Cubes got screwed

2,053 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Lake08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
750k for resting players? Didn't every team in the league do this? Why does it matter if it's the last game? I know why they were doing it, but it shouldn't matter
M.C. Swag
AG
Lake08 said:

750k for resting players? Didn't every team in the league do this? Why does it matter if it's the last game? I know why they were doing it, but it shouldn't matter
I'll never feel bad for Cuban. I hope the $750k fine puts him in bankruptcy.

But you're not wrong. The NBA is fine with teams tanking as aggressively as they want; but you can't talk about it. That's why the Mavs were fined.
Know Your Enemy
AG
They were fighting for a spot in the play in tournament with 2 games left and they sat their whole damn roster (Luka played a quarter). You don't see why the league would have an issue with that?
M.C. Swag
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

They were fighting for a spot in the play in tournament with 2 games left and they sat their whole damn roster (Luka played a quarter). You don't see why the league would have an issue with that?
No, because literally 9/10 of the NBA did the same thing and there were no other punishments.

Before the Bulls tipoff, the only path to the 10 seed required:
  • Mavs beat the Bulls & Spurs (Mavs havent won consecutive games since Feb. 10)
  • OKC lose to the Grizzlies.

The first part was entirely within their control. The second part was not.

The Mavs knew that winning even 1 game would knock them out of the bottom 10 records and put them at a 90% of losing their pick. Additionally, they knew that the Grizzlies had nothing to play for. They were locked into the #2 seed and were likely to sit every single starter (they did), at which point OKC would be the likely victor (they won).

With that knowledge, even if the Mavs won out, they would still miss the play in but now they would be without a pick. I'm sorry but the pearl clutching is insane. The Mavs absolutely should be made fun of, but not for what they did on game 81 of the regular season. They should be made fun of for the 80 games before that.

And the *tsk tsk*-ing from fans of the Pistons, Blazers, Spurs, Rockets, Jazz etc for the Mavs doing EXACTLY what those franchises have been doing all season for 2 games, is insane to me. The only tangible difference is that the Mavs said the quiet part out loud. Which is all the NBA cares about.
mavsfan4ever
AG
They should be fined more just bc they were dumb enough to say the quiet part out loud. Cuban should take the fine out of kidd's paycheck. Once I heard his interview I figured the fine would be more than $750k.

Just add it to the list of dumb things kidd has done this year.
hph6203
AG
I think you're silly if you think Cuban is at all upset about the fine and quite frankly is probably happy about it because it gives him an opportunity to go to the media and talk about how dumb it is, how they were losing on purpose, and will bait the NBA into fining him yet again like they have in the past.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I don't think Cuban cares at all about a fine. But it was still stupid for kidd to say all he said.
GigEmMortis
AG
M.C. Swag said:

And the *tsk tsk*-ing from fans of the Pistons, Blazers, Spurs, Rockets, Jazz etc for the Mavs doing EXACTLY what those franchises have been doing all season for 2 games, is insane to me. The only tangible difference is that the Mavs said the quiet part out loud. Which is all the NBA cares about.
It's not entirely an apples to apples comparison. You look at the Mavericks roster, they should be better than 11th place in the West. It's not like Houston is intentionally throwing games for good picks. All of the stars from the 2018-2020 teams are gone, and it's now a squad of 19-21 year olds. The Rockets aren't intentionally losing, they are just bad and young.

And for the record, I have zero issues with what Cuban and Dallas did. But to act like it's the exact same situation in Houston, San Antonio and Detroit is misleading and not true.
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol I said IN THAT POST that the Mavs deserve ridicule for being as bad as they were…..but that didn't happen on game 81 of the regular season. THAT was my point. Anyone who is feigning indignation at the idea of the Mavs tanking on April 8th better check their franchise.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.