Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

George Strait concert as a% of the buyout

7,615 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by strbrst777
Sq 17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Obviously lots of rough math and estimates any thought on where my assumptions are wrong would be appreciated

Let's say the show is sell out
120,000 tickets and after expenses the athletic department makes $50 dollars on every ticket sold
That covers less one year of the buyout expenses

It is insane how much money A&M owes Jimbo
Edit given what they are asking for tickets they will clear more than $50 per person
If it sells out it could be in $15 million range just have to do it 3more times
Maroon Flash
AG
And no accountability
fulshearAg96
AG
I stopped donating a long time ago…
agchugger
AG
Brazil v Mexico in Kyle field on June 8 too. I think they're realizing the big empty stadium for 9 months can be a cash cow.
AggieDub04
AG
I think this all has a LOT more to do with the coming changes in college sports referenced by the new AD than it does the buyout.

A&M owes Jimbo $7.2M a year each year for the next 6 years (having already paid 25% of the total and the first annual installment). Elko's salary was $2M less than Fisher's and the pool for his assistants was $2M less than what fisher had so in reality A&M owes $3.2M a year on top of what they had already set for the next 6 years or about $19M in total. Thus the concert and the soccer game should just about cover that shortage. This doesn't account for assistant buyouts but those are lower and will certainly not be as long lasting.

The reality is there will need to be additional revenue and you have a venue that can generate that and produce cash flow for the athletic department. This is similar to what UT has done for decades in Austin which is a big part of why their athletic revenue is so high, it has a significant amount of non-athletic income built in via sports venues.
A is A
AG
agchugger said:

Brazil v Mexico in Kyle field on June 8 too. I think they're realizing the big empty stadium for 9 months can be a cash cow.
thats going to be a scorcher. hard pass.
1876er
AG
A is A said:

agchugger said:

June 8 will be a scorcher, but June 15 is OK?
agchugger
AG
Pfft.. What about our August/September home games??
milner79
AggieDub04 said:

The reality is there will need to be additional revenue and you have a venue that can generate that and produce cash flow for the athletic department. This is similar to what UT has done for decades in Austin which is a big part of why their athletic revenue is so high, it has a significant amount of non-athletic income built in via sports venues.

Charlie Moran
AG
I went to that ZZTop concert. What a scorcher it was but the lineup of Bad Company ( with Jimmy Page ) Joe Cocker and Santana with ZZ Top was awesome
"I didn't come here to lose!" Charley Moran
davido
AG
Night games and concerts, I assume? Texas summer daylight hours are for being in the water.
Dr. Teeth
AG
davido said:

Night games and concerts, I assume? Texas summer daylight hours are for being in the water.
Well, we wanted a lazy river, but.... NOOOOOOOOOO
SinKiller
A is A said:

agchugger said:

This stuff kills me, it's June, you'll be fine.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Agree with those saying it just makes sense to use the stadium/venue to generate revenue during the off season opposed to sitting empty.

Obviously the soccer game will use the field, but I'm guessing a decking or platform will be put down for the concert?
Sugarwater
agchugger said:

I'll be at this game with a bunch of friends. Use that money for Jimbo, use it for something else, don't really care. But I can't wait for this game in Aggieland.

Do you want to sell sugar water the rest of your life or change the world?
milner79
Me, too. Senior in HS. It was HOT on that AstroTurf. (Even hotter where the hippies set the field on fire, I guess.) But once the sun went down, it cooled a little and got fun.
Kraft Punk
agchugger said:

Soccer was invented by European ladies to keep them busy while their husbands did the cooking
javajaws
AG
A is A said:

agchugger said:

Dude, really?

gilhicks1
AG
This just in…we live in Texas and it gets hot during the summer!

News at 9.
JROD9398
Have to think the soccer game will be a sellout.

Those tix WILL NOT be at George Strait prices....

I think both of these events are a scalper's delight.
12thMan9
AG
Wait till we host the World's Largest Pickleball tourney.
Ronnie '88
LincolnBorglum79
AG
The Houston Texans might be willing to play a couple of home games At Kyle Field next year to help their bargaining power with Harris County on renewal of the lease of NRG Stadium which expires after the 2031 season. A Texans vs Cowboys game in December and maybe a KC Houston matchup while the Aggies are off or on the road might help generate some Payoff money.
JuneBug07
AG
A is A said:

agchugger said:

Soccer…Hard Pass
greg.w.h
AG
JuneBug07 said:

A is A said:

agchugger said:

Soccer…Hard Pass
Youre pronouncing it wrong. Football. Where they use their feet.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
milner79 said:

AggieDub04 said:

Don't think I've seen that poster before; thanks.
superunknown
AG
LincolnBorglum79 said:

The Houston Texans might be willing to play a couple of home games At Kyle Field next year to help their bargaining power with Harris County on renewal of the lease of NRG Stadium which expires after the 2031 season. A Texans vs Cowboys game in December and maybe a KC Houston matchup while the Aggies are off or on the road might help generate some Payoff money.

Do you think the Texans get to pick their schedule?
TyperWoods
Should have booked Taylor Swift and the Errors Tour for Kyle Field.
doback
The locals wont be happy with the fans I can tell you that
milner79
Call the Rock. Get some UFL in here ...
Pro Sandy
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Agree with those saying it just makes sense to use the stadium/venue to generate revenue during the off season opposed to sitting empty.

Obviously the soccer game will use the field, but I'm guessing a decking or platform will be put down for the concert?
It'll actually be with FTAB. Though he went to Southwest Texas State, he was in the Army. He'll march out with the bugle rank then play from the 50 yard line while FTAB does their thing and backs him up. Personnally I don't think Amarillo by Morning sounds good with a marching band, but the four way cross during ace in the hole will be awesome.
W
AG
AggieDub04 said:

I think this all has a LOT more to do with the coming changes in college sports referenced by the new AD than it does the buyout.

A&M owes Jimbo $7.2M a year each year for the next 6 years (having already paid 25% of the total and the first annual installment). Elko's salary was $2M less than Fisher's and the pool for his assistants was $2M less than what fisher had so in reality A&M owes $3.2M a year on top of what they had already set for the next 6 years or about $19M in total. Thus the concert and the soccer game should just about cover that shortage. This doesn't account for assistant buyouts but those are lower and will certainly not be as long lasting.

it's all one in the same

the opportunity cost to buy out Jimbo...impacts the funding of NIL...and thus the changes referred to by the new AD
Al Bula
AG
doback said:

The locals wont be happy with the fans I can tell you that
take it to the townie board, barnes
dcg4403
AG
fulshearAg96 said:

I stopped donating a long time ago…

My donations go directly to academics. Come on guys, this is a much smarter investment in this University. Athletic spending has been out of control since JFF and the dumb ass Jimbo contract just validated my concerns. True idiots everyone involved in that contract.
strbrst777
The Hall of Champions at Kyle Field is big and super nice. I've been there for a catered dinner and ring day.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.