******BTHO Florida State (NCAA Tournament)******

15,072 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by taylorswift13_
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie Soccer has advanced to the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament to face the #1 team in the land, Florida State. Friday's game will kick off in Tallahassee at 4:30 Central (5:30 Local Time) and will air live on ESPN+ for subscribers.

This is a HUGE rematch for the Aggies as they opened up the season hosting Florida State. In that match, the teams played pretty much evenly with nearly identical offensive stats across the board. Unfortunately for the Aggies, an 86th minute goal by Florida State was the deciding factor and yielded a 2-1 victory for FSU. From there, Florida State cruised to a 17-0-1 season, including the ACC title, their 4th straight ACC Tournament Championship, and the #1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament. The only blemish on their record was a 3-3 midseason draw at UNC (which was a bonkers game and an instant classic btw).

Both teams look different than they did in that first game, so that first game isn't necessarily an indication of what to expect on Friday. It should be noted that A&M has looked noticeably better when they've played against good teams this season, so I am still expecting the intensity we saw in that opener.

Junior Taylor Huff (#3) scored the game winner against the Aggies in the earlier matchup. Through the season, she has accounted for 4 more goals and a team-high 12 assists.

Scoring has been led by senior Onyi Echegini (#6), who has netted 13 goals this season. Echegini share team highs in shots (56) and shots on goal (31) with freshman teammate Jordynn Dudley (#11). Dudley also has 10 goals to her name along with 7 assists. I'll note that the scorekeepers over at FSU seem to be pretty liberal in handing out assists.

In total, Florida State has scored 59 goals while allowing just 13 on the year. They have outshot opponents 336-126.

All-American Senior Cristina Roque has played every minute for FSU in goal this season. She's allowed 13 goals, while compiling 26 saves. She has 10 shutouts on the season and 36 in her career.

Not surprisingly, Florida State dominated All-ACC Awards this season:
  • Offensive Player of the Year: Onyi Echegini, Sr., M, Florida State
  • Freshman of the Year: Jordynn Dudley, Fr., F, Florida State
  • First Team All-ACC: Jody Brown, Sr., F, Florida State
  • Coach of the Year: Brian Pensky, Florida State
Speaking of coach Pensky - he came over from Tennessee last season and he didn't miss a beat as he guided Florida State to their 3rd double conference championship (regular season + tournament). Which, they of course did again this season. He's the only coach to have an ACC and SEC Championship on his mantle along with ACC and SEC Coach of the Year awards.

FSU opened NCAA Tournament play with a 5-0 victory over pushover Morehead State. A&M will certainly offer more of a challenge to Florida State, but the Seminoles have looked unbeatable this season, especially at home. As the #1 seed, they're undoubtedly the favorite in this one and the favorites to win the national championship. The Aggies will need to put together their best game of the season to have a shot to advance.
CDub06
AG
I just realized tomorrow's game is on ESPN+, which I'll certainly subscribe to for a month in order to watch. I wish I'd have realized this when I opted to listen to the basketball game on Tuesday, rather than paying for the ESPN+ subscription.
akm91
AG
Think the football game on Saturday is also on ESPN+
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
CDub06
AG
Football will be on SEC+, which you have access to if your cable package already includes the SEC Network.
Soccer1
Top Drawer Soccer:

No. 8 Texas A&M (10-7-4) at No. 1 Florida State (17-0-1) Friday, November 17th, 5:30 PM Eastern, ESPN+

No one but North Carolina has been able to get anything from Florida State this season, and with Texas A&M's 139th-ranked defense taking on the Seminoles and their 3rd-ranked offense, this has the potential for a second-round blowout.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Yikes the Vandy game really skewed the numbers

No way there are 138 teams that have a better back 4 and goal keeper combo
taylorswift13_
Soccer1 said:

Top Drawer Soccer:

No. 8 Texas A&M (10-7-4) at No. 1 Florida State (17-0-1) Friday, November 17th, 5:30 PM Eastern, ESPN+

No one but North Carolina has been able to get anything from Florida State this season, and with Texas A&M's 139th-ranked defense taking on the Seminoles and their 3rd-ranked offense, this has the potential for a second-round blowout.
they're still being babies cause we got to host in the first round and messed up their predictions
Expert Analysis
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Yikes the Vandy game really skewed the numbers

No way there are 138 teams that have a better back 4 and goal keeper combo

Currently NCAA stats show us ranked 123rd giving up 1.084 goals a game. Take away Vandy game and we move up to tie at 59th with 0.85 goals a game.
jt2hunt
AG
How many goals do we win by today?
KCup17
AG
1. I'm calling 2-1 redemption.
CDub06
AG
I like y'all's enthusiasm.
MookieBlaylock
AG
I am shocked that their program was able to switch coaches and have greater success

Sharpshooter
AG
My first visit to the soccer site. Go Ladies.
mullokmotx
AG
Wilkinson and McDonald up top to start.
mullokag
BSM
Has the game started. Espn+ app still says not started
jt2hunt
AG
Early and often!
MookieBlaylock
AG
Pante in trouble with her matchup already

AGGIEGMA9
I'm not getting it, even tho it says not started yet
6 Aggies
MookieBlaylock
AG
First 15 FSU has had the ball 90% but have no serious threats

FSU running 2 at the ball and winning it back every time

Kickball worked 1x so far

We in trouble
Jimma
It's time to put Hayes in.
Kramer
AG
No yellow there?
"The only happy Aggie is an unhappy Aggie." Shelby Metcalf
MookieBlaylock
AG
Jimma said:

It's time to put Hayes in.

Hammy- doubtful

Switched Pante to LH
CDub06
AG
Lady Luck has left us!
themissinglink
AG
Crossbar
Jimma
Crap. I wasn't aware she has an injury
MookieBlaylock
AG
#6 from FSU is headed for a yellow
CDub06
AG
I wasn't either. I was banking on a Maile PK tonight.
MookieBlaylock
AG
The Matula twins have been the 2 best Ags so far

Becccerra touched the ball 3 x

The Canadian lineup is just so bad and did nothing first 30 minutes
MookieBlaylock
AG
FSU "stadium" is terrible constant flow of traffic driving by

Not impressed
jt2hunt
AG
Did we score yet?
IMnAg79
AG
Anyone with a shot on goal yet?
Soccer1
Defensively playing well, but defense is not connecting with the midfield. Gotta stop all the long ball. It tells you a lot when we have goal kicks and Caldwell just sends it up the field instead of playing it out wide to your defenders. Coaches have no confidence with the ball at the defenders feet.
CDub06
AG
I am exhausted...
jt2hunt
AG
CDub06 said:

I am exhausted...

Grab a cold one and rest my friend!
CDub06
AG
IMnAg79 said:

Anyone with a shot on goal yet?
Mia NEARLY netted one. Off the crossbar.

I think our only actual shots on goal have been Kenna...
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.