Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Trev Alberts & UNO Wrestling/Football Program

7,474 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
rootube
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
People grossly overestimate how much decision making an AD does. I will guarantee you Alberts didn't wake up one morning and decide I'm going to nuke the wrestling team.
vander54
S
He did an outstanding job at UNO. The athletic program was in shambles before he got there. They couldn't keep an AD to save their lives, losing ADs to smaller programs. They took a risk with him and saw their best years financially.
World's worst proofreader
ApachePilot
AG
Wrestling is the world's greatest sport and gets crushed due to Title 9.
phatbc
OP sip troll probably
rootube
AG
ApachePilot said:

Wrestling is the world's greatest sport and gets crushed due to Title 9.

Wrestling would be in much better shape if they didn't wait till '25 to add women's wrestling as an NCAA championship sport.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
wangus12 said:

ce27 said:

We don't have wrestling. You worried he's going to cut football?
We can only hope someone is brave enough and strong enough to do it. It'll save lives in the long run

I know what it's usually like for me every year.

Last weekend of august…

Loss to big name team in second weekend…

Loss to an SEC team we "play down to. Usually coincides with opening weekend of rifle season.

Hope renews with late season game we should lose but somehow win.

LSU weekend.

cevans_40
AG
fightintxaggie10 said:

There has been two times this week Billy Liucci has mentioned the future of the Athletic Department and potentially cutting programs. Once on TexAgs Radio, once on Paul Finebaum Show in Nashville last week.

I just listened to Trev Alberts first press conference as AD; he is absolutely going to consider cutting sports to adjust for "new budgets" that the athletic dept is going to have to address on a yearly basis. Essentially that would be paying athletes.

Alberts said there are two ways to address these new expenses, increased revenue, and cutting costs. Get ready, the next 5 years in our athletic dept and across college athletics is going to see a lot of change.

This 100% truth.

I tried to tell everyone who was clamoring for paying college football players because they make the school money that they were signing a death certificate for non-revenue athletes but no one would listen or they just didn't care.
StinkyPinky
AG
cevans_40 said:

fightintxaggie10 said:

There has been two times this week Billy Liucci has mentioned the future of the Athletic Department and potentially cutting programs. Once on TexAgs Radio, once on Paul Finebaum Show in Nashville last week.

I just listened to Trev Alberts first press conference as AD; he is absolutely going to consider cutting sports to adjust for "new budgets" that the athletic dept is going to have to address on a yearly basis. Essentially that would be paying athletes.

Alberts said there are two ways to address these new expenses, increased revenue, and cutting costs. Get ready, the next 5 years in our athletic dept and across college athletics is going to see a lot of change.

This 100% truth.

I tried to tell everyone who was clamoring for paying college football players because they make the school money that they were signing a death certificate for non-revenue athletes but no one would listen or they just didn't care.
Curious to what sports would be the leading favorites to get cut? Obviously those that generate the least amount of revenue, but might be exceptions if they are low overhead or strategically significant in another manner.
NewEra2023
AG
S&D maybe
ABATTBQ11
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Quote:

Football was another matter entirely; it was a money loser that was going to require even more resources to upgrade to division 1-AA. In 2010, UNO had only made just over $100,000 in football ticket revenue contributing to a $1.4 million budget for the sport according to the World-Herald. Sadly, Alberts knew the football program just couldn't continue.
What am I missing here?

He cut the wrestling team hours after they won a DII national championship.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I sure hope he doesn't cancel our wrestling program too
greg.w.h
AG
He should cancel men's soccer…again….
TXAGBQ76
AG
Nooooooo!
TXAGBQ76
AG
Did it mention how much revenue the program was generating or losing annually?
cevans_40
AG
StinkyPinky said:

cevans_40 said:

fightintxaggie10 said:

This 100% truth.

Curious to what sports would be the leading favorites to get cut? Obviously those that generate the least amount of revenue, but might be exceptions if they are low overhead or strategically significant in another manner.
It doesn't really matter at this point. I honestly hope it's any and all sports that don't turn a profit. If you support NIL and paying college players, this is on you.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

If you support NIL and paying college players, this is on you.

Very fake news as to NIL

NIL in no way affects if these sports make a profit or loss

Maybe Alberts will cut programs. I have no idea. Did he at Lincoln?
greg.w.h
AG
Alberts was suggesting the current system can be sustained with more revenue. If they split off 40-50% of football revenue for the athletes the entire intercollegiate enterprise will collapse. That money pays for everything except capital investments which our donors have to a great extent funded. But there have been some builds that relied more heavily on bonds not upfront donations.

Blaming people for supporting NIL is pretty dumb. Something needed to change and at least for the two money sports it was unseemly how much the coaches get paid v. the total scholarship outlay for players. The schools were unaccountable and took it all for themselves and used player grant-in-aid contracts to prevent them contesting it.

Alston changes everything but was a limited scope decision on just educational benefits but found the NCAA responsible 9-0 for systemic antitrust violations. Admittedly it focused on the cash flows of the more successful programs, but the smaller schools set the rules with majority votes on "legislation."
vander54
S
All sports will be eliminated with the exception of Football, and maybe baseball or basketball.
World's worst proofreader
cevans_40
AG
vander54 said:

All sports will be eliminated with the exception of Football, and maybe baseball or basketball.
Fine. Its what these people deserve.
cevans_40
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

If you support NIL and paying college players, this is on you.

Very fake news as to NIL

NIL in no way affects if these sports make a profit or loss

Maybe Alberts will cut programs. I have no idea. Did he at Lincoln?
Money that was once donated to the 12th man foundation is now going to the players. It most certainly has an effect on the bottom line and if the revenue sharing legislation does pass, it will do the same.
Ag Tag
vander54 said:

That's one scenario, but what if it's the other way around with just football being eliminated and all other sports retained?
NyAggie
AG
fightintxaggie10 said:

yep

get ready to see schools across the country start cutting lesser sports that are money losers

RARay
AG
cevans_40 said:

vander54 said:

Honestly wondering what the issue is with this? Sports exist as social development for children and recreation for adults at the low end and entertainment at the high end. What is the purpose of college sports that don't have an audience?
BMX Bandit
Ag Tag said:

vander54 said:

That's one scenario, but what if it's the other way around with just football being eliminated and all other sports retained?

What is the moon was made of cheese, would you eat it?
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Money that was once donated to the 12th man foundation is now going to the players. It most certainly has an effect on the bottom line

Those sports, all operated at a loss before NIL, and continue to operate at a loss after IIL.

NL has nothing to do with why they operate at a loss.

It really says a lot about you that fans of women's diving "deserve" to have their sport cut because players in my football team are making money for NL.
Ag Tag
BMX Bandit said:

Ag Tag said:

vander54 said:

What is the moon was made of cheese, would you eat it?

Some of it, probably.
cevans_40
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Money that was once donated to the 12th man foundation is now going to the players. It most certainly has an effect on the bottom line

Those sports, all operated at a loss before NIL, and continue to operate at a loss after IIL.

NL has nothing to do with why they operate at a loss.

It really says a lot about you that fans of women's diving "deserve" to have their sport cut because players in my football team are making money for NL.

You have totally misinterpreted my opinion.

I believe that anyone who supports NIL and playing college players deserves this. They are the cause and should be labeled as such.
cevans_40
AG
RARay said:

cevans_40 said:

vander54 said:

Honestly wondering what the issue is with this? Sports exist as social development for children and recreation for adults at the low end and entertainment at the high end. What is the purpose of college sports that don't have an audience?
To represent their schools in athletic competitions.
BMX Bandit
I "represented" your position based on your own words.

NIL has nothing to do with what the "other" sports operate at a loss. They did so before NIL.
CrottyKid
AG
How would the university be adversely affected if we only had the following varsity sports?

Men's:
Football
Baseball
Basketball
Track

Women's:
Volleyball
Softball
Basketball
Track
Soccer
Gymnastics
(more women's sports to match numbers for Title IV due to football's large roster)

Would the student or alumni experience be tangibly different without golf, tennis, swimming & diving, etc.?
cevans_40
AG
BMX Bandit said:

I "represented" your position based on your own words.

NIL has nothing to do with what the "other" sports operate at a loss. They did so before NIL.
But it does take money away from the supply that is/was used to fund non-revenue sports.

Trev Alberts essentially outlined this is his introductory press-conference.
RARay
AG
cevans_40 said:

RARay said:

cevans_40 said:

vander54 said:

To represent their schools in athletic competitions.

Again, to what purpose?
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
NIL football -players will be forced to form a minor league !

College teams will revert to non-profit programs.

The sooner the better!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.