Oregon State Men's Soccer Team Used an Ineligible Player to Reach College Cup

1,853 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Ghost of Andrew Eaton
mullokmotx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oregon State used an ineligible player to beat North Carolina last weekend in the Elite 8. Javier Armas accumulated his 8th yellow card for the season in the previous game against SMU and was not eligible to play against UNC, but he played 90 minutes and Oregon State won. UNC put out a tweet yesterday about this, and they are, well, disappointed.. The story is on a site called Tar Heels Wire.

I found this on "NCAA Soccer Rules Questions and Interpretations 2022 Season, Volume 4":
Caution accumulation. Players or coaches who have less than five cautions entering the postseason will not be subject to suspension for caution accumulation until their eighth yellow card. Players or coaches who have received five or more during the regular season will be suspended for caution accumulation after receiving their eighth yellow card (regular and postseason combined). Players and coaches who are suspended for reaching the eight (8) yellow card threshold are subject to further suspension for accumulation for each two yellow cards received thereafter (i.e., totals of 10, 12, etc.)"

If UNC had checked Oregon State's website they might have seen that he had 8 yellow cards.

mullokag
jeffk
AG
Saw this the other day on Twitter too. Crazy that UNC didn't know and that OSU thought they could get away with playing him. Armas isn't some bench player; he's an all-American and arguably the best player on their whole team.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Struggling with this one. I see that the coach and player are now suspended for the semifinal. This does not feel fair to UNC
AggieRob93
AG
Agree.

OR St should have to vacate prior win and forfeit. Seems like the correct thing to do.
BQ_90
AG
Whose responsibility is,it to keep track of eligible players? NCAA or,the school
jeffk
AG
BQ_90 said:

Whose responsibility is,it to keep track of eligible players? NCAA or,the school

Shared responsibility.
mullokmotx
AG
Watched the replay of the start of the Oregon State-Notre Dame semifinal played Friday. The announcers said Oregon State reported the violation on Tuesday December 5, 3 days after the UNC game. The punishment was announced on the 7th; 2 games for the player and 4 for the coach, which is apparently what the NCAA guidelines are.
mullokag
mullokmotx
AG
It's hard for me to believe that neither the Oregon State coach nor any of his 4 assistants knew that the player would have to sit out after his 8th yellow card. Looking at the Oregon State website the player picked up his 5th yellow card on September 30 and then did not play in the next game on October 5. So they must have been familiar with the rules. The player picked up his 7th yellow card on October 19.
I hope the NCAA takes another look at this and an appropriate punishment would be banning Oregon State from the tournament next year.
mullokag
Furlock Bones
AG
I heard about this. I don't see how Oregon St didn't have to forfeit the game. quite honestly absurd.
Mathguy64
AG
If this were a HS game in Texas, they would absolutely forfeit that game and the loser would advance.

UIL doesn't mess around.
Furlock Bones
AG
Mathguy64 said:

If this were a HS game in Texas, they would absolutely forfeit that game and the loser would advance.

UIL doesn't mess around.
1998 Texas High School playoffs deprived us all of the Katy Tiger vs Midland Lee (Cedric Benson first championship) when a kid at Katy forged his progress report. Stood on the sidelines for 95% of the semifinal game. I don't remember if ever even actually played a snap. But, let's say he did. It was inconsequential. But, Katy was kicked out and Ft Bend went on to get pummeled by Midland Lee.
Mathguy64
AG
Well to be fair, the University of Katy has spent a fair amount of time acting like cross between a SWC school and a NASCAR team.

"If you ain't cheatin', you aint tryin'". And "it's not Cheatin' unless you get caught"
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Furlock Bones said:

Mathguy64 said:

UIL doesn't mess around.
1998 Texas High School playoffs deprived us all of the Katy Tiger vs Midland Lee (Cedric Benson first championship) when a kid at Katy forged his progress report. Stood on the sidelines for 95% of the semifinal game. I don't remember if ever even actually played a snap. But, let's say he did. It was inconsequential. But, Katy was kicked out and Ft Bend went on to get pummeled by Midland Lee.
While harsh, it doesn't matter. The coaches should have checked to make sure the progress report "grade change" was authentic like the policy that was created in reaction to the event required.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Mathguy64 said:

Well to be fair, the University of Katy has spent a fair amount of time acting like cross between a SWC school and a NASCAR team.

"If you ain't cheatin', you aint tryin'". And "it's not Cheatin' unless you get caught"
Such an uninformed take. Katy doesn't have to recruit. The kids come to them.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Mathguy64
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Mathguy64 said:

The UIL violations at Katy HS, specifically the football program in the '90s and 00's, are well documented. I stand by what I wrote.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Mathguy64 said:

Mathguy64 said:

The UIL violations at Katy HS, specifically the football program in the '90s and 00's, are well documented. I stand by what I wrote.
Which ones specifically?
Mathguy64
AG

Mathguy64 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Which ones specifically?

I'm not your research assistant. Google them. The last time was 2015 and 2016.

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Quote:

Katy High School self-reported the use of an ineligible player during one game of the UIL football post season. The State Executive Committee granted Katy High School's appeal for an exception under UIL rules on forfeiture of contests. Without an exception from the State Executive Committee, the minimum penalty for playing an ineligible player is forfeiture of the contest.

Based on the facts presented, it was determined that Katy High School and Katy ISD did sufficient diligence in determining the eligibility of the student involved and will not have to forfeit the contest in which the ineligible student participated.

Katy High School was issued a public reprimand and one-year probation. The ineligible student is ineligible for the remainder of the football season.
I hate that I'm standing up for KHS. They made a mistake but they weren't cheating.
jeffk
AG
Don't you coach down that way? Ask some old heads. Sniff around.
Furlock Bones
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Mathguy64 said:

LMAO.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
jeffk said:

Don't you coach down that way? Ask some old heads. Sniff around.
I do. The kids come to them. It's no different than how kids move into certain areas to for academics as well.
jeffk
AG
Success definitely breeds success. But also the way things currently are is a product of a lot of history, some of which definitely involved some skirting around competition rules.

My first coaching gig was in N. Houston with some old old old coaching legends. (One of them helped Bellard invent the wishbone.) Learned a ton from them over the years and I loved hearing them share stories of days gone by. Let's just say that the SWC way of moving talent wasn't limited to the collegiate game.
Mathguy64
AG
The list of schools caught cheating is lengthy. And it still goes on. San Marcos got busted for recruiting in football a year ago.

Stephenville. Permian. SLC. It's everywhere.
Furlock Bones
AG
y'all are missing the entire point. it's a joke that UIL is more stringent than the NCAA. Oregon St absolutely should have had to forfeit.
Aggie1205
AG
UNC should try not creating fake classes and degree plans for their athletes before they worry about anyone else.
jeffk
AG
Aggie1205 said:

UNC should try not creating fake classes and degree plans for their athletes before they worry about anyone else.

FAIR
Mathguy64
AG
Aggie1205 said:

And SACSCOC should have done more than turned a blind eye there. That wasn't the NCAA failing. That was a massive failure of the accreditation system.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Furlock Bones said:

y'all are missing the entire point. it's a joke that UIL is more stringent than the NCAA. Oregon St absolutely should have had to forfeit.
It's all about money. The NCAA is struggling to maintain a hold on college football and they know that they are one bad decision away from having no power.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.