A-Roid presser this morning at 10am central time

4,225 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Gramercy Riffs
mhayden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think some are assuming the disdain for A-Rod derives solely from the positive drug test or his "weird personality".

There are three teams that naturally the bulk of his fanbase would come from -- the Seattle Mariners, the Texas Rangers and the New York Yankees.

Yankees - We've all seen what has gone on the last few years and why Yankees fans who want the best for their team would not be happy with A-Rod.

Mariners - Justified or not, many M's fan are still mad that A-Rod left for the big pay day and wasn't loyal to Seattle (even though history showed he made moves that favored his first team more-so than many players do).

Rangers - In a 60 Minutes interview he basically threw the Rangers franchise under the bus, claiming that he never did PED's while in Seattle and hasn't/hadn't done them as a Yankee (which we learned later was of coursea lie). It was that bad Texas clubhouse that got him using. An easy scapegoat because on the national baseball landscape no one really cared about Texas (and they were still mostly viewed as clowns because of the contract they gave him -- again, not necessarily justified). Then he went on to say that he was playing with a "bunch of kids" in Texas.

When your rival fanbases are naturally going to hate you and you rub the 3 fanbases you've played for the wrong way, then you haven't got a whole lotta fans left.
TXAggie2011
AG

quote:
I think some are assuming the disdain for A-Rod derives solely from the positive drug test or his "weird personality".
With regards to what?

Yankees, Rangers, and Mariners fans don't have to like him in order for him to coach somewhere. Nor does he need fans of some other franchise to have a positive, fan of A-Rod like admiration for him in order for him to coach somewhere.
TXAggie2011
AG
Or work, without coaching, somewhere in baseball.
mhayden
My post wasn't in response to his ability to coach, simply those questioning why A-Rod's "send-off" isn't as sweet as some other steroid users.
TXAggie2011
Say Chowdah
AG
The disdain for Arod lies in his arrogance and his repeated lies.

He was busted the second time and then tried to sue just about everyone from owners to the guys who sweep the stands!

It is fairly apparant that his teammates don't like him very much and opponents don't like him at all and his own ownership couldn't stand the thought of him in the same town as them!

You get that type of reputation and even the Yankee fans are saying good riddance!

But, that has nothing to do with whether he can coach or not. Most fans can't name a single coach beyond the manager or pitching coach...

ARod will become obscure for a few years and then one day may emerge as a manager.
BMX Bandit
The disdain for ARod started long before he was ever accused of steroids

I think it all stems from his choosing to play in Texas. He didn't go to the "big market" like media expected. So painted as greedy & selfish from that point forward.

That's not to say he wasn't greedy & selfish. He certainly earned a lot of his negative press. But the media narrative was set long ago & once set, rarely does it change.
Say Chowdah
AG
The Sox aren't doing anything for Arod's departure! (Although I am sure the fans will let him know their collective opinions on the man).

That makes me very happy!

http://nesn.com/2016/08/reports-red-sox-not-planning-alex-rodriguez-tribute-in-final-fenway-series/
Mr.Bond
AG
ARod to Miami
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
The Sox aren't doing anything for Arod's departure! (Although I am sure the fans will let him know their collective opinions on the man).

They booed the **** out of him for every AB, and then gave him a nice ovation at the end. He also stayed on the field after the game for a LONG time talking to reporters and fans, and even brought a kid onto the field and signed a bat for him. I never read who the kid was, but he sat right by the on deck circle and A-Rod talked to him before every AB.
The Anchor
AG
It was probably his kid!
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Found an article. Looks like it was a random Yankee fan. Makes sense that they had a deal - A-Rod talked to the kid for about ten minutes just waiting for someone to bring him a marker that worked.

[url]http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2016/08/12/195099682/alex-rodriguez-delivers-bat-to-fan-at-fenway-reduces-another-to-tears[/url]

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.