Durant to Golden State

12,402 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Saint Pablo
amercer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
None. I'm a rockets fan, I know we have zero chance in the finals and have hated our offseason. I also realize that the NBA was at its best in the late 80s to early 90s when there were superstars spread out amongst the league. Right now we have clusters of superstars in GSW, Cleveland, San Antonio and Boston is eventually going to have a few when they all grow up plus Horford. Those are your final four teams next year and I don't have to watch an ounce of basketball between November and May to tell you that.

That's why I hate the NBA, such a predictable league and the players have the weakest mindsets.

The lakers, Celtics, Bulls and Pistons all had 3+ HOF guys on those great teams.

Teams were built differently because of salary cap and free agency rules, but there were only a few great teams and they were great because they had 3 or more of the top 15 guys in the game.
dreyOO
quote:
quote:
No there hasn't been. Can't even imagine Isiah Thomas dropping the pistons to play with MJ.

Such a wimp move. I hope LeBron beats em again
Free Agency was not the same 30 years ago as it is now. I'll never understand why people try to compare different eras of CBAs

Era doesnt matter. Or do you think Durant is a mentally tough leader with this? It's a ***** move.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's the perfect move for him. Doesn't have the stones to lead a team to a title, so the coattail method is the best fit.
aggiegriff09
AG
Rockets, Knicks, Magic, Sonics, Jazz, Hawks

All those teams were great, had hall of fame players and only one of them won a championship, but they all had multiple superstars. The teams were built differently and that's what was so great, draft and development meant something. Now it's all about playing with your friends and easiest path to a championship.

Championships aren't supposed to be easy.
Iowaggie
AG
quote:
No there hasn't been. Can't even imagine Isiah Thomas dropping the pistons to play with MJ.

Such a wimp move. I hope LeBron beats em again

The more compariable would be MJ leaving the Bulls after the Pistons eliminated the Bulls before the Bulls ever won a championship.

The Pistons (Warriors) were the champs eliminating the good young team that couldn't make it to the top with the superstar (MJ/Durant).
letters at random
What year did Shaq leave Orlando to go to LA?
BMX Bandit
quote:

Had he joined the rockets, that would be like what Durant is doing
superunknown
AG
quote:
Will gsw have cap room to sign curry to max deal next summer?

Don't need cap room to re-sign your own players.
att hello
quote:
quote:

What?
Frok
AG
Blah, what a crappy move. OKC was just on the verge of winning it all. KD would have got all the glory along with it.

Now if he wins he will get very little credit.
West Point Aggie
AG
Good..:they're serious about getting back the title that slipped away!!
Token
AG
quote:
Blah, what a crappy move. OKC was just on the verge of winning it all. KD would have got all the glory along with it.

lol OKC was not on the verge of winning it all. Durant had already gone to the finals with OKC
W
AG
Wow and wow again
superunknown
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

What?

DON'T NEED CAP ROOM TO RE-SIGN YOUR OWN PLAYERS.
W
AG
quote:
Rockets, Knicks, Magic, Sonics, Jazz, Hawks

All those teams were great, had hall of fame players and only one of them won a championship, but they all had multiple superstars. The teams were built differently and that's what was so great, draft and development meant something. Now it's all about playing with your friends and easiest path to a championship.

Championships aren't supposed to be easy.
Phoenix and San Antonio were good too during the 93-94 & 94-95 seasons. The talent was definitely spread around more
Texas A&M
Durant took the easy way out.
West Point Aggie
AG
OKC is the new Orlando after Shaq left...haha!
AgPediRPh
AG
Pulling for GSW + Durant to blow a 3-1 lead in the playoffs again
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Not without Mark Cuban's help.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
quote:

lol OKC was not on the verge of winning it all. Durant had already gone to the finals with OKC

Huh? They were up 3-1 in the Conference Finals and playing their best ball of the year with a talented roster. They could have won the title this year if the ball had bounced a little differently. Oh, and then they upgraded their roster during the draft. That was definitely a championship caliber team.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:

Had he joined the rockets, that would be like what Durant is doing
More like Bulls. Jordan back. Shaq, Jordan, Pippen.
BMX Bandit
I used rockets because that's who he could not beat.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:

And after they went to the Finals, OKC traded away Harden, Thabo, Ibaka, and Perkins away.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Okay, so now Golden State can play the following 'Super Deathstar Small Ball' lineup:

Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Andre Iguodala
Kevin Freaking Durant
Draymond Green

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

They won't be able to just trot that lineup out all the time, but we'll see it in bursts no doubt to destroy opponents (maybe to finish halves for sure?) but not sure we've ever seen a 'small ball' lineup like that...you got THREE elite of the elite scorers in the league (Curry, Thompson, Durant) plus 4 elite defenders (Thompson, Iguodala, Durant, Green) and given that Durant is 6'10" the lineup isn't even all that 'small' any more.

Defensively, I don't know how you stop that lineup. You can't really double anybody. If you do, you are sooooo likely to get absolutely burned.
Ulrich
Two elite defenders. Thompson is solid and Durant is mediocre. Insane scoring lineup though.
Post removed:
by user
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm not ready to see them handed the title or anything. I think there is at least the chance that it ends up an odd mix that doesn't mesh as well in a grinder playoff series.
West Texan
AG
When did Durant become an "elite" defender?
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Two elite defenders. Thompson is solid and Durant is mediocre. Insane scoring lineup though.

Durant led OKC in rebounding last season and his defense has been moving to elite over his career. He was fantastic vs the Warriors defensively.
Guitarsoup
AG
att hello
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What?

Larry Bird allows you to sign for over cap but that doesn't mean it's unlimited or they don't count against cap at all.
superunknown
AG
And?
Ulrich
You're allowed to go over the soft cap with the Bird exception, but you still have to pay the tax (which gets really expensive really fast) and you still can't exceed the hard cap. They are super talented, but their depth is pretty much gone. The max is 25-30% of the cap and they have four max players.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What?

Larry Bird allows you to sign for over cap but that doesn't mean it's unlimited or they don't count against cap at all.
It actually is unlimited. Everyone on your team that you have Bird rights to, you can sign for the max. Your payroll could be ridiculous.

But it also counts against the luxury tax, which is very punitive now.
Ulrich
I didn't realize there was no hard cap for Bird rights.

Still, the tax is nuts especially after the first year. Anyone remember when certain posters thought the Nets were going to be good? Even Prokhorov wasn't willing to pay the tax.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.