Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The biggest issue I have with the Donovan Wilson penalty (Sorry, I know)

6,334 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAggie2011
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know this has been discussed ad nauseum. But something I don't think that has been mentioned enough is that the refs weren't the ones who called this right? There was never a flag thrown. The replay officials just came out and called it targeting. That is what really bothers me.
bero88
I have an issue that they call him defenseless when he was trying to make a tackle. I guess we can just let him make the tackle or just start going for their knees...
MarriedInAggie
Agreed. No flag thrown on either "Targeting" play, yet one was reviewed in the booth and changed the flow of the game.
Wabs
AG
It's clear. A player running with the ball is not defenseless, but a player trying to tackle him is.
JodyMcD96
AG
Wabs said:

It's clear. A player running with the ball is not defenseless, but a player trying to tackle him is.
And that is only part of the rule.

Part 1 states that a player that leads with the crown of his helmet is a foul.
BMX Bandit
bero88 said:

I have an issue that they call him defenseless when he was trying to make a tackle. I guess we can just let him make the tackle or just start going for their knees...

By definition, a blind side block is on a defenseless player.

There's a lot of space to hit between the head & knees.

Champ: agree with you. Right call was made, but booth should have looked at Speedy hit the same way.
bevokilla
AG
Is there a decent replay of the Donovan hit?
Hobbes01
AG
bevokilla said:

Is there a decent replay of the Donovan hit?
Not decent, but what I've found (if link works).

Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
You can be upset that the targeting wasn't called on the hit against Speedy, but Wilson's hit was pretty clearly targeting.
Citizen Reign
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

You can be upset that the targeting wasn't called on the hit against Speedy, but Wilson's hit was pretty clearly targeting.

...and Wilson's hit was flat out stupid. No reason not to hit in the chest or shoulder.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Citizen Reign said:

...and Wilson's hit was flat out stupid. No reason not to hit in the chest or shoulder.
Really no reason to hit him at all. George was already running out of bounds and stiff arming the guy. You can see George slowing down as he approaches sideline before Wilson hits that guy.
Dengus
AG
I knew they were gonna call that. 1) because I saw the helmet to helmet 2) meaningless block 3) the guy stayed on the ground. If speedy would've have stayed down "hurt" then I bet they call the targeting.
Tamu_mgm
AG

Not what OP was upset about. He's upset about booth officials calling it and not field officials who were right in front of it. Although it was the right call, we could have gotten away with one.
LB12Diamond
AG
So has this happened in any other games? I have not heard of reviews taking place such as this. I thought it had to be called on the field to be reviewed.

The one thing I did not like it about is bc of the review we can not play quick and maybe catch their D not ready. Bugs me on turnover reviews all the time.
BMX Bandit
Yes it's happened a couple other times

New rule this year.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG

slacker00
AG
Was at the game. Seem to recall flag being thrown and replay shown on the video board quite a few times. On the Speedy play, no flag and no in stadium replay.
AWP 97
AG
The only thing I can think of on Donovan's hit was that he left his feet and the tackler was somewhat engaged with George. Best guess.
cc10106

Citizen Reign said:

Really no reason to hit him at all. George was already running out of bounds and stiff arming the guy. You can see George slowing down as he approaches sideline before Wilson hits that guy.
I'm not advocating that Wilson should have targeted the Bama player, especially after a turnover, but I'm glad Donovan stepped up to Bama in the first half and showed some grit. Between that play and OJ Howard laying on the ground after his TD, it certainly got their attention. Someone had to punch Bama in the mouth after what happened to Speedy and other missed calls.
Schrute
slacker00 said:

Was at the game. Seem to recall flag being thrown and replay shown on the video board quite a few times. On the Speedy play, no flag and no in stadium replay.
I'm shocked.
ClassOf17
Dengus said:

I knew they were gonna call that. 1) because I saw the helmet to helmet 2) meaningless block 3) the guy stayed on the ground. If speedy would've have stayed down "hurt" then I bet they call the targeting.

Texas/ND says hi
schmellba99
AG
Citizen Reign said:

....and that is where he did hit him. It was a crappy call by the booth, simply made because the hit "looked" like it may have been targeting.
VikingNik
AG
Full speed I thought at the time it was a hard but within the rules hit. Certainly borderline and unnecessary. But they should have swallowed their whistles, talked to the coaches and said "Now it is even. No more of this."
Sock Puppet
the biggest problem i have with it was that Wilson didn't hit him hard enough to take him out for the rest of the game. 34 came back in the 2nd half.

If you are going for the knock out w the potential to get kicked out for targeting, Make it freaking count. Hit him so hard he ****s his pants.

if you're not going to do that....practice hitting lower on the body.
Claud
I was mad at that call too because both targeting calls should have been called.

Additionally, I was really excited about the int but to be honest was also a tad angry thinking if Bama makes that play it is a pick 6.
BigRed12
AG
Technically, targeting could have been called on #30 for Bama on the Speedy hit and on the Evans hit on the next kickoff. Both hits imploded the facemasks of the ball carrier and were helmet to helmet.
Dale Gribble
Sock Puppet said:

the biggest problem i have with it was that Wilson didn't hit him hard enough to take him out for the rest of the game. 34 came back in the 2nd half.

If you are going for the knock out w the potential to get kicked out for targeting, Make it freaking count. Hit him so hard he ****s his pants.

if you're not going to do that....practice hitting lower on the body.

Yep, should have done the neck breaker instead.
pirmag
AG
From that video you can't say the D wilson block was targeting. What I saw during the game looked like he put his shoulder on the defender's shoulder and that there may have been some inadvertant helmet contact.
Schrute
Borderline calls will mostly go with the home team, especially when you're Bama.

I just cannot understand why they didn't at least review the hit on Speedy. Kinda like they didn't review the hit against the ND player in the tu game.
AggieBill005
AG
Yet, the hit on Speedy was not called as targeting, though it is pretty clear that the crown of the defender's helmet made contact with Speedy's facemask first.
htownag10
AG
How many threads do we have on targeting going now? 10?
Claud
htownag10 said:

How many threads do we have on targeting going now? 10?
How hard is it to skip threads you don't want to read???
aggiefan09
AG
I don't think Wilson targeted on account of the area of helmet available for helmet to helmet was covered by George's hand, which would have been smashed between 2 helmets and he made no indication of his hand getting smashed.
agsquirrel97
AG
here is youtube clip from game that shows both angles of the play, head on and from the side.

Should be targeting, but I agree that it is frustrating that one is reviewed in the booth correctly and the other is either not reviewed or completely blown review.

Also - here are the block in the back and non block in the back penalties.

Block in the Back by us:

Not a Block in the back by them:

And screw you, I ain't making gifs for your lazy arses.

edit: spelling

Bowlinag
AG
slacker00 said:

Also when Wilson hit him the guys laid there playing it up. From what I remember Speedy just jumped up and did not stop play down.

I wonder if there may have been a review if he stayed on the ground for a while like he was in pain.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.