Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

NIL… Can't put the Genie back in the bottle..

2,895 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by milner79
maroonthrunthru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Been reading a lot about Ohio State's $34 Million Coaches and NIL money dump…

Reading some of the responses on this venerable website regarding a belief that schools can attempt to put "guard rails" or measures in place to essentially keep costs down… IMHO… Ain't Happnin'….

The genie is out of the bottle thanks to the larceny and arrogance of the NCAA and their member institutions…

Instead of taking a common-sense approach to player comp decades ago, they arrogantly dug their heels in and created rules that were laughable at best…

You would think an organization as politically connected and clued-in as the NCAA was would have been able to read the societal tea leaves and been able to develop a compensation schematic that would have worked for both players and schools…. But NOOOO…

They let their arrogance write a check their FAFO butt couldn't cash…

In turn they got a 9-0 butt kicking in the SCOTUS…

Now, no player is going to let them put those "guard rails" in place…. It will be a free for all for a long time…
Josepi
AG
Except what is happening now is not sustainable, and it's not long until change happens.

There has been a ton written about it, so it's not worth rehashing here, but we are only a few years away from Schools paying the players and players having contracts.

Players being paid though….yeah, that's never going back.
tk for tu juan
https://www.ncaa.org/news/2024/4/22/media-center-division-i-board-of-directors-ratifies-transfer-nil-rule-changes.aspx

Quote:

Effective immediately, Division I student-athletes have access to additional school assistance with name, image and likeness activities and more flexibility to transfer, the Division I Board of Directors decided Monday when it affirmed action taken last week by the Division I Council.
Schools can identify NIL opportunities and facilitate deals between student-athletes and third parties. Student-athletes are not obligated to accept assistance from the school and must maintain authority over the terms in their NIL agreements. Beginning Aug. 1, member schools will be permitted to increase NIL-related support only for student-athletes who disclose their NIL arrangements.
Also effective immediately, Division I student-athletes who meet certain academic eligibility requirements will be immediately eligible at their next school, regardless of whether they transferred previously. Specifically, to be immediately eligible after a transfer, undergraduate student-athletes must have left their previous school while academically eligible and in good standing (not subject to disciplinary suspension or dismissal) and meet progress-toward-degree requirements at their new school before competing. For graduate transfer student-athletes to be eligible, they must earn a degree from their previous school, leave while academically eligible and be enrolled as a full-time postgraduate student while satisfying minimum academic standards.
wangus12
AG
I'd never want to coach in college with these rules.....unless I can get fired for 75 million
TAMU74
AG
wangus12 said:

I'd never want to coach in college with these rules.....unless I can get fired for 75 million
IMO this is THE reason Nick Saban said nomas and resigned.
I don't blame him either.
He got out on top and will be the GOAT for a very long time.
NIL will eventually destroy college football as we have known it. At least for me.
GigEmReggie
It's minor league pro football now with anarchic free agency and roster construction rules. It's really quite disgusting.
W
AG
it's a mess

and the problem for all universities including A&M...

which sports get the money

no school will be able to fund all sports at top dollar
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Been reading a lot about Ohio State's $34 Million Coaches and NIL money dump…

Reading some of the responses on this venerable website

So why didn't you post on that thread rather than start a new one?
A-A Ron
W said:

it's a mess

and the problem for all universities including A&M...

which sports get the money

no school will be able to fund all sports at top dollar
add in schools like A&M did yesterday and have to lay off athletic staff as another way to shuffle the money around. Highly doubt A&M will be the only athletic department that will go through layoffs.
Bogey1996
I just wish they could get rid of the collectives. I have no problem with NIL, if someone wants to make money off you Name, Image or Lickness, you should get compensation. If you are advertising for a company and they make a profit, you should get compensation. Being a back up OL or whatever that no one really knows your Name or who you are, why would they get NIL.
Iowaggie
AG
There was a reason the NCAA stayed with the sham amateurism policy.

$0 + Scholarship & expenses were easy to legislate and enforce.

Once some money could be paid to college students, there were no guardrails or limits. Any "limits" by the NCAA or colleges were going to be challenged in court and lost by the NCAA. College sports is now an income source. Any limits on that will be eventually challenged.

Why should athletes be limited to 4 years? Why shouldn't an athlete be allowed to play pro football and then come back and play college sports?

This was all so predictable.
greg.w.h
AG
Iowaggie said:

There was a reason the NCAA stayed with the sham amateurism policy.

$0 + Scholarship & expenses were easy to legislate and enforce.

Once some money could be paid to college students, there were no guardrails or limits. Any "limits" by the NCAA or colleges were going to be challenged in court and lost by the NCAA. College sports is now an income source. Any limits on that will be eventually challenged.

Why should athletes be limited to 4 years? Why shouldn't an athlete be allowed to play pro football and then come back and play college sports?

This was all so predictable.
Not to mention the incremental cost of educating another student is much less than the full freight scholarship implies. And even more so for out-of-state scholarships. Collect excess cash and book it to pay assistant profs, graduate teaching assistants, and administrators.

With that said: most Texas state-sponsored public universities hover around $10-15k for tuition, fees, and books. The rest is living expense and they have organized private construction via concessions and rather extraordinary pricing. But the athletes almost all live off campus so they don't necessarily fund the money raising through room and board scheme.
milner79
Bogey1996 said:

I just wish they could get rid of the collectives. I have no problem with NIL, if someone wants to make money off you Name, Image or Lickness, you should get compensation. If you are advertising for a company and they make a profit, you should get compensation. Being a back up OL or whatever that no one really knows your Name or who you are, why would they get NIL.
You should damn sure get paid for your Lickness.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.