Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kadyn Proctor entering the portal too

12,278 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ags4DaWin
agchugger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow, its pretty amazing to see how much talent bama is losing. This is an interesting article discussing the portal.

https://www.on3.com/news/kalen-deboer-must-fight-to-keep-alabama-from-becoming-just-another-job/

I like the two points it makes:

• There are no destination jobs.
  • Your program is only as good as your most recent head coach hire.

While it hurt to lose a lot of talent in the portal, we clearly took advantage of it to fill the gaps to supplement the talent that stuck around. Such an interesting time in CFB. If you're coach is going to leave/get fired, hope it happens early so you're best prepared to take advantage of the portal.
lagoag
Good article, I'd hate it if Bama sucked.
TecRecAg
AG
Big kid, good film. He's going to be able to go anywhere he wants and start day 1.
The Marksman
AG
Proctor is elite. I'm hearing he's headed to Iowa though.
Blaser270
lagoag said:

Good article, I'd hate it if Bama sucked.
Yeah me too. NOT! Take us back to the pre-Saban days and stay there. Love the story that they are so poor they can't buy players. Problem is now they have competition from everyone and it's not fair. They still have enough friends in the NCAA and in the referee ranks that they'll manage to survive.
Deus Vult
agchugger said:

Wow, its pretty amazing to see how much talent bama is losing.

This can't be true, according to the Zoo football geniuses, good players only enter the portal from A&M.
Batty
Proctor fong'd to Iowa.
TxAg76
AG
Batty said:

Proctor fong'd to Iowa.

BMX Bandit
Back in the portal.

Back to Bama.

https://sports.yahoo.com/iowa-ot-kadyn-proctor-reportedly-leaving-hawkeyes-after-2-months-likely-returning-to-alabama-233524748.html

National legislation on a governing body can't get here soon enough. (Only way to avoid the antitrust cases)
Charlie Murphy
Dang. Nice payday(s) for that dude!
Welcome to the China Club

"Here's the pitch...POPPED it up! Oh man, that wouldn't be a home run in a phone booth."
-Harry Carey
NewEra2023
AG
agchugger said:

If you're coach is going to leave/get fired, hope it happens early so you're best prepared to take advantage of the portal.

OR it happens later after playoffs and you get a DeBoer
rootube
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Back in the portal.

Back to Bama.

https://sports.yahoo.com/iowa-ot-kadyn-proctor-reportedly-leaving-hawkeyes-after-2-months-likely-returning-to-alabama-233524748.html

National legislation on a governing body can't get here soon enough. (Only way to avoid the antitrust cases)

Curious. Why do you care about some Bama OL waffling on where he wants to go to school?
greg.w.h
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Back in the portal.

Back to Bama.

No…collective bargaining is a better choice.
rootube
AG
I'll put it another way. We've probably paid Ross Bjork ~$6M to be our athletic director and he went and jumped in the portal when he thought he found a better opportunity. I have no idea what Anias Smith made in NIL but I will pretty much guarantee he made less than $6M. Who was more loyal to A&M Smith or Bjork? Who made a bigger impact on Aggie football? Why isn't anyone calling for federal legislation to manage AD costs and transfers? Don't even get me started with the hundreds of $M sunk costs with Jimbo. And literally nobody seems to care about legislation to fix that issue.
AggieArchitect04
AG
rootube said:

I'll put it another way. We've probably paid Ross Bjork ~$6M to be our athletic director and he went and jumped in the portal when he thought he found a better opportunity. I have no idea what Anias Smith made in NIL but I will pretty much guarantee he made less than $6M. Who was more loyal to A&M Smith or Bjork? Who made a bigger impact on Aggie football? Why isn't anyone calling for federal legislation to manage AD costs and transfers? Don't even get me started with the hundreds of $M sunk costs with Jimbo. And literally nobody seems to care about legislation to fix that issue.

You want legislators to protect us from ourselves because we are idiots and agree to ridiculous contract terms?
rootube
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

rootube said:

You want legislators to protect us from ourselves because we are idiots and agree to ridiculous contract terms?

No I don't. I'm just pointing out that complaining about passing laws to prohibit athletes from transferring and getting paid is just as dumb as suggesting the exact same thing for coaches, AD's. Something everyone is OK with.
mitchdpm
AG
rootube said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

rootube said:

No I don't. I'm just pointing out that complaining about passing laws to prohibit athletes from transferring and getting paid is just as dumb as suggesting the exact same thing for coaches, AD's. Something everyone is OK with.

Okay, if we're going to compare employees to football players, going forward, the players need to have negotiated contracts with buyouts and terms. This is the fault in your analogy. We've got nothing controlling the movement of money and players. It needs to be regulated. I like the idea that they should be treated like contracted employees.
rootube
AG
mitchdpm said:

rootube said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

rootube said:

Okay, if we're going to compare employees to football players, going forward, the players need to have negotiated contracts with buyouts and terms. This is the fault in your analogy. We've got nothing controlling the movement of money and players. It needs to be regulated. I like the idea that they should be treated like contracted employees.

Please elaborate on what we have "Controlling the money and movement of coaches and AD's." Contracts???
ccolley68
AG
rootube said:

mitchdpm said:

rootube said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

rootube said:

Please elaborate on what we have "Controlling the money and movement of coaches and AD's." Contracts???
Yes, contracts. Buyout clauses, performance clauses, behavior clauses, etc. Players have nothing but handshake agreements for money and there are no repercussions for either party. It's insanity.
GAC06
AG
Imagine being named "Kadyn"

Yikes
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Curious. Why do you care about some Bama OL waffling on where he wants to go to school?

I've cared about college football for going on 40 years. Why? Who knows. It's fun to watch? Great memories from games and with games as background?

I don't particularly care where Proctor plays next year. I care about problems in the sport. If you can't see the problem with players transferring twice in the same semester, that's on you.

Transferring isn't going away. Nor should it. But there should be limitations, and that is eventually going to be back in place.

rootube
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

I've cared about college football for going on 40 years. Why? Who knows. It's fun to watch? Great memories from games and with games as background?

I don't particularly care where Proctor plays next year. I care about problems in the sport. If you can't see the problem with players transferring twice in the same semester, that's on you.

Transferring isn't going away. Nor should it. But there should be limitations, and that is eventually going to be back in place.

I don't see a problem with it at all. In fact if he transferred to Iowa in the middle of the season this year I also wouldn't care. Apparently Iowa was interested enough to pursue him and Bama was interested enough to take him back. If Bama really wanted to take a stand they could have told him to jump in a lake. Which they probably should have.

In the history of employment has any employee ever hopped back and forth between jobs? Is anyone crying we need to prevent people from job hopping by passing laws. No.
rootube
AG
ccolley68 said:

rootube said:

mitchdpm said:

rootube said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

rootube said:

Yes, contracts. Buyout clauses, performance clauses, behavior clauses, etc. Players have nothing but handshake agreements for money and there are no repercussions for either party. It's insanity.

Coaches have contracts. How are they working at preventing coaches from leaving and getting fired.
ABATTBQ11
AG
rootube said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

rootube said:

There's a difference in that one attends the university and the other is an employee.
rootube
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

rootube said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

rootube said:

There's a difference in that one attends the university and the other is an employee.

That's a difference that really only exists in the mind of someone working for the NCAA but who is probably polishing their resume instead of working to keep up the facade.
WdlsAg
Kadyn is going to get Caitlyn Clark-type money!!!!
Ags4DaWin
rootube said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

rootube said:

If the students are now employees scholarships need to start being treated like employment contracts.

The students seem to want it both ways....the ability to freelance and shop their skills like any employee without the restrictions of an employment contract.

Pick one
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.