going 4-0 or 3-1, both of which would knock out TEX. Multiplying that by the "nuclear option" gives TEX a 0.9% chance of missing the playoffs. This is exactly the number shown by ESPN.

Interesting side note. If SEA wins the first 3 games against TEX and HOU wins the first 2 against ARI, a TEX loss coupled with an HOU loss would knock TEX out of everything (if TOR goes 3-1). A TEX loss coupled with a HOU win would give TEX the WC over SEA, regardless of TOR.

Now for the HOU AL West odds. HOU wins the AL West if they go 3-0 and TEX goes 0-4 (outright), or if they go 3-0 and TEX goes 1-3 (tiebreaker). My math shows that HOU has a 3.9% chance of winning the AL West.

SEA only wins the AL West if they go 4-0 and HOU goes 2-1. They have a 2.3% chance of winning the AL West.

We can either subtract the HOU and SEA probabilities to show that TEX has a 93.8% chance of winning the AL West, or we can crank through all remaining probabilities and arrive at the same answer (which I did).

Other than the complicated math, the cool thing is that the 50/50 chance for each game probably isn't far off, since all 3 series (HOU-ARI, TEX-SEA, and TOR-TAM) involve 6 teams who are good and still playing for seeding and play-off spots.

Sorry if I got anything wrong. I tried.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.