Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Best QB room ever?

11,188 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by RARay
Ogre09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jake Hubenak and Conner McQueen!
VP at Pierce and Pierce
JoeAggie5 said:

As much as we all probably hate to admit it, it was probably the QB room that included Kyle Allen, Kyler Murray, and whoever else (that's probably more hindsight and what they've done after they left). I haven't bothered to research it, but other than Sumlin screwed that up, now that time has passed does anyone factually know what happened that led to them both leaving the program within days of each other?

Actual in the moment I would think some combination of Farris and McNeal or Tannehill and Johnson combined may have had very near the tops stats compared to other QB rooms.
From what I recall Allen went in first and understandably said "I am out" which led to Sumlin calling in Murray and telling him that he is the starter in the bowl and this is his team moving forward. Murray said he need some time to think about this. Well the team obviously found out about the entire situation and within a few hours packed his locker up in a box and left in outside the complex. I think someone reached out and told him he can pickup the box and move on.
AWP 97
AG
maroongoon95 said:

Wiegman, Henderson, and Reed I believe has to be the best QB room in the history of Aggie football. The only other one I could think of is perhaps Jerrod and Tanehill..... perhaps Johnny and Showers? Bucky, Pavlas, Pullig in the 80's? What y'all think!

What metrics are we using to determine this? I would trade all three of those guys for Johnny. He by himself is a better QB room than this current group.
Rex Racer
AG
JoeAggie5 said:

As much as we all probably hate to admit it, it was probably the QB room that included Kyle Allen, Kyler Murray, and whoever else (that's probably more hindsight and what they've done after they left). I haven't bothered to research it, but other than Sumlin screwed that up, now that time has passed does anyone factually know what happened that led to them both leaving the program within days of each other?

Actual in the moment I would think some combination of Farris and McNeal or Tannehill and Johnson combined may have had very near the tops stats compared to other QB rooms.
How quickly we forget that Jake Hubenak was also in the QB room with Kyle and Kyler. And Jake is the reason we all know the whole story behind that season and the mismanagement of the QB room.
W
AG
the answer is 2011

when Tannehill was a senior and JF redshirted
W
AG
the Allen-Murray QB room is considerably over-rated

while they have both played in the NFL...they have been very average to below average in the NFL

Kyler's QB record is 28-36-1 as a starter -- that's not real good

despite having excellent RB, WR, and TE talent around him
ahpetty33
AG
In stark contrast to the dozens of other QBs Texas A&M has put into the NFL with winning records
aglaes
AG
Johnny + anybody is the best QB room we've ever had.
carl spacklers hat
W said:

the answer is 2011

when Tannehill was a senior and JF redshirted
That roster had 6 QBs on it! And I agree - all-time great college QB and A&M's best pro QB.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
BartInLA
Kevin Murray had a rifle for an arm. Bucky was tough as nails. Johnny M was the most athletic. On any given play Johnny could make a touchdown with his arm or feet.
LB12Diamond
AG
Sounds like the sips last off season.
knoxtom
maroongoon95 said:

Wiegman, Henderson, and Reed I believe has to be the best QB room in the history of Aggie football. The only other one I could think of is perhaps Jerrod and Tanehill..... perhaps Johnny and Showers? Bucky, Pavlas, Pullig in the 80's? What y'all think!

So the best QB room we have ever had is a guy who has played 8 games, with decent success, but coming back from a MAJOR injury and may not be ready. Followed by a guy who has played 3 games for us, with decent success, who is ALSO coming off a major injury. Followed by a guy who has played 1 game with decent success.

You think this is better than the QB room with a Number 1 NFL pick/heisman winner AND a 5 star NFL guy.

Or better than the Senior long time NFL guy and future heisman winner combo?

These guys have potential but this is WAY closer to a "serious problem QB room" than it is to a "best ever QB room". Why do you even believe any of these guys can stay on the field?
Aggie Apotheosis
The Marksman said:

Dude we had two NFL QBs in Kyler Murray and Kyle Allen at the same time. I love our current QB room but this isn't even close to that.

Clearly this is the obvious answer.
Divining Rod
I honestly believe this is the best 3 QBs we've had ever as far as trusting them to competenty execute a game plan and to get much better through experience.

Will be very interesting to see how this goes.
12mn95
AG
knoxtom said:

maroongoon95 said:

So the best QB room we have ever had is a guy who has played 8 games, with decent success, but coming back from a MAJOR injury and may not be ready. Followed by a guy who has played 3 games for us, with decent success, who is ALSO coming off a major injury. Followed by a guy who has played 1 game with decent success.

You think this is better than the QB room with a Number 1 NFL pick/heisman winner AND a 5 star NFL guy.

Or better than the Senior long time NFL guy and future heisman winner combo?

These guys have potential but this is WAY closer to a "serious problem QB room" than it is to a "best ever QB room". Why do you even believe any of these guys can stay on the field?
the best response i have seen on here...had kyler and allen been drafted out of A&M people would say that this was the best QB room but since they transferred they still hold a grudge and don't want to acknowledge this one or the Tannehill manziel one...
Harry Dunne
maroongoon95 said:

Best in history. Til next year, at least.
ArcheryAg
W said:

while they have both played in the NFL...they have been very average to below average in the NFL

No difference than the current QB room. CW hasn't done nothing, Henderson unproven and same for Reed.
safety guy
AG
Stephen McGee, Ryan Tannehill, Jerrod Johnson.
Mike Mosley, David Beal, Gary Kubiak
Bucky Richardson, Craig Stump, Lance Pavlas
Jeff granger, Corey pullig, tommy Preston

There are many other groups also

We generally have had groups that we think have potential to be great. But you never know how it ends up.
rootube
AG
W said:

Hahaha

As opposed the other Aggie QB rooms with two NFL players who were both superstars in the NFL? I think you grossly underestimate how difficult it is to get an NFL paycheck as a QB.
Harry Dunne
W said:

Those 28 wins are more than the rest of Aggie QBs not named Tannehill combined!

Take away Allen and I'm not sure other Aggie QBs have won 10 NFL games total

aglaes
AG
rootube said:

W said:

Hahaha

As opposed the other Aggie QB rooms with two NFL players who were both superstars in the NFL? I think you grossly underestimate how difficult it is to get an NFL paycheck as a QB.
Wow - your hurdle for NFL superstar is pretty low. I'll give you that Kyler could be considered a star, but superstar? I think his star is already fading a bit.

No way Allen is superstar status, not even star status. He's a journeyman back-up who got a few opportunities to try to make it as starter. Great arm, but not a superstar (or star) NFL QB.
Rectitude
AG
Gunny456 said:

Damn guys…. The OP has his own opinion and he stated it. But he asked for other thoughts. Why slam him so bad? This is a forum for discussion after all. Not cutting folks down.
Agreed
Craigy
Walemon Price
agmeister
S
ChrisHansen said:

I know it's the offseason. But comments like this at anytime are just dumb imo. Who really cares? Only one can play except for an injury, and if the O line lets a qb get hurt again we won't be winning much anyway.

It was a running back.
johnhoward
Johnny and Showers were fire back in the day, but the old heads might argue for Bucky, Pavlas, Pullig.
rootube
AG
aglaes said:

rootube said:

W said:

Hahaha

Wow - your hurdle for NFL superstar is pretty low. I'll give you that Kyler could be considered a star, but superstar? I think his star is already fading a bit.

No way Allen is superstar status, not even star status. He's a journeyman back-up who got a few opportunities to try to make it as starter. Great arm, but not a superstar (or star) NFL QB.

You missed my point completely. There are two guys who were in the same QB room at A&M (for a short time) who are QB's in the NFL. It's irrelevant if you think they are superstars. Unless you can name two other Aggie QB's who played in the NFL this is a very simple question with a simple answer.
spherical
AG
While this whole thing is silly…

In the context of how our season is gonna go, I'd think best qb room would refer to their contribution to a&m… not anything after.
greg.w.h
AG
This entire thread is a

rootube
AG
spherical said:

While this whole thing is silly…

In the context of how our season is gonna go, I'd think best qb room would refer to their contribution to a&m… not anything after.

Come on it's a fun exercise if you like to make yourself miserable about what could have been.
dttd888
AG
Ol Rock said:

It's interesting how young people have so little observation of historical context. (Btw, I think this is common.

Other quality QB rooms:
2010 - Ryan Tannehill (NFL), Jerrod Johnson (NFL bound before shoulder injury)
2011 - Ryan Tannehill (NFL), Johnny Manziel (GOAT)
2012 - Johnny Football (Heisman, NFL), who cares who else was in the room, also Jameill Showers
2015 - Kyle Allen (NFL), Kyler Murray (Heisman, NFL)
2002 - Reggie McNeal, Dustin Long, Jason Carter (if you weren't here for Reggie McNeal you won't understand.)

Other potential QB rooms that I know little about.
Gary Kubiak
Kevin Murray

Bravo for the 2002 class of Reggie, Dustin Long, and the athletic Jason Carter who only went on to be a great receiver. Dustin Long set a record in his first start against Tech, I believe. Great QB room. Was my sophomore year.
Triple-T
AG
So Kenny Trill passed out at the Chicken wasn't the GOAT?
RARay
AG
Triple-T said:

So Kenny Trill passed out at the Chicken wasn't the GOAT?
Kenny Hill is our biggest what-might-have-been. He was absolutely capable of being an excellent QB but he was allowed to party like Johnny and couldn't handle it. Had he been able to start for two years - or maybe just even one full season - Kyle and Kyler could have developed behind him instead of flaming out of the program immediately. Though, all of that boils down to, "if Sumlin could manage the locker room ...".
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.