Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Maroon & White Game Thread

24,092 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by vander54
oldarmy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My observation isn't so much about the execution as it is the design of the offense. I get everything you're saying about reading too much into execution.

It's the design that I'm not seeing having any refreshed approach
CoachLB
oldarmy1 said:

My observation isn't so much about the execution as it is the design of the offense. I get everything you're saying about reading too much into execution.

First Klein has said everything is not installed yet. Second spring games are as plain vanilla as you can get. Every spring game I have watched this spring is just basic.
Maroon Flash
AG
All we are going to see is plain vanilla today. Big benefit is that Coaches get to better assess depth chart and still a small amount of time to possibly hit portal.

Good that OL is getting tested against what should be a quality DL. If OL pushed DL around then suddenly an OC will look like a genius. I doubt Collin Klein suddenly forgot how to coach.
northeastag
AG
Wiegman may have a lock on QB1, but if he struggles I can't imaging Elko/Klein won't have a pretty quick hook. Reed looked more than a little better today.
Bigdaddycigar
AG
Maroon Flash said:

"Max who?"

Have same question. Who is Max that looks fat?

Sorry meant Connor
5 4
S
fieldtrailer said:

You can tell how bad this team is when all the plays are being made by transfers.
welcome to college football but that reality wont get in the way of your self Aggie hating BS.
The Collective
AG
oldarmy1 said:

sips come out slinging the ball. Manning connects on his first play for a bomb. TD

What we are seeing at the M&W game looks so much like Fisher, if you told me we hadn't made a change I'd believe it.

Get your offense spreading the ball around!

Practice 15 for this staff?
90ags
Think after seeing the 'drafting' of teams, it was obvious on paper who would be better.

Understand the weather could be an issue (potentially), but crowd size was more than disappointing (even for a glorified practice). Think game needs to be on family wkend and the student body should be a bit more interested in attending. Also understand no one knows about this team nor coaching staff, but should have been more reason to come and support (esp w some important recruits around - not a great spring game atmosphere, it was ok).

Friend texted that tu put a lot people the stands at their game today, but get they are pre-season top 5 (and many raving about baby Manning's day - not sure what that means, but guess he showed up well or something).
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
greg.w.h
AG
It's practice.
fieldtrailer
AG
CoachLB said:

oldarmy1 said:

First Klein has said everything is not installed yet. Second spring games are as plain vanilla as you can get. Every spring game I have watched this spring is just basic.

They look slow. No speed at rb or wr. Weakest rb group we've had in decades since Achane left.
northeastag
AG
I think I watched a different game than you.
Ag Tag
What was the attendance number?
Sterling82
Reed was the best QB today. He did his best rolling out and was able to find open receivers. I don't remember Weigman rolling out except once, maybe due to his foot. Regardless, he threw to covered receivers too frequently and didn't seem very comfortable in the offense. It was anything but open receivers on every play.
vander54
S
OL - much better than last year. Opened running lanes for RBs, communicated better and didn't look lost

RB - Solid group of RBs that should benefit from better OL play

WR - 2 or 3 great WR but little depth. Will need to address with his portal

TE - should be fine with Green returning Theo looked good

QB - Reed was the best QB of the day but Henderson looked good as well. Can't really judge Weigman because he had the worst WR group of the two teams and is till not 100%

DL - looks like they will be nasty

DB - much improved group. Solid coverage and swarmed to the ball.

LB - Solid group with 3 or 4 ready to play should be a strong group when the season starts.
World's worst proofreader
NewEra2023
AG
boyfriend said:

First half thoughts:

• Defense is dominating both sides
  • Secondary looks vastly improved
  • A lot of newcomers (transfers) making plays
  • Offensive line looks like a work in progress vs our Dline
  • Very few if any explosive passing plays
  • Marcell Reed's legs are a weapon; also allows him to buy time and make accurate passes
  • Stephen McGee is a natural in the broadcast booth

I think we still need help on the offensive line and at WR.

Yep still need a tackle
Aggie_Swag18
Sterling82 said:

Reed was the best QB today. He did his best rolling out and was able to find open receivers. I don't remember Weigman rolling out except once, maybe due to his foot. Regardless, he threw to covered receivers too frequently and didn't seem very comfortable in the offense. It was anything but open receivers on every play.
It's hard to criticize Weigman for throwing to covered receivers when we can't see the play develop down field and know who is open or what the progression is. Many of those I would expect a D1 receiver to still be able to come down with, but it looked like the white team was mostly 2nd string guys. Weigman looked good when throwing glance and access RPOs, when running dropback plays he seemed slow going through his progressions but again it's hard to say for sure without seeing a wider angle of the field. He definitely looked stiff and not very mobile out there. Way too many batted balls as well, but that also falls on the o-line who wasn't great in pass protection. Idk why Weigman didn't get much in the way of weapons out there compared to the maroon team.

Reed played much more instinctive and loose. I thought he got away with a few runs where the defense let up and they didn't blow the whistle, but overall it was a good performance for him.
Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
dustytool
Conner is still coming back from a pretty big injury. I imagine he's still a little concerned with movement and a little rusty. I'm sure not gonna count him out.
vander54
S
Weigman is still recovering from his injury and the teams were done by draft. Zuhn vs York
Sterling82
dustytool said:

Conner is still coming back from a pretty big injury. I imagine he's still a little concerned with movement and a little rusty. I'm sure not gonna count him out.

I certainly wouldn't count Weigman out. For all I know he may have had a great spring and today was simply due to circumstances. In any event it's the spring game and it's hard to get a read on much. I was pretty impressed with our D-Line potential though. The transfers look to be very good players.
TMF
AG
90ags said:

Think after seeing the 'drafting' of teams, it was obvious on paper who would be better.

Understand the weather could be an issue (potentially), but crowd size was more than disappointing (even for a glorified practice). Think game needs to be on family wkend and the student body should be a bit more interested in attending. Also understand no one knows about this team nor coaching staff, but should have been more reason to come and support (esp w some important recruits around - not a great spring game atmosphere, it was ok).

Friend texted that tu put a lot people the stands at their game today, but get they are pre-season top 5 (and many raving about baby Manning's day - not sure what that means, but guess he showed up well or something).

This team and program has severely disappointed for a long time. It's going to have to earn some respect. We would like to think we have a storied program and support no matter what, but this program has been an over priced turn for a long time.

Like to think we have a group of driven coaches who want to get it done over collecting a paycheck.
AgTrip
90ags said:

What the heck do they have to do with our spring game attendance, on a non parent day weekend, on a rainy day? Some of you all just look for ways to compare us to them. Who gives a single damn about them??
levypantsEOY
On rewatch- this o line is a serious work in progress. I know it's a spring game with a lot of moving parts but a cohesive unit needs to be put together in the next five months if there is going to be any chance of a good season.
Pretty vanilla all around. Hope they put in a Reed package every now and then to mix things up.
Citizen Reign
levypantsEOY said:

On rewatch- this o line is a serious work in progress. I know it's a spring game with a lot of moving parts but a cohesive unit needs to be put together in the next five months if there is going to be any chance of a good season.
Pretty vanilla all around. Hope they put in a Reed package every now and then to mix things up.

How could you possibly know that when the oline group was split into two teams and some starters were not even playing yesterday?

Elko even stated in the presser that it's "hard to make a lot of judgments on what happened out there today when mixing and matching two units".

With a new staff, they are trying to install the offense and ensure the team can get lined up with the tempo Elko wants the unit to run. They are not using this spring game for player or position group evaluation as much as programs in year three or four of a coaching staff.
vander54
S
Anyone that watched the spring game and does not feel better than last year needs help evaluating.
Batty
Some stats from the game

Le'Veon Moss -13 carries, 70 yards, 1 TD
Rueben Owens - 4 carries, 77 yards, 1 TD

Noah Thomas 7 catches 82 yards 2 TD

Marcel Reed 10-14, 84 yards, 1 TD
Jaylen Henderson 8-13, 100 yards, 1 TD
Conner Weigman 5-14, 47 yards

Shemar Stewart 7 tackles, a tackle for loss and a sack
Nic Scourton 3.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks
rangerdanger
AG
Sub-zero's departure is looking like a huge drop off at WR. I'm hoping Bussey pans out.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
It was very obvious that Zuhn(maroon team captain) chose a much better team than York(white team captain) did.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
dustytool said:

I'm not going to count Weigman out. He has a ton of talent, but I am not opposed to a QB competition. Reed and Henderson have playmaking ability and move the offense.
Klaus Schwab
If he can't run like Reed or Henderson then he's not going to start.
Ag-Yoakum95
AG
The only way he's not the starter come fall is if something happens to him and he reinjures the same foot
vander54
S
Correct. He's the starter as of now.
Furlock Bones
AG
didn't watch. but, from what i've read, it sounds like Conner isn't as good as he was and the oline is still subpar. That's not a recipe for a good season.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Furlock Bones said:

didn't watch. but, from what i've read, it sounds like Conner isn't as good as he was and the oline is still subpar. That's not a recipe for a good season.
I wouldnt read anything into a spring game where the teams were drafted. The coaches sure dont. We have a talented QB room, OL will make or break the season. Weigman is the real deal.
solishu
AG
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

dustytool said:

I'm not going to count Weigman out. He has a ton of talent, but I am not opposed to a QB competition. Reed and Henderson have playmaking ability and move the offense.
If you watch the game then you'll also see that there were at least two passes he put right on the money that receivers dropped.
TX_Aggie37
AG
oldarmy1 said:

They have had 15 practices to install and execute the offense. Not sure what anybody expected at this point. The summer and fall camp is where the biggest strides will be made.

Virtually nothing can be observed about the overall design of the offense from this film. This is the most basic of basic that we have, and I'm willing to bet these concepts we showed in the spring game exist in every single offense in the country except the option offenses. Gotta lay the foundation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.