*** NBA 2023 Off-Season Thread ***

15,894 Views | 227 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Iowaggie
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bulls offering Zach LaVine for #3.

I guess with the Ball injury, Chicago is ready to go into tank mode rather than overpay to keep Vuvucic.
Iowaggie
AG
What will Austin Reaves get this off-season?
M.C. Swag
AG
I think Portland should keep the pick or maybe trade back to like pick 5 or 6. Their roster is actually pretty good right now if they simply re-sign all their FAs. At a minimum they should pay Grant and 1 of Reddish/Thubulle (whichever they like the most).

After that, I'd select my 3rd favorite player in this draft; Taylor Hendricks. He would fit like a glove in Portland and would probably start on day 1.
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I think Portland should keep the pick or maybe trade back to like pick 5 or 6. Their roster is actually pretty good right now if they simply re-sign all their FAs. At a minimum they should pay Grant and 1 of Reddish/Thubulle (whichever they like the most).

After that, I'd select my 3rd favorite player in this draft; Taylor Hendricks. He would fit like a glove in Portland and would probably start on day 1.

Hendricks would give them 3s and upgrade defense.

Nurkic, Grant, Hendricks, Simons, Dame would be a solid starting five, but they aren't winning a title with that team.

If Scoot is there, I trade Dame if I can get a Paul George type haul.
M.C. Swag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Hendricks would give them 3s and upgrade defense.

Nurkic, Grant, Hendricks, Simons, Dame would be a solid starting five, but they aren't winning a title with that team.

If Scoot is there, I trade Dame if I can get a Paul George type haul.
Ya i mean, sure, they wouldn't be a title favorite but that's kinda putting the cart before the horse. Btw, if they trade Dame, they're also not winning a title lol. (Also, the "PG haul" sounds great in theory, but someone would still have to make that offer. Like, sure go ahead and do that if it's available, but that's unlikely.)

All I'm saying is that they're in a good spot to take a really good prospect that would improve their roster Day 1. I'd take the pick and see what damage I could do in a clustered Western conference. They could always trade Dame later, he's not going anywhere soon with that deal just kicking in.
Guitarsoup
AG
They are saying they want to win now with Dame. I don't see that happening no matter what they do.

Dame tweets this week seen to say he's ready to walk.
M.C. Swag
AG
Ya well then good luck to Dame. Not sure what teams out there can trade for a $45m player that would also be able to compete but best of luck to them!
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Ya well then good luck to Dame. Not sure what teams out there can trade for a $45m player that would also be able to compete but best of luck to them!

Still a better choice for Houston than Harden
Guitarsoup
AG
Who says no?

Atl trades:

Trae Young

NOLA trades:

Zion Williamson

Atl has Dejounte Murray to run the point and Zion is a legit superstar when playing.

NOLA has Hubert Jones, who is a great defender plus CJ McCollum can move back to SG where he is better. Trae, CJ, Ingram, Jonas and maybe Leonard Miller with their first rounder.
M.C. Swag
AG
Nola says nothing and just hangs up the phone
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Nola says nothing and just hangs up the phone

Zion has played 28% of his games for them
M.C. Swag
AG
And looks like 150% of the player lol
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

And looks like 150% of the player lol
>200% easily. 165 to 325lbs?

I don't think Zion loves basketball. I think he loves getting big paychecks and eating poboys and isn't playing despite being able
M.C. Swag
AG
Maybe, but that's fine. You don't have to love what you do to be great at it. Lol Brooks Koepka just proved that today winning his 5th major
Guitarsoup
AG
I think not loving it is why he isn't getting in shape and why he isn't showing up to train.

What nba stars do you build a franchise around that don't love or work hard at basketball?
M.C. Swag
AG
He's still young. He has the talent to be the guy a franchise is built around. Young doesn't. Simple as that. Easier to fix attitude than talent.
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

He's still young. He has the talent to be the guy a franchise is built around. Young doesn't. Simple as that. Easier to fix attitude than talent.
I don't think you can fix attitude. New Orleans has done a pretty good job of putting talent around him with Ingram, McCollum, Jones, Murphy, and Jonas. He just doesn't want to play and New Orleans brass is saying as much.

C: Jonas
PF: Trey III / Nance
SF: Ingram / Jones
SG McCollum / JRich
PG: Trae / Dyson Daniels

Need to add some big guys in free agency or in the draft, but that is a solid team. A lot better than what they have with Zion no showing.
Guitarsoup
AG

Hawks congratulations Hawks legend Carmelo Anthony on retirement
Dan Scott
AG
Dude announced his retirement after nobody picked him up all year. His final season in LA wasn't terrible but he gives off dewshy vibes as evident by posting a YouTube video to announce retirement after sitting out all year
Guitarsoup
AG
Dan Scott said:

Dude announced his retirement after nobody picked him up all year. His final season in LA wasn't terrible but he gives off dewshy vibes as evident by posting a YouTube video to announce retirement after sitting out all year

He's been irrelevant for so long. I didn't even realize he didn't play this year
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

The Houston Rockets have long been a rumored destination, but sources say Harden will only entertain suitors that present a competitive roster and the basketball freedom for the star to be himself, sources say.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10076396-nba-sources-james-harden-to-become-free-agent-intel-on-cp3-ty-lue-and-more
Quote:

The Phoenix Suns are likely to guarantee the full salary of star guard Chris Paul for the 2023-24 season, league sources tell Bleacher Report.

Guitarsoup
AG
Golden State's GM's contract is up July 1st, and both sides are digging in and not close to a deal.

They have a huge summer with the collapse, the age, Draymond a free agents and punching teammates in a the face.
Guitarsoup
AG
Lakers taking about putting together a package for Trae Young according to The Athletic
Obi Wan Ginobili
Guitarsoup said:

Lakers taking about putting together a package for Trae Young according to The Athletic

They have to try something, because I doubt they can win it all with their current roster. Trae doesn't feel right for them but what do I know. Maybe the threat of AD and LeBron roaming around will give Trae enough space to get back to top offensive form. Honest question though, is he capable of setting up AD and Bron? He's just so impossibly selfish.
Guitarsoup
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Guitarsoup said:

They have to try something, because I doubt they can win it all with their current roster. Trae doesn't feel right for them but what do I know. Maybe the threat of AD and LeBron roaming around will give Trae enough space to get back to top offensive form. Honest question though, is he capable of setting up AD and Bron? He's just so impossibly selfish.

I think offensively he can set them up, but I'm not sure that his offense outweighs that he's the worst defensive player in the nba
Iowaggie
AG
Dan Scott said:

Agree on the vibes of that video. I think the evidence against Carmelo was pretty strong when LeBron and the Lakers had him in for the 21-22 season, and when trying to put together this year's team, they decided that a Patrick Beverly tryout might be a better option.
Guitarsoup
AG
Serious Question: is Melo the worst NBA player to ever win the scoring title?

Other contenders:
Alex English
Adrian Dantley (he won twice and averaged 30/6/4 from 80-86)

Melo made the 75th anniversary team, but Dantley and English didn't
Iowaggie
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Guitarsoup said:

Trae was top 3 in apg this year. He is, like Harden, a very capable passer. He also can be good moving without the ball, when he wants to be.

I don't know what appealing package the Lakers can put together to get Trae Young, unless it includes Austin Reaves or several teams since Trae is a $40 mm/year player. If the rumors are true Atlanta probably feels the Trae Young experience is ready to end.

I really think I'd rather have Emo Reaves + extra money over Trae. (If that's the deal, and it probably isn't, but I don't know what the Lakers can really offer to get those salaries aligned)
Guitarsoup
AG
Lakers don't have any picks to add and Reaves, Rui, and DLO are all FAs.
superunknown
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Serious Question: is Melo the worst NBA player to ever win the scoring title?

Other contenders:
Alex English
Adrian Dantley (he won twice and averaged 30/6/4 from 80-86)

Melo made the 75th anniversary team, but Dantley and English didn't

Max zasolosky of the Chicago stags was garbage.

On a serious note, I will say that Melo was an absolute bucket for a few hot years back in the day. Very pure scorer, maybe the best one I've ever seen live at the arena. Plus...let's be real, his last 3-4 seasons he was pretty washed but he also would do the dirty work to make up for being washed. Someone on Twitter the other night posted a quality montages of his "FOH I got it" callouts when he was rebounding and it was great.
Iowaggie
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I think the Lakers can do a draft night trade.
I also think they are going to keep Rui and Reaves, and possibly DLo if the price is right.

My point is I don't see a way to do a deal for Trae because there just isn't enough appealing players on that Lakers roster, but I suppose a 3 or 4 team trade could somehow be created.
superunknown
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Iowaggie said:

Guitarsoup said:

I think the Lakers can do a draft night trade.
I also think they are going to keep Rui and Reaves, and possibly DLo if the price is right.

My point is I don't see a way to do a deal for Trae because there just isn't enough appealing players on that Lakers roster, but I suppose a 3 or 4 team trade could somehow be created.
Yeah, that was my point, too. They don't have assets Atlanta would want.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
I think some other guys you could argue are Nique, Tiny Archibald, and Pistol Pete.
Guitarsoup
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

I think some other guys you could argue are Nique, Tiny Archibald, and Pistol Pete.
I'd take Pete all day over Melo. Maybe that's a super homer take. If Pete played today's game, he would be Steph.

Tiny was top ten in MVP voting 6 times. Melo was twice. Tiny also was starting PG on a championship team. I think he is more like Walton, career cut by injuries.

Nique finished 2nd to Jordan in scoring like half a dozen times and top 10 in MVP voting 6 times.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.