A-Roid presser this morning at 10am central time

4,227 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Gramercy Riffs
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is he going to announce his retirement?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nj.com/articles/19066561/did_yankees_drop_clues_about_alex_rodriguezs_press.amp?client=safari
. . .
Yankees announce A-Rod will play final game Friday, assume position as special advisor and instructor with club. Following the game Friday, the Yankees will release Rodriguez.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Surprised he's quitting now being only 4 homers shy of 700.
ORAggieFan
Ion owe he won't get into the HoF any time soon, but if he did, what hat he wear?
LeFraud
Probably a hat with A-Rod across the front.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Yankees are cleaning house, I have no doubt that tex and a rod were encouraged to retire
Token
AG
tex was a free agent to be, alex was forced to retire
BMX Bandit
quote:
Ion owe he won't get into the HoF any time soon, but if he did, what hat he wear?

Yankees. Not even a debate
Say Chowdah
AG
Chin music his first at bat on Friday!

Yeah!
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:
Surprised he's quitting now being only 4 homers shy of 700.

His only option would be to sign on another team hoping they give him enough at bats.

The Yankees weren't letting him play again.
ORAggieFan
quote:
quote:

How would it not be a debate? He had better seasons with the M's (and pre roids). Not that I want him representing Seattle, but it's plenty debatable.
CampingAg
AG
Yanks aren't contending. What's the motive in not letting him finish the season? Let him chase 700 and fill some seats.
Mr. White
quote:

You were driving when you typed this, weren't you?
Ag_07
AG
quote:
Yanks aren't contending. What's the motive in not letting him finish the season? Let him chase 700 and fill some seats.

I'm not so sure they want him to pass 700. Too much a PR nightmare.

And I think they also may have told him they weren't playing him anymore. Used it as leverage to get him to retire.
DannyDuberstein
AG
His HR total is so tainted that they essentially ignored him passing Mays at 660. Didn't market it at all. I'm guessing avoiding another round of awkwardness is more relief than a missed opportunity.
CampingAg
AG
Good points. I now recall a milestone he recently achieved, and thinking to myself wow, the Yankees did NOTHING to market that. And look, I can't even remember what the milestone was. Guess they did a good job.
DannyDuberstein
AG
When they resigned him, they agreed to pay $6 mill each for passing Mays, Ruth, Aaron, and Bonds as part of a marketing arrangement. But since he got busted, they claimed he made the marketing opportunity worthless, so they didn't market passing Mays and didn't pay him the incentive.
BMX Bandit
1506 games v 790 games
351 HR v 189 HR

DannyDuberstein
AG
League Mvp's with Yankees - 2
League MVP's with Mariners - 0

Rings with Yankees-1
Rings with Mariners-0
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

How would it not be a debate? He had better seasons with the M's (and pre roids). Not that I want him representing Seattle, but it's plenty debatable.
Because it isn't a debate. He'd go in as a Yankee. End of story...
knoxtom
Arod is having such a bad year that he will retire before finishing the season.

4 of the Astros 9 starters are having worse seasons

Tell me again how lunhow is doing well
mhayden
He'll go in as a Yankee, but would be funny if they decided to put him in without a logo.
ce1994
AG
I really do not see Rodriguez ever coming back to baseball in any capacity. He has plenty of money and knows how great he was.
CampingAg
AG
quote:
I really do not see Rodriguez ever coming back to baseball in any capacity. He has plenty of money and knows how great he was.

He's staying on as a "special advisor"
ce1994
AG
"special" meaning don't call us we will call you. The Yankees are done with him.
ce1994
AG
It says quite a bit when they would not even let him finish the season.
Token
AG
quote:
he is respected by lots of players in the MLB who he's mentored throughout his career, including cano, michael young, etc. He definitely would coach in some capacity in the league or transition to the booth, where he did a pretty decent job during last year's playoffs.
COOL LASER FALCON
If Barry Bonds can come back and be a hitting coach, so can A-Rod.
mazag08
AG
quote:
Arod is having such a bad year that he will retire before finishing the season.

4 of the Astros 9 starters are having worse seasons

Tell me again how lunhow is doing well
Luhnow's job is to give Hinch the talent to win. If Hinch can't win with three top 100 prospects (these aren't Luhnows rankings) to fill gaps during the season, what do we have to do for Hinch to win?
mhayden
"three Top 100 prospects" doesn't really tell you a whole lot though. A large percentage of Top 100 prospects don't ever contribute positively to big league club, much less in their first year.

The holes in the lineup are Castro, Gomez and Gattis... Gomez has obviously been a case of bad luck, but Castro and Gomez are putting up production that isn't all that unlike what they've done in the past.

IMO the problem Houston has is that they are/were expecting all this young talent to all click in succession -- Altuve, then Correa, then Bregman, etc... and when it doesn't you are left with major holes in your lineup. The way you alleviate this is spending money in free agency to allow yourself to give some of those guys a taste of the bigs before leaning on them to produce. Imagine if Texas had to lean on Gallo (the first time around) all season long.

If Houston ponied up and had just a Top 15 payroll, thats an extra $36/million a year you could be paying a couple of bats.

With a Top 5 ERA, imagine what the Astros team would look like with a couple of $18m/year proven bats in the lineup?
Hamburger Dan
He could coach. But how much credibility will he have. I know he's not the only cheater, but he's one of the biggest and most arrogant. He was talented, but will you ever know just how much of it as him - or from the pharmacy.
CampingAg
AG
I read Mariano Rivera's biography a few years back, and one thing that still sticks with me is the snippet when he said that A-Rod was the smartest player he ever played with. He does seem to have a coaching mind.
njohn87
AG
He was really good on TV last year during the playoffs too.

I know he's made his bed in any ways, but I feel bad for A-Rod. Steroids or no, when you look at how many lesser players have gotten such a warm sendoff, it's hard not to feel the guy deserves better. Steroids just gave people who already hated A-Rod because he was a such weirdo a more legitimate reason to hate him.
Token
AG
quote:
He could coach. But how much credibility will he have. I know he's not the only cheater, but he's one of the biggest and most arrogant. He was talented, but will you ever know just how much of it as him - or from the pharmacy.
you are aware that there are probably plenty of players who took PEDs coaching in the MLB, right? bonds, McGwire, etc are currently coaching and I'm sure there are others who are around as well

Oh and I find it quite hilarious and ironic that a confirmed steroid cheat in David Ortiz is getting such nice send offs
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
So, I avoided reading most of the thread because #texags, but did read the last few, so sorry if this was said already...

1) My take has been that A-Rod's personality and demeanor has changed quite a bit in recent years. The collapse was rather humbling for him. There is still some of that arrogance but its not the same as before the suspension.

2) He was a fundamentally strong player and I think its a shame people can't separate that out. Bonds was also fundamentally strong. Learning to swing the bat like A-Rod could turn a player into a pretty good hitter.

Keep them out of the Hall of Fame for what they did to damage the game, but MLB players are smart enough to look at A-Rod's swing and realize the guy flat-out knew how to swing the bat.

In the end, it always comes down to whether a guy can coach or not and I'm not sure there is much correlation between their performances as a hitter and their ability to coach.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.