*****"USMNT" vs Slovenia*****

2,293 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by PatAg
shack009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Terry?
shack009
AG
What a ball forward. Who passed that?
Rudyjax
AG
shack009 said:

Terry?

Baja?
Rudyjax
AG
Good job San Antonio fans.
Rudyjax
AG
Thoughts?

Rudyjax
AG
Rudyjax said:

shack009 said:

Terry?

Baja?

Apparently at NE on his shirt it's Esmir. I'm good with that!

Rudyjax
AG
tysker
AG
Eligible for next 2 olympic cycles
Rudyjax
AG
tysker said:

Eligible for next 2 olympic cycles

Man. I hope for the following cycle he's unreleasable by a major European club.
Furlock Bones
AG
thoughts. SOS with a Gregg run squad. it is a nepotistic joke he was made manager in the first place much less rehired. we are going into the most important WC in the history of the US with a B-/C+ level manager.
deadbq03
AG
First hiring was absolutely a joke.

But I have a suspicion the 2nd hiring was largely due to a lack of clearly better options. By that I mean that we cant afford anyone amazing, and other rumored candidates (Marsch, Henry, etc) came with plenty of question marks too. I think it turned into a "devil you know" situation.

That said, it was still incredibly disappointing and I wish we had given someone else a chance.
Furlock Bones
AG
I have heard we can only pay what we pay the women's coach now. Which is just absurd if true.
akm91
AG
He has excellent ball control when he's dribbling with the ball very close to his feet. Seems to be fairly strong for his age which allows him to ride challenges and not get separated from the ball.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
akm91
AG
It's hard to pry good coaches away from club football in top Euro leagues Hell, even Ancelotti turned down Brasil to say with Real.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
deadbq03
AG
No doubt.

When you look at recent World Cup winning coaches, they fit one of two molds:

A) Coaches from successful, prominent teams within the country's domestic league (Deschamps, del Bosque, Lippi)
B) Coaches with ho-him club careers who were assistants/youth for the national team and were promoted from within (Scaloni, Loew)

So to your point, successful club coaches seem to only really be tempted by their own country. And in many cases, they make the move after a fall from grace (del Bosque)… they don't do it in their prime.

We simply can't do option A… At least not until MLS is good enough that a good number of our starting 11 is MLS (and not for lack of better options but because MLS guys are good enough to beat out guys in Europe… seems like a pipe dream right now but I think we could get there someday in the distant future).

So that leaves us with option B. Guys who have seen the inner working of the program and have a vision for the way they would steer it instead.

I liked how we looked under Hudson's interim stint… if we had to go cheap, I would've rather we hired him than go back to Ggg.
shack009
AG
Furlock Bones said:

I have heard we can only pay what we pay the women's coach now. Which is just absurd if true.
I believe they have only officially committed to equal pay for the players. The current coaches happen to make the same because GGG is a terrible coach and the USWNT just went and money-whipped the best women's coach (from what I understand, I have no idea who the best women's coach is lol).

I think I read/heard that they were willing to pay more for a USMNT head coach during the search. I guess it just turned out that the job is not as appealing as we had hoped.
PatAg
AG
a lot of it depends on who is actually available when you are looking
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.